PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > Legacy HTC Android Devices > HTC Hero
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2011, 06:54 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Mogul/Touch PRO 2/Hero
Carrier: SPRINT

chris308 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to chris308
My New to me Hero's specs...

Ok so I had my TP2 crap out on me and I had a chance to get a mint Hero so I jumped.

I'm going to list the phones current specs:

Firmware Ver - 1.5
software Ver - 1.56.651.2

I went to HTC.com to see if it had the upgrade downloads listed and it did so, I tried to follow some of the step by step instructions for ones that have you go into "system updates" then click on "HTC software update" under the PRL; but i do not have that option available.

What am I missing?

I tried to download the Sync update but when I try to run it, it gives me an "error reading setup initialization file" pop-up error. I assume i need the sync to do the 2.1 software update; correct?

Sincerely,
android n00b

Old 04-01-2011, 01:49 AM
Knowledge Is True Opinion
Pocket PC: iPhone 4S
Carrier: Vzw

Carla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Carla
Re: My New to me Hero's specs...

Are you planning on rooting or not? If you are I would suggest just using a custom ROM for all your upgrading needs at this point.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:56 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

chris308 is a n00b

I'm sure i would get around to doing a custom rom sooner or later... i thought i read somewhere that the phone had to be on 2.1 to be able to root?

Has that changed or am i incorrect? It's alot of info to take in when you research something about a new phone and the posts your reading are 1-2 years old... lots of things change and thats no joke with smartphones! lol

Is the sync upgrade on HTC.com necessary to root or should i just not even worry about it?

Anyways i thanked you for your reply.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:48 PM
Knowledge Is True Opinion
Pocket PC: iPhone 4S
Carrier: Vzw

Carla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Carla

Honestly, I am not sure. I haven't had a Hero in well over a year.

I would start at XDA in the Development forum. Hero CDMA Android Development - xda-developers

I think unrevoked also has a Hero root tool. Check that out as well.
unrevoked
Old 04-05-2011, 04:27 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: htc diamond
Carrier: sprint

gangmobb is keeping up the good workgangmobb is keeping up the good work

no you can root on any version 1.5 to 2.3, try using some of the methods you find on the hero stickies andfrom then on just upgrade to a rom with a better andriod version.. if you can download sync it wont be a problem unless it doesnt doesnt let you copy rom files or flash images rom pc to your phone.. in that case i would just reset phone and try to download sync then.. that cause im lazy though lol
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:09 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

chris308 is a n00b

Thanks for the post gangmobb. I'm going to research the different rom's that are out there...
Old 04-10-2011, 03:46 AM
Master Kimosabi
Pocket PC: HTC s620<Touch Pro<Touch Pro2<Hero<EVO
Carrier: The 10 years ago Network

aman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris308 View Post
Thanks for the post gangmobb. I'm going to research the different rom's that are out there...
I'll make sure to update the Rom list on Monday in the upgrades section.

Cooler than your EVO
Old 04-12-2011, 04:05 AM
Master Kimosabi
Pocket PC: HTC s620<Touch Pro<Touch Pro2<Hero<EVO
Carrier: The 10 years ago Network

aman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Updated, check the Rom page. Cm7 stable just came out.

Cooler than your EVO

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > Legacy HTC Android Devices > HTC Hero