PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Hero (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
-   -   !Hero Tips/Tricks/Fixes! Check here for answers!! Updated 3/13/10!!! (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=90380)

thacounty 10-13-2009 12:48 PM

!Hero Tips/Tricks/Fixes! Check here for answers!! Updated 3/13/10!!!

Title explains it:

ROOT THE HERO!! WHY? Because its awesome sauce! I used this method and it worked great, I recommend you:
1. - Get it rooted first.
2. - Flash the Recovery image 1.2.3 is at bottom of post.
3. - Now you can Flash A ROM!! I recommend Fresh's roms personally. Don't get a Beta if you want a rom for daily use.

- Easier way to Root!! Try this!
- Step By Step, Easier Rooting from the above video!

- Help from XDA
- YouTube vid with explanation

- How to remove Bloatware Don't Remove all of it!!! Check next link.
- Apps you can remove safely

- Apps2SD2 turotial

- See if A2SD2 is working for you

-New RUU for 1.56, should fix some errors. Thanks Flipz!
- Old Stock RUU just in case you need it

- The best tethering on rooted phones. Wirelessly!!

- Hard Reset

- Fix Typos

- # of characters typed in SMS - Handcent and Chomp SMS will give you this option, both are free.

- Speech to Text - Handcent does Speech to Text, free.

- Pop up style SMS - Sms Popup and Handcent will allow you to have messages pop-up.

- MMS - Handcent is much better at handling MMS than the messaging app.

- Bad battery life? - *Workaround*

- Closing apps

- Assign Ringtones to categories

- Only music in media player

- TP2 and Hero have interchangeable batteries. EBAY is your friend.

- Correct time on home screen

- Keep screen on while charging

- Black list text messages
- Explained a little better...

- Timed lock screen - Autolock, has a timer, free.

- Keyboard double space gives you a period - Helpful to keep from pushing the 12# key.

- Keeping info just written on Opera

- Only have the contacts you want from GMAIL

- Manual profile update, if profile update won't work - Lost the link. If someone knows where it is let me know. I want the OP to get the props.

- Setting up folders for ringtones and sounds

- Flip phone over to silence ringer Thanks toast

- Take better pictures!! This is a good tip! Thanks to cwbeasley, and you better thank him!!

- Another tip for better pics...

- Headphone problems? You're not alone... Fix em!

- Tethering for free without PDANet!!

- Delete the added words from Hero dictionary

- Ad Free Web Browsing - Thanks Notrock!

- Take away accidental defaults

- Fix that pesky mail problem where you don't know what box the mail is in!!

- Easily wipe contacts and calender

- Better Bookmark Management

- Easy Hero YouTube video converting

- Easier soft resetting!! Thanks flipz

- Dialer codes! Finally we can change some serious options!

- Keep up with playlists on the Hero.

- Get ALL audio through Bluetooth. Confirmed working.

- Youtube Fix, for those who are on Fresh. I am not sure about other Roms.

- Locked out of your phone? Think its a brick?? Just found this diamond!! Someone confirm this. There will be many happy campers now!!! And thank erikdrakon.

Feel free to post in with your tip and I will try to keep this thread updated. If I didn't thank you in this post I made sure to thank you in yours. I encourage others to do the same!!

JAVIERBOND007 10-13-2009 02:36 PM

Re: Hard Reset

You mean there wasnt a way to uninstall this application other thatn hard resetting?

thacounty 10-13-2009 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAVIERBOND007 (Post 1234746)
You mean there wasnt a way to uninstall this application other thatn hard resetting?

Didn't want to sound like I wasn't paying attention but I wasn't haha. I had installed about 50 apps before I reset which I should never have done, but who hasn't? I reset and it wouldn't let me turn on mobile connection and everytime I tried it either restarted the phone or the sense ui. I tried uninstalling 2 of them and it didn't work. Since I was texting someone in class instead of paying attention as usual I needed it to work so I hard reset.

I actually had about 5 apps on the phone that weren't from the marketplace so I just didn't install those. Seems to be doing ok so far.

That being said a hard reset is pretty useful most of the time. I figured maybe someone would need it besides me haha.

EDIT: One more thing. Uninstalling an app is easy in case you don't have a hero. Just go to settings-->applications and you can uninstall from there if you didn't use the app store. Or if you installed from a file manager you can open that same file manager and click the file again, now instead of install option you will have uninstall option.

superman.namrepus 10-13-2009 02:54 PM

Thanks for the info.

michd 10-13-2009 04:11 PM

Good to know. Thanks

thacounty 10-13-2009 04:19 PM

Judging from join date it looks like a bunch of old timers in this thread haha. Are we the only ones who still hard reset when our phones get a little laggy? Haha

thacounty 10-13-2009 09:21 PM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-us; A6277 Build/CUPCAKE) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

One more trick I found useful. I was all over the keyboard mistyping letters and I ran across a calibration tool. Click the gear bottom left of ur kb and go to bottom and calibrated the kb. Type it like u regularly type and many of ur typos will b in the past! It was night and day 4 me. I love that the keyboard does what I want not me trying to work around it!

Drewman247 10-13-2009 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thacounty (Post 1235863)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-us; A6277 Build/CUPCAKE) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

One more trick I found useful. I was all over the keyboard mistyping letters and I ran across a calibration tool. Click the gear bottom left of ur kb and go to bottom and calibrated the kb. Type it like u regularly type and many of ur typos will b in the past! It was night and day 4 me. I love that the keyboard does what I want not me trying to work around it!

I did this also and it made a huge difference on how much I like using the keyboard in portrait view.

thacounty 10-14-2009 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drewman247 (Post 1236109)
I did this also and it made a huge difference on how much I like using the keyboard in portrait view.

Glad it helped! I could turn this thread into a tips n tricks maybe. It would be nice to have one.

ToxicToastKatz 10-15-2009 03:02 PM

Re: Hero Tips/Tricks/Fixes

Don't know if this would be the proper thread to post this in, but here goes:

Does anyone have an issue with the clock widget (the one that shows weather in your current location) showing the wrong time? The phone shows the proper time, the world clock has my home time as correct, however, when I go to update the weather in my current location (currently listed as my hometown, which is correct) it is giving the time 1 hour off. Any solutions to this, or has anyone even seen this?