PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Imagio
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2010, 04:09 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio / Titan VX6800
Carrier: Verizon

larry0071 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Phone memory problem, memory full.

My Imagio has been ticking along fine since I purchased it a week after it was released. No problems at all.... but now with nothing on my end changing, I have a memory issue.

When I watch You-Tube it will get part of the video downloaded and then send up an error saying that you are out of memory and need to free up at least 1.5MB. Email sends a similar error saying that it can not download email.

In the very beginning I adjusted the phone to stuff emails into the 16GB mem card, so the email should not be an issue..... but I notice that if I dump out all email from inbow/sent and then deleted folders, I will get back 10-15 MB. If I combine that with Opera/SkyFire clear cache/cookies I get back a total of approx 25 MB. Within a few days, all issues are back.

I am currently running 2 business email accounts and one live.com personal address. I do use the MMS and SMS very often, but I think I properly used the settings to send all of that to the card as well?

Here is where I stand right this moment:

Storage:
Total 242.48 MB
In Use 239.44 MB
Free 3.05 MB

Program:
Total 179.50 MB
In Use 108.93 MB
Free 70.57

Storage Card Memory
Total 15185.50 MB
In Use 12029.28 MB
Free 3156.22 MB

So I have about 3 Gig left on the card, the running program memory appears to be doing just fine, but the storage memory is hammer-screwed!

What could I be missing, doing wrong, or not doing? I have very few programs installed to the phone memory, most are downloaded programs that are installed to memory card. One program that is on the phone is Assassins Creed 2 that I purchased from the market place. I can dump it I suppose and download a pirate version to save that memory if it is in the memory chunk that I am in trouble with.

Please help me get this straight, I am not a format/reload kind of dude.... I prefer to own it for 2 years and never have to learn that trick!
Old 02-22-2010, 06:08 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Re: Phone memory problem, memory full.

I decided to purge all email and SMS/MMS from the phone to see what that does to the memory.

Storage:
Total 242.48 MB
In Use 235.37 MB
Free 7.12 MB

Not much. There is something hiding out in this phone. I can really use some guidance if anyone has any to offer.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:54 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio

keithdupont is still contributing even after becoming a VIPkeithdupont is still contributing even after becoming a VIPkeithdupont is still contributing even after becoming a VIPkeithdupont is still contributing even after becoming a VIPkeithdupont is still contributing even after becoming a VIPkeithdupont is still contributing even after becoming a VIPkeithdupont is still contributing even after becoming a VIPkeithdupont is still contributing even after becoming a VIPkeithdupont is still contributing even after becoming a VIPkeithdupont is still contributing even after becoming a VIPkeithdupont is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

What all do you have installed not counting factory software? Where are photos being stored? Do you use Market place app?
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:23 PM
N00b

dwittmier is just getting started

I have a large number of applications installed but I still have 131mb free in my storage. Nearly every program I have is stored to the card. That said, I am still only using 5gb on a 16gb card. I see you have a ton of stuff on your memory card as well.

One thing that might help you pin down where all the stuff is that is taking up so much space is to use Total Commander to check the sizes of directories like 'Program Files', 'My Documents', 'Music', etc. Do this by highlighting the directory and holding. When the menu pops up select properties. (don't use File Explorer, it won't give you directory sizes, only file sizes). For example, my 'Program Files' folder is 34mb. I consider that reasonable but I wouldn't want to go much more than that.

If the 'Program Files' is large (80-90mb) the only thing you can do is start uninstalling things. However, I suspect you may have music, pictures or video that is stored in main memory somewhere instead of on the card. That stuff will eat up space in a hurry.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:27 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

briannowicki is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbriannowicki is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbriannowicki is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbriannowicki is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbriannowicki is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

It has to be your internal memory storage.. only way u can solve this is to go to Settings/System/Remove Programs-- and take off useless crap that you dotn use anymore. i had the same problem when i want download crazy. even when you might install to storage card the programs usually write their own file in your internal storage which after a while it can add up.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:50 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

OK, when I get time today (as in finish the work that needs done at my job) I'll start purging all my games and stuff. I have maybe 20 games installed to the storage card, about 700 MP3's on the card, and I have DIVX player and maybe 8 rips of movies. I'll start by removing all the games except SONIC because my daughter constantly plays that.

I will report back as to what I get after removing stuff.

I never installed music to tha phone, I placed the card into my laptop and transfered music from the PC to the card and then put the card back into the phone.

I have photos set to go on the card and have no photos in the phone memory "pictures" folder.

I tried from day 1 to not touch the internal memory, using the experiance I had from the Titan to steer me in the right direction.

I'm really wondering if the games are doing as is suggested above and placing a copy of the game into the phone memory as well as in the card? This seems like the only viable option at first glance.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:21 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

BroMarduk is becoming a PPCGeeks regularBroMarduk is becoming a PPCGeeks regularBroMarduk is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Don't forget contacts (including photos), appointments, mail & attachments (unless the storage card is specified in the Mail settings) are all stored in hidden databases in Storage.

Good way to tell if that is the problem is after a phone reset to check the amount of storage before and after a sync is completed.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:22 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

briannowicki is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbriannowicki is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbriannowicki is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbriannowicki is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbriannowicki is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry0071 View Post
OK, when I get time today (as in finish the work that needs done at my job) I'll start purging all my games and stuff. I have maybe 20 games installed to the storage card, about 700 MP3's on the card, and I have DIVX player and maybe 8 rips of movies. I'll start by removing all the games except SONIC because my daughter constantly plays that.

I will report back as to what I get after removing stuff.

I never installed music to tha phone, I placed the card into my laptop and transfered music from the PC to the card and then put the card back into the phone.

I have photos set to go on the card and have no photos in the phone memory "pictures" folder.

I tried from day 1 to not touch the internal memory, using the experiance I had from the Titan to steer me in the right direction.

I'm really wondering if the games are doing as is suggested above and placing a copy of the game into the phone memory as well as in the card? This seems like the only viable option at first glance.
See i did the same thing i have a 8g storage card i started downloading little games and apps here and there and downloading them to my storage card but as i did i was watching my internal storage go up as well till finally my phone couldnt run manila actually. So i started to delete some of those unused apps and what not and it free'd it up so im not sure.
Either way HSPL seems like it is on its way and should be out soon so im probably looking at a hard reset anyways and ill start from scratch and watch what i download!

Hope this all helps
Old 02-24-2010, 11:33 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

OK, I dumped every program installed except my daughters SONIC game, that was about 15 games.

I realized that I have a metric shit ton of microsoft color pallets in there, can they be dumped since I use Mobile Shell 3.5?
These are things like:
Microsoft Ron Arad Orange
Microsoft Rock and Republic Black
Microsoft DVF Green
There are 6 of these MS colors listed.

Also, I now use Mobile Shell 3.5 and I see that I have something called PPC Visuals Dusk 6.5 Lockscreen v3.0 installed, is this still required while using the Mobile Shell 3.5?

Another find is MEANN GREEN Imagio Rotational Final, is this being used by mobile shell 3.5? I suspect some of the installs I dod before I purchased MS3.5 are no longer needed, can anyone verify these last 2 programs can be deleted with no change in MS 3.5 funtion?

New memory facts:
Storage:
Total 242.48
In Use 195.85
Free 46.63 (From 3.05 Monday, gained 43.58 MB)

Program
Total 179.50
In Use 97.23
Free 82.27 (From 70.57 Monday Gained 11.7 MB)

Mem Card
Total 15185.50
In Use 12004.37
Free 3181.13 (From 3156.22 Monday, gained 24.91 MB)

Interesting to note that during this un-installation bonanza of mine, I am gaining internal memory at a rate at almost 2:1 compared to the memory card. And take note that I have adjusted every setting available (not with anyregistry mods) within the software to place everything I can into the 16 GIG memory card. It appears as mentioned earlier that many of the games and programs are being placed into both sides of the device.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:01 PM
Cookin' Project: Teya
Pocket PC: Omnia i910, HTC Imagio, Now Gnex
Carrier: Big Red

jmart518 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjmart518 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjmart518 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjmart518 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjmart518 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjmart518 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjmart518 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjmart518 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjmart518 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjmart518 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjmart518 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry0071 View Post
I realized that I have a metric shit ton of microsoft color pallets in there, can they be dumped since I use Mobile Shell 3.5?
These are things like:
Microsoft Ron Arad Orange
Microsoft Rock and Republic Black
Microsoft DVF Green
There are 6 of these MS colors listed.

Also, I now use Mobile Shell 3.5 and I see that I have something called PPC Visuals Dusk 6.5 Lockscreen v3.0 installed, is this still required while using the Mobile Shell 3.5?

Another find is MEANN GREEN Imagio Rotational Final, is this being used by mobile shell 3.5? I suspect some of the installs I dod before I purchased MS3.5 are no longer needed, can anyone verify these last 2 programs can be deleted with no change in MS 3.5 funtion?

Interesting to note that during this un-installation bonanza of mine, I am gaining internal memory at a rate at almost 2:1 compared to the memory card. And take note that I have adjusted every setting available (not with anyregistry mods) within the software to place everything I can into the 16 GIG memory card. It appears as mentioned earlier that many of the games and programs are being placed into both sides of the device.
1. I doubt you can delete the other color themes, since they are part of the ROM
2. PPC Visuals Dusk 6.5 Lockscreen v3.0 is not related to MS 3.5, it is just a WM6.5 lockscreen theme that you have installed
3. MEANN GREEN Imagio Rotational Final is not related to MS 3.5

Note: I would suggest figuring out what exactly you want on your phone, upgrade to the latest ROM and reinstall only the programs you want. That way you don't have left over crap from uninstalling all the programs.

Other: Sense 2.5.2019 in a Cab
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Imagio