PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Imagio
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2010, 12:25 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio
Carrier: Verizon

Rollercat is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Emails not deleting on Outlook exchange server

When I delete an email on my Imagio it does not delete the email on the Outlook exchange server.

Does anyone know where I can find the setting to make this work (if such a setting exists that is).

Many thanks!
Old 03-10-2010, 12:55 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

cslawren is keeping up the good workcslawren is keeping up the good work
Re: Emails not deleting on Outlook exchange server

I've noticed the same thing, but they do actually delete later. I think the server pushes to the device, but when you delete messages, the phone doesn't necessarily "push" to the server.
SYS: Windows Mobile 6.5.5 23568
Old 03-10-2010, 01:10 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Imagio

robocrop is becoming a great contributor

I see the same thing. The server pushes to the device. The device synchs back to the server. I am not sure what the synch time is while you are in push mode.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:14 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

jeff_roey is keeping up the good workjeff_roey is keeping up the good workjeff_roey is keeping up the good work

I'm sure you checked this:

(1) From Email Inbox go to: Menu -> Tools -> Options . . . -> and tap on your email account.

(2) Tap Send/Receive Schedule -> Advanced Settings -> and make sure the "When Deleting Messages" pull-down shows "Delete Them Off The Server"
Old 03-10-2010, 04:26 PM
N00b

blue_94_trooper is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_roey View Post
I'm sure you checked this:

(1) From Email Inbox go to: Menu -> Tools -> Options . . . -> and tap on your email account.

(2) Tap Send/Receive Schedule -> Advanced Settings -> and make sure the "When Deleting Messages" pull-down shows "Delete Them Off The Server"
Those options only exist for POP3/IMAP email accounts. Outlook email using Exchange via ActiveSync does not give you that choice.

edit: I just deleted an email on my phone and it was deleted from my desktop Outlook about 2 minutes later.

edit: I tried it a couple of more times. First time took 2 minutes, second time took 5.

Last edited by blue_94_trooper; 03-10-2010 at 04:43 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:35 PM
mhrc4

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

okay people, listen up, quick refresher on how ActiveSync works with WM and an Exchange server.

With WM and activesync, when AS is enabled and set to sync "As Items Arrive" what is happening in the background is the phone is maintaining a connection with the exchange server on a consistent basis. As soon as the Exchange server identifies that a new message has hit your mailbox, it sends a command back to AS to trigger a sync. Needless to say, this is still very old school, but it is the same way that Blackberry syncs email with their BES.

The big drawback to the WM and AS solution, is that WM does not have the triggers in your Pocket Outlook to tell AS that when a command is taken on the phone that is not a SEND EMAIL (i.e. a message is moved, deleted, etc) to initiate a sync.

Blue_94_Trooper. what you are probably seeing is that as your phone deletes the items, either another email or event hits your mailbox on the Exchange side and forces AS to initiate a sync, hence the difference in times of deleting an email

This is unfortunately, just how it is. I can attest to this as I have been working as an IT Consultant, Microsoft Certified Exchange engineer for over 8 years now, since "push" technology was rolled out to Windows Mobile.

To give you an idea, I was out today at a personal appointment, checking email, etc. I last got 3 emails around 2:00pm PST. I read them, moved two of them, and left the other in my inbox. I then turned and drove an hour back home. When i sat down and logged into Outlook, all 3 messages were sitting in my Inbox, unread. A quick manual sync of AS, and all 3 were applied the appropriate permissions.

Hope this helped shed a little light on how AS works.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:28 AM
N00b

blue_94_trooper is just getting started

Thanks for the info. I was looking for something that might have forced it (e.g. a new email) but there wasn't anything obvious. I'm assuming there was some system event on the Exchange server or the device that forced the sync but for now I can't figure out what it was.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Imagio

Tags
delete, email, exchange server, imagio, outlook