PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Imagio
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2010, 06:56 PM
teh
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio
Carrier: Verizon

teh is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Imagio Reset Options

Just wondering: does struggling to open the battery cover and pressing the red internal soft reset button with your stylus accomplish anything different than simply powering down and then up via the red external power/end button? My suspicion is that power cycling the phone and soft rebooting the phone with the internal button are the same, but I don't know for sure. I guess I'm wondering if the folks I've read about who are industriously drilling holes in the side of their cases to access the internal button could instead just do a simple power cycle, or do they know something about this that's not apparent? I suppose if the phone were so frozen that the power/end button was unresponsive, I'd pop off the back, but at that point, rather than soft reset, I'd more likely pull the battery for ten seconds just to insure a full memory clearance. But that's just me.

On a similar note, I've done hard resets into both the "factory default" and "custom configuration" roms, but can find no differences between them to the naked eye. Has anyone extracted both roms and compared the file sizes to see if there are subtle differences? I'm afraid I don't know how to see the rom file sizes on the phone, but I may not have the right tools to do so.

Finally, there are two methods of doing a hard reset on the Imagio, one via Settings> Memory> Clear storage, the other via pressing the phone hard key+power/end key+volume rocker down. Again, my suspicion that both methods do the same thing, but does anyone know for sure if that's the case? I've seen some posts here that indicate one method is a full factory "first birthday" reset while the other method retains some of your customization, but that seems unlikely to me. Anyone know for sure?

Please hit if I've helped you attain enlightenment, grasshopper.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:25 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

ahearn is a n00b
Re: Imagio Reset Options

I've wondered about the same things as you. Since I got my Imagio in early November, I've never had to do a hard reset, and only a handful of soft resets that a power on/off didn't solve. Why is it necessary to drill holes in the battery cover?
Old 01-02-2010, 08:59 AM
teh
N00b
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahearn View Post
Why is it necessary to drill holes in the battery cover?
I've read of people drilling holes above the internal reset button so they could push it with the stylus without having to pry off the battery cover. I haven't done this and I'm wondering why you'd ever need to use that internal "soft reset" button at all, if power cycling or pulling the battery would achieve the same thing. Unless I'm missing some basic concept here.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:22 AM
WHERES THE BOTTLES!!
Pocket PC: hTC hD2
Carrier: tMOBILE

maxtcee should be added to the payroll for their contributionsmaxtcee should be added to the payroll for their contributionsmaxtcee should be added to the payroll for their contributionsmaxtcee should be added to the payroll for their contributionsmaxtcee should be added to the payroll for their contributionsmaxtcee should be added to the payroll for their contributionsmaxtcee should be added to the payroll for their contributionsmaxtcee should be added to the payroll for their contributionsmaxtcee should be added to the payroll for their contributionsmaxtcee should be added to the payroll for their contributionsmaxtcee should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh View Post
I've read of people drilling holes above the internal reset button so they could push it with the stylus without having to pry off the battery cover. I haven't done this and I'm wondering why you'd ever need to use that internal "soft reset" button at all, if power cycling or pulling the battery would achieve the same thing. Unless I'm missing some basic concept here.
ppl drill holes because sometimes the imagio freezes up and and rather then prying open the back cover which is really cheap and fragile they drill a hole for easier access i myself wouldnt drill a hole but thats just me
Old 01-02-2010, 05:27 PM
teh
N00b
Threadstarter

Which again begs the question, what value is the internal soft reset button at all, if you can accomplish the same result either by a power cycle on/off via the external end key or, if the phone's totally frozen and the end key unresponsive, just pulling the battery for a few seconds? The soft reset button seems totally redundant and useless to me, or does it accomplish anything that you can't do another way?
Old 01-02-2010, 05:43 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: RazrMaxx
Carrier: vzw

cbreze is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcbreze is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcbreze is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Pushing the red reset button is the same as rebooting your computer I believe, no more, no less. Pulling the battery it seems to me is the same thing. Both reset the device by doing a reboot/restart. I see no reason to do one over the other. I think it's terribly unfortunate to not be able to access the reset button without taking off the rather flimsy back cover. Defeats the whole purpose. I keep a soft reset virtual button app on screen for easy access. I've never had to access the red button yet. When I get a total freezeup/lockup then there's no choice.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:58 PM
WHERES THE BOTTLES!!
Pocket PC: hTC hD2
Carrier: tMOBILE

maxtcee should be added to the payroll for their contributionsmaxtcee should be added to the payroll for their contributionsmaxtcee should be added to the payroll for their contributionsmaxtcee should be added to the payroll for their contributionsmaxtcee should be added to the payroll for their contributionsmaxtcee should be added to the payroll for their contributionsmaxtcee should be added to the payroll for their contributionsmaxtcee should be added to the payroll for their contributionsmaxtcee should be added to the payroll for their contributionsmaxtcee should be added to the payroll for their contributionsmaxtcee should be added to the payroll for their contributions

some may say pulling the battery out curupts files kinda like unplugging your pc and so on and so on ive been pulling out batterys since my old shadow days and never had a prob

Last edited by maxtcee; 01-02-2010 at 07:01 PM.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:11 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

gilbenl is becoming a great contributor

There is a way around pulling off the battery cover to do a soft-reset:

http://montecristoff.webs.com/hdtweak.htm

This will allow you to download a cab called HDTweak. That, in and of itself has a long list of tuning options which are compatible with the Imagio. Although the program itself is designed for the HD, the blackstone (HD) is pretty much the same as the Whitestone (Imagio). But here's why I point this program out: When you install it, it also hads HDSoftReset, which will do a soft-reset through the GUI with no need to press the physical button. I am not sure if it is in fact a true soft-reset, but in all the cases where I've had to do one (because the Reboot cab, pwr on/off didn't do the trick) this program did. Not to mention it has all the tweaks and goodies included. If you don't want the tweaking options, I don't think there is a way to install HDSoftReset without having HDTweaks. That being said, if you don't change anything in HDTweaks, it's presence is neutral. Enjoy!

-Nick
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:01 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

johncal is becoming a great contributor

Here's the way I see it.

Under normal circumstances, turning the phone off and back on serves the same purpose as a soft reset button under the cover, which also is the same as using any reset software.

If the phone freezes up, the reset software won't work and you have to yank the cover off to use the reset button anyways, so what's the purpose of the reset software.

To use the reset software you have to go to the start menu, active the program and confirm the reset. That's at least 3 button pushes. That's the same as just turning the phone off and back on.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Imagio