PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Imagio (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   fix for GPS delay (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=102985)

rolandroland 12-23-2009 02:46 PM

fix for GPS delay

The GPS info is delayed and I have done some searching as this is an old problem I just never bothered correcting, but now I am trying to. By delayed I mean I pass the turn before TomTom, Google Maps, Bing, etc always shows me getting there.
I found a fix to install a new driver at XDA (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=571266) but I was hoping there was a simpler fix that just involved registry changes and not requiring anything to be installed. I couldn't fin anything but figured I could be searching wrong. Any other solutions out there?

jeff_roey 12-23-2009 03:37 PM

Re: fix for GPS delay

Suggest Staying away from fooling with the drivers if you can. I use IGo 8 when driving and Google Maps when walking around metro areas I visit frequently for business. I have the following tweaks installed (can't take any credit - I've picked them up from various threads here and XDA and settled on the following adjustments after a lot of trial and error):

a. Changed the Following Registry Keys:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Drivers\GpsOneDevice\PollInterval = “500”
(*** DEFAULT WAS 1000 ***) (*** 100 RECOMMENDED ELSEWHERE ***)

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Drivers\InputBufferSize = “1024”
(*** DEFAULT WAS 4096 ***) (*** 512 RECOMMENDED ELSEWHERE ***)

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Drivers\OutputBufferSize = “1024”
(*** DEFAULT WAS 4096 ***) (*** 512 RECOMMENDED ELSEWHERE ***)

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Drivers\SleepOnNoData = “100”
(*** DEFAULT WAS 1000 ***) (*** 512 RECOMMENDED ELSEWHERE ***)

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\CurrentLogFile = DELETE THE PATH PROVIDED AS THE STRING VALUE (I.E. RE-SAVE THIS AS A BLANK ENTRY)

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\OldLogFile = DELETE THE PATH PROVIDED AS THE STRING VALUE (I.E. RE-SAVE THIS AS A BLANK ENTRY)

b. Created the Following DWORD Registry Key:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Multiplexer\MaxBufferSize = “1024”
(*** 512 RECOMMENDED ELSEWHERE ***)

c. Manually deleted the Following Files:

\windows\GPSLogFile.txt
\windows\GPSLogFileBack.txt

Unless I'm zooming down the interstate at 70, the tweaks above has my GPS consistently reporting my location within 20-40 feet while driving and pretty much spot-on while walking.

rolandroland 12-23-2009 04:21 PM

I remember seeing all this when the I got the phone when it came out but never got around to it since I didn't need it much. Thanks for the info, I made the changes and will test them out.

Osteo 12-24-2009 08:59 AM

I agree the delay for TomTom was nuts but with iGO8 and Google Maps I don't see more than a few feet of delay at highway speeds and none at residential speeds (neither of which is enough to make me miss turns and the spoken directions give me more then enough time to expect a turn) and I have't done any tweeking of the registry.

It was posted that you could use something like GPSGate, a port splitter, to get TT to work but it seemed vastly easier to use iGO so I went with it and haven't been disappointed.

Please don't request a link to iGO, google is your friend, YMMV of course but iGO8 works wonderfully on our Imagios.

maxtcee 12-24-2009 09:07 AM

one thing i hate about igo is the sd card thing really sux

Osteo 12-24-2009 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxtcee (Post 1435055)
one thing i hate about igo is the sd card thing really sux

What SD card thing?

I actually have two versions on my Imagio, one on the card and one in main memory (an older version will import contact addresses but doesn't run as smoothly so if I add contacts I run the older one in main memory first to import contacts to POI then exit and use the newer one on the card to navigate to the contacts imported address).

jcra 12-28-2009 03:03 PM

I tried the registry mods and the GPS still times out and works like chit.. Don't know why, maybe its becuase I'm using the Bing Maps application... any other thoughts out there?

/jc

blue_94_trooper 12-28-2009 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcra (Post 1442349)
I tried the registry mods and the GPS still times out and works like chit.. Don't know why, maybe its becuase I'm using the Bing Maps application... any other thoughts out there?

Hardware problem? I have no issues with CoPilot or Bing.

Laserbeme 12-30-2009 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcra (Post 1442349)

/jc

Dumb question, but did you enable GPS instead of 911 only?

m_s_ifland 12-30-2009 12:13 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hey guys, I've created a cab file for this tweak and also a default file to install if you want it back to default settings.