PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Hero (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
-   -   !Hero Tips/Tricks/Fixes! Check here for answers!! Updated 3/13/10!!! (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=90380)

thacounty 10-13-2009 12:48 PM

!Hero Tips/Tricks/Fixes! Check here for answers!! Updated 3/13/10!!!

Title explains it:

ROOT THE HERO!! WHY? Because its awesome sauce! I used this method and it worked great, I recommend you:
1. - Get it rooted first.
2. - Flash the Recovery image 1.2.3 is at bottom of post.
3. - Now you can Flash A ROM!! I recommend Fresh's roms personally. Don't get a Beta if you want a rom for daily use.

- Easier way to Root!! Try this!
- Step By Step, Easier Rooting from the above video!

- Help from XDA
- YouTube vid with explanation

- How to remove Bloatware Don't Remove all of it!!! Check next link.
- Apps you can remove safely

- Apps2SD2 turotial

- See if A2SD2 is working for you

-New RUU for 1.56, should fix some errors. Thanks Flipz!
- Old Stock RUU just in case you need it

- The best tethering on rooted phones. Wirelessly!!

- Hard Reset

- Fix Typos

- # of characters typed in SMS - Handcent and Chomp SMS will give you this option, both are free.

- Speech to Text - Handcent does Speech to Text, free.

- Pop up style SMS - Sms Popup and Handcent will allow you to have messages pop-up.

- MMS - Handcent is much better at handling MMS than the messaging app.

- Bad battery life? - *Workaround*

- Closing apps

- Assign Ringtones to categories

- Only music in media player

- TP2 and Hero have interchangeable batteries. EBAY is your friend.

- Correct time on home screen

- Keep screen on while charging

- Black list text messages
- Explained a little better...

- Timed lock screen - Autolock, has a timer, free.

- Keyboard double space gives you a period - Helpful to keep from pushing the 12# key.

- Keeping info just written on Opera

- Only have the contacts you want from GMAIL

- Manual profile update, if profile update won't work - Lost the link. If someone knows where it is let me know. I want the OP to get the props.

- Setting up folders for ringtones and sounds

- Flip phone over to silence ringer Thanks toast

- Take better pictures!! This is a good tip! Thanks to cwbeasley, and you better thank him!!

- Another tip for better pics...

- Headphone problems? You're not alone... Fix em!

- Tethering for free without PDANet!!

- Delete the added words from Hero dictionary

- Ad Free Web Browsing - Thanks Notrock!

- Take away accidental defaults

- Fix that pesky mail problem where you don't know what box the mail is in!!

- Easily wipe contacts and calender

- Better Bookmark Management

- Easy Hero YouTube video converting

- Easier soft resetting!! Thanks flipz

- Dialer codes! Finally we can change some serious options!

- Keep up with playlists on the Hero.

- Get ALL audio through Bluetooth. Confirmed working.

- Youtube Fix, for those who are on Fresh. I am not sure about other Roms.

- Locked out of your phone? Think its a brick?? Just found this diamond!! Someone confirm this. There will be many happy campers now!!! And thank erikdrakon.

Feel free to post in with your tip and I will try to keep this thread updated. If I didn't thank you in this post I made sure to thank you in yours. I encourage others to do the same!!

JAVIERBOND007 10-13-2009 02:36 PM

Re: Hard Reset

You mean there wasnt a way to uninstall this application other thatn hard resetting?

thacounty 10-13-2009 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAVIERBOND007 (Post 1234746)
You mean there wasnt a way to uninstall this application other thatn hard resetting?

Didn't want to sound like I wasn't paying attention but I wasn't haha. I had installed about 50 apps before I reset which I should never have done, but who hasn't? I reset and it wouldn't let me turn on mobile connection and everytime I tried it either restarted the phone or the sense ui. I tried uninstalling 2 of them and it didn't work. Since I was texting someone in class instead of paying attention as usual I needed it to work so I hard reset.

I actually had about 5 apps on the phone that weren't from the marketplace so I just didn't install those. Seems to be doing ok so far.

That being said a hard reset is pretty useful most of the time. I figured maybe someone would need it besides me haha.

EDIT: One more thing. Uninstalling an app is easy in case you don't have a hero. Just go to settings-->applications and you can uninstall from there if you didn't use the app store. Or if you installed from a file manager you can open that same file manager and click the file again, now instead of install option you will have uninstall option.

superman.namrepus 10-13-2009 02:54 PM

Thanks for the info.

michd 10-13-2009 04:11 PM

Good to know. Thanks

thacounty 10-13-2009 04:19 PM

Judging from join date it looks like a bunch of old timers in this thread haha. Are we the only ones who still hard reset when our phones get a little laggy? Haha

thacounty 10-13-2009 09:21 PM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-us; A6277 Build/CUPCAKE) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

One more trick I found useful. I was all over the keyboard mistyping letters and I ran across a calibration tool. Click the gear bottom left of ur kb and go to bottom and calibrated the kb. Type it like u regularly type and many of ur typos will b in the past! It was night and day 4 me. I love that the keyboard does what I want not me trying to work around it!

Drewman247 10-13-2009 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thacounty (Post 1235863)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-us; A6277 Build/CUPCAKE) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

One more trick I found useful. I was all over the keyboard mistyping letters and I ran across a calibration tool. Click the gear bottom left of ur kb and go to bottom and calibrated the kb. Type it like u regularly type and many of ur typos will b in the past! It was night and day 4 me. I love that the keyboard does what I want not me trying to work around it!

I did this also and it made a huge difference on how much I like using the keyboard in portrait view.

thacounty 10-14-2009 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drewman247 (Post 1236109)
I did this also and it made a huge difference on how much I like using the keyboard in portrait view.

Glad it helped! I could turn this thread into a tips n tricks maybe. It would be nice to have one.

ToxicToastKatz 10-15-2009 03:02 PM

Re: Hero Tips/Tricks/Fixes

Don't know if this would be the proper thread to post this in, but here goes:

Does anyone have an issue with the clock widget (the one that shows weather in your current location) showing the wrong time? The phone shows the proper time, the world clock has my home time as correct, however, when I go to update the weather in my current location (currently listed as my hometown, which is correct) it is giving the time 1 hour off. Any solutions to this, or has anyone even seen this?

Askym 10-15-2009 03:41 PM

anyone know how to assign ringtones to categories???

i know how to make the ringtones show up on the list of ringtones i just would like to assign them to the categories not just individualy.

buck1623 10-15-2009 11:31 PM

idk about ringtones to categories, but i did notice that when u edit each contact, u can assign ringtone to an individual person....

Askym 10-16-2009 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buck1623 (Post 1239296)
idk about ringtones to categories, but i did notice that when u edit each contact, u can assign ringtone to an individual person....

ya i know how to do that but i have like 4 categories and i really dont want to have to do that to all my 160 contacts. im hoping there is an app for this.

Askym 10-16-2009 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Askym (Post 1239378)
ya i know how to do that but i have like 4 categories and i really dont want to have to do that to all my 160 contacts. im hoping there is an app for this.

yes there is an app just took a bit to find it. its called Group Ringtones. not a bad free app!:headbang:

thacounty 10-16-2009 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Askym (Post 1239451)
yes there is an app just took a bit to find it. its called Group Ringtones. not a bad free app!:headbang:

Adding to 1st page.

fildrigar 10-16-2009 12:51 AM

How about,

If you have a directory with sound effects in it, that you don't want showing up in the media player app, you can remove them by putting an empty file in the directory with them named ".nomedia" .

thacounty 10-16-2009 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fildrigar (Post 1239521)
How about,

If you have a directory with sound effects in it, that you don't want showing up in the media player app, you can remove them by putting an empty file in the directory with them named ".nomedia" .

Just got your first thanks haha. Adding to 1st page.

badchad 10-16-2009 08:55 AM

Is anyone having issues with POP email?

I have two gmail accounts set up to check via POP. In the settings, they are scheduled to check "Every 15 minutes".

But they don't. If I go into the emails, the sync lists "yesterday". They don't seem to be updating automatically.

Red_Cheeks 10-16-2009 10:32 AM

How do i get speech to text going ?

chocmatic 10-16-2009 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red_Cheeks (Post 1240204)
How do i get speech to text going ?

Click on the box where you type...then click menu and then speak

Red_Cheeks 10-16-2009 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chocmatic (Post 1240215)
Click on the box where you type...then click menu and then speak

Doesn't work for me... when I press menu I just get options...

Askym 10-16-2009 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badchad (Post 1239983)
Is anyone having issues with POP email?

I have two gmail accounts set up to check via POP. In the settings, they are scheduled to check "Every 15 minutes".

But they don't. If I go into the emails, the sync lists "yesterday". They don't seem to be updating automatically.

why not try the imap setting that way what you do on your cell also gets done if you are using the web based page or outlook? and visa versa. i used to go pop but i have since been using the imap and will never go back to pop.

trentonmac 10-18-2009 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red_Cheeks (Post 1241259)
Doesn't work for me... when I press menu I just get options...

If you download Handcent SMS which is a free program it has a good text to speech program and in general is just better to use than the stock sms.

sumo911 10-18-2009 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToxicToastKatz (Post 1239162)
Don't know if this would be the proper thread to post this in, but here goes:

Does anyone have an issue with the clock widget (the one that shows weather in your current location) showing the wrong time? The phone shows the proper time, the world clock has my home time as correct, however, when I go to update the weather in my current location (currently listed as my hometown, which is correct) it is giving the time 1 hour off. Any solutions to this, or has anyone even seen this?

I had this experience. I think it has something to do with one's particular city not being listed in the location database. The easiest solution would be to add a city near you, and use it as the default city for the clock widget youre interested in.

thacounty 10-19-2009 10:51 AM

To keep screen from turning off while charging go to Settings --> Applications --> Development --> and choose stay awake. This is a big help for Apps like PDANet when you need the screen to stay on for tethering.

thacounty 10-21-2009 10:52 PM

Additional trick for kb a double space gives you a period and a space. Will keep you from pressing the 12# button like I keep doing!

ToxicToastKatz 10-21-2009 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thacounty (Post 1253051)

Additional trick for kb a double space gives you a period and a space. Will keep you from pressing the 12# button like I keep doing!

that is a HUGE find! thanks man!!

BTW, this KB is one of the most amazing features of this phone. I am sometimes not even CLOSE to what i'm typing and it predicts every word correctly.

thacounty 10-21-2009 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToxicToastKatz
Quote:

that is a HUGE find! thanks man!!

BTW, this KB is one of the most amazing features of this phone. I am sometimes not even CLOSE to what i'm typing and it predicts every word correctly.

Haha glad it helped. I reviewed the kb some in my review, I agree. Im faster with this than a physical kb most of the time! It was even better after a calibration.

thacounty 10-22-2009 11:30 AM

-Hard reset,

Power phone down

Hold Home and Back keys at same time

Without releasing Home and Back press the end call button (which is the power button) and release the end call button.

You should still be holding home and back and now a screen will come up asking for an action. Press the trackball to reset or back to cancel.

Press trackball then it will ask you to press menu to reset and it will be factory original!

ott 10-22-2009 12:06 PM

Re: !Hero Tips/Tricks/Fixes! Check here for answers!!

Here is a question for everyone, this has happened multiple times now. At times I will receive a text message and I will click on it, the thread is Bob's thread, but the name at the top of the thread is George. When I send a reply, both Bob and George get the message. This is a problem, especially if my g/f is texting me fun stuff and I reply to her and Bob from work saying "TAKE IT OFF!!!" lol... I am using Handcent SMS, but this was happening with/without it loaded. Anyone?

thacounty 10-22-2009 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ott
Here is a question for everyone, this has happened multiple times now. At times I will receive a text message and I will click on it, the thread is Bob's thread, but the name at the top of the thread is George. When I send a reply, both Bob and George get the message. This is a problem, especially if my g/f is texting me fun stuff and I reply to her and Bob from work saying "TAKE IT OFF!!!" lol... I am using Handcent SMS, but this was happening with/without it loaded. Anyone?

Load handcent go to settings and separate threads. It did this to me too, u need them to b separate.

badchad 10-22-2009 06:34 PM

Quote:

When I choose a "suggested" word from above the keyboard, is there a way to make it add a space afterwards?

It's annoying to have to select the word, then go back down to hit space.

thacounty 10-22-2009 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badchad (Post 1255567)
When I choose a "suggested" word from above the keyboard, is there a way to make it add a space afterwards?

It's annoying to have to select the word, then go back down to hit space.

Haven't found it but will keep looking.

jman069 10-22-2009 08:52 PM

Nice Thread but fyi some of the links on the first post are incorrect such as how to keep the screen on while charging and how to manually update your profile

THunDA 10-22-2009 09:42 PM

Thanks for this thread, just got my Hero today and im freaking loving it!! :)

Was a little disappointed with the few bugs but thanks to this forum its all fixed.. wasnt that big of a deal anyways since im a techie guy.

I figured I would post this link I found after some searching, I didnt see anything here about setting my own cut up mp3's as ringtones from my memory card.. the below link shows how to setup the folders so the ringtones are seen in the sound settings.

http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/122196#122196

Hope it helps out someone!

thacounty 10-23-2009 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jman069 (Post 1256052)
Nice Thread but fyi some of the links on the first post are incorrect such as how to keep the screen on while charging and how to manually update your profile

Hit thanks, and will say it, thanks. I am trying to fix haha.

thacounty 10-23-2009 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THunDA (Post 1256230)
Thanks for this thread, just got my Hero today and im freaking loving it!! :)

Was a little disappointed with the few bugs but thanks to this forum its all fixed.. wasnt that big of a deal anyways since im a techie guy.

I figured I would post this link I found after some searching, I didnt see anything here about setting my own cut up mp3's as ringtones from my memory card.. the below link shows how to setup the folders so the ringtones are seen in the sound settings.

http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/122196#122196

Hope it helps out someone!

Added and thanked!

nmd17 10-23-2009 06:18 AM

hey am a hero newbee so i have a couple of questions:
1- how can i put a song as a msg ringtone or as an alarm?
2- how can i change the way i send and recieve msgs that is i don want it to be as a thread and compiling all the msgs from the same person together?
3- where can i find free applications for the hero?
4-is there any way arround the bluetooth so that i can send and receive things through bluetooth?
thank you :smile:

thacounty 10-23-2009 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nmd17 (Post 1257184)
hey am a hero newbee so i have a couple of questions:
1- how can i put a song as a msg ringtone or as an alarm?
2- how can i change the way i send and recieve msgs that is i don want it to be as a thread and compiling all the msgs from the same person together?
3- where can i find free applications for the hero?
4-is there any way arround the bluetooth so that i can send and receive things through bluetooth?
thank you :smile:

Been answered. Please only ask in one thread next time.

nelson8403 10-23-2009 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thacounty (Post 1234368)
- Manual profile update, if profile update won't work - Lost the link. If someone knows where it is let me know. I want the OP to get the props.

did you ever find out how to do this? I have this problem with a few of my contacts, everyone else seems to update real time/fine