PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Imagio
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2010, 03:19 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio
Carrier: Verizon

zuckerj is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
HARDSPL vs New ROM Upgrade

I'm sure this is a relatively inane question, but as I'm part of the human race it's nothing out of the ordinary for me to make an inane query.

What exactly is the difference between the ROM upgrade that Verizon just released, and the HardSPL that is being discussed?

And while a technical definition of exactly how both are different will be appreciated, I'm a little more interested in what difference each will have on the overall functionality of my Imagio phone.

Thanks in advance for not making too much fun of me, and for any informative responses.

Jz.
Old 02-27-2010, 03:47 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC Thunderbolt
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

davidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to davidetkin511
Re: HARDSPL vs New ROM Upgrade

Hard spl will allow you to flash a custom rom, it is not a rom itself. The vzw rom is a stock rom released by verizon.

This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-27-2010, 03:49 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC Incredible ,HTC Imagio

jbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I'm not a tech whiz so someone else can give you the tech answer.
But basically vzw locks the rom on your phone so you have to use their rom and their calling/data network. When you unlock the HSPL you are able to download roms from Sprint , T-Mobile , etc. and use their networks.
Also you or someone you know can create your own rom and put exactly the apps you want on your phone and remove the ones from the mfgr. that we call bloatware , that you have no use for. Also you don't have to wait for vzw to update you to the latest rom. If you want WM 6.5.3 on your phone and a 6.5.3 rom is out there you can flash it on your phone now . And you can change to a new rom whenever you get tired of the one you have.
You can have the latest and greatest without buying a new phone every three months. That's it in a nutshell. I am sure someone will fill the holes I missed , like you can flash a upgraded radio for better reception. And so on.
Radio
1.39.00.0627r
Old 02-27-2010, 03:51 PM
WHERES THE BOTTLES!!
Pocket PC: hTC hD2
Carrier: tMOBILE

maxtcee should be added to the payroll for their contributionsmaxtcee should be added to the payroll for their contributionsmaxtcee should be added to the payroll for their contributionsmaxtcee should be added to the payroll for their contributionsmaxtcee should be added to the payroll for their contributionsmaxtcee should be added to the payroll for their contributionsmaxtcee should be added to the payroll for their contributionsmaxtcee should be added to the payroll for their contributionsmaxtcee should be added to the payroll for their contributionsmaxtcee should be added to the payroll for their contributionsmaxtcee should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbh00jh View Post
But basically vzw locks the rom on your phone so you have to use their rom and their calling/data network. When you unlock the HSPL you are able to download roms from Sprint , T-Mobile , etc. and use their networks.
Also you or someone you know can create your own rom and put exactly the apps you want on your phone and remove the ones from the mfgr. that we call bloatware , that you have no use for. Also you don't have to wait for vzw to update you to the latest rom. If you want WM 6.5.3 on your phone and a 6.5.3 rom is out there you can flash it on your phone now . And you can change to a new rom whenever you get tired of the one you have.
You can have the latest and greatest without buying a new phone every three months. That's it in a nutshell. I am sure someone will fill the holes I missed , like you can flash a upgraded radio for better reception. And so on.
Sounds Like A Tech Wiz To Me
Well PUT
Old 02-27-2010, 03:58 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: EVO3D
Carrier: SERO-P

lafester knows their stufflafester knows their stufflafester knows their stufflafester knows their stufflafester knows their stufflafester knows their stufflafester knows their stuff

just go to the touch pro 2 upgrades section and look at what is being offered there.
Old 02-27-2010, 04:03 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio
Threadstarter

zuckerj is a n00b

Thanx everyone. I think I'm getting it now.

We need Cmonex to finish the HSPL in order for other to cook custom ROMs that we can then install on our phones for added/different functionality depending on the cooked ROM.

The HSPL is something akin to unlocking the phone.

Great. If I have any of this wrong, please don't hesitate to enlighten me.

Jz.
Old 02-27-2010, 04:06 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC Thunderbolt
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

davidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to davidetkin511

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuckerj View Post
Thanx everyone. I think I'm getting it now.

We need Cmonex to finish the HSPL in order for other to cook custom ROMs that we can then install on our phones for added/different functionality depending on the cooked ROM.

The HSPL is something akin to unlocking the phone.

Great. If I have any of this wrong, please don't hesitate to enlighten me.

Jz.
Correct! Dont forget to press thanks.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:32 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC IMAGIO
Carrier: AIRCEL-INDIA

mally2 is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbh00jh View Post
Well your almost right except that HSPL wont let u use other carriers such as ATT and others on thier network.. u need sim unlocker for that,,,,,, oh yes an only Cmonex can do that tooo

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Imagio