PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Imagio (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   Traveling Abroad (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=113026)

fluidj 03-04-2010 08:57 PM

Traveling Abroad

Wasn't able to find a CURRENT post on this subject specifically for the Imagio.
Going to Europe in a few months and I would like to know what this phone can do for me.
Any pointers/advice? I would ask specific questions but I honestly have no clue what questions to ask. I understand it's a world phone, but beyond that....i'm clueless.

jbh00jh 03-04-2010 09:23 PM

Re: Traveling Abroad

Before you leave , call VZW and ask them to unlock you SIM card because you are going abroad . With your SIM unlocked you can use your phone on the overseas gsm networks which is cheaper than using VZW overseas.
When you get over there get a SIM card for the local service . Someone at VZW can explain this to you so you don't make any mistakes. Have fun over there.

fluidj 03-04-2010 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbh00jh (Post 1607416)
Before you leave , call VZW and ask them to unlock you SIM card because you are going abroad . With your SIM unlocked you can use your phone on the overseas gsm networks which is cheaper than using VZW overseas.
When you get over there get a SIM card for the local service . Someone at VZW can explain this to you so you don't make any mistakes. Have fun over there.

Thanks. Is there a way to purchase the card here and already have it when I get there? Going to both Paris and London.

jbh00jh 03-04-2010 10:21 PM

I have never done it but I read in one of these threads you can order the SIM cards online . I am sure someone here can fill you in on how to do it or you can try to google the info.

makryger 03-04-2010 10:25 PM

The SIM card is already in your phone. You just have to phone verizon and ask them to activate the global roaming plan.

As I said in this post http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=109585...

I used the Imagio in Global mode while I was in Turkey. Verizon has a great plan that is basically $2 a day for unlimited internet abroad. I was worried, because the Verizon map did not show 3G service in Turkey. But as it turns out, everything worked VERY well. Fast enough speeds for all basic activities. I was able to use it via Skype to make phone calls without issue. I was able to tether it to my laptop and get internet on my computer basically anywhere. The most life-saving part was that I was able to use Google maps to navigate the very confusing streets of Istanbul. Everything just worked.

I can't say the same thing about blackberry phones though- other members of my family have the Tour and Storm 2, both World Phones. For some reason, they could not connect to 3G service abroad- the phones ended up freezing every few minutes and had to be restarted. The only way to fix it was to switch the phone to 2G mode.

fluidj 03-04-2010 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbh00jh (Post 1607547)
I have never done it but I read in one of these threads you can order the SIM cards online . I am sure someone here can fill you in on how to do it or you can try to google the info.

will do. thanks.
my original google search only came up with outdated results as Verizon only had the World blackberry as there only world phone for so long. Still seams a lot of people aren't aware of the number of SIM card phones Verizon offers now.

jbh00jh 03-04-2010 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by makryger (Post 1607552)
The SIM card is already in your phone. You just have to phone verizon and ask them to activate the global roaming plan.

As I said in this post http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=109585...

I used the Imagio in Global mode while I was in Turkey. Verizon has a great plan that is basically $2 a day for unlimited internet abroad. I was worried, because the Verizon map did not show 3G service in Turkey. But as it turns out, everything worked VERY well. Fast enough speeds for all basic activities. I was able to use it via Skype to make phone calls without issue. I was able to tether it to my laptop and get internet on my computer basically anywhere. The most life-saving part was that I was able to use Google maps to navigate the very confusing streets of Istanbul. Everything just worked.

I can't say the same thing about blackberry phones though- other members of my family have the Tour and Storm 2, both World Phones. For some reason, they could not connect to 3G service abroad- the phones ended up freezing every few minutes and had to be restarted. The only way to fix it was to switch the phone to 2G mode.

I am aware that there is a SIM card in the phone , I was refering to SIM cards from foreign carriers that you can use in this phone. VZW will unlock your SIM card so you can use one from another carrier overseas.

jbh00jh 03-04-2010 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fluidj (Post 1607555)
will do. thanks.
my original google search only came up with outdated results as Verizon only had the World blackberry as there only world phone for so long. Still seams a lot of people aren't aware of the number of SIM card phones Verizon offers now.

Google " Foreign SIM cards " , you will find several websites that sell the cards.

jonharm 03-04-2010 11:50 PM

I'd just get a "pay as you go" over there - that's what I have when we go visit the wife's parents oversees. Cheaper rates, in my experience - that is, unless you MUST have your phone number.

makryger 03-05-2010 12:17 AM

I just used skype when I had to make phone calls, through the 3G Network. And then I had the Verizon SIM in case of emergencies. Unless you plan on using your phone regularly while in Europe, I don't know if its worth buying a SIM card. For me, skype was more than adequate for the occasional call. And I didn't need to go through Verizon's SIM at all for voice during the two weeks I was there.