PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Hero (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
-   -   Got phone rooted, now how to install a custom rom? Please help. (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=134765)

PhatboyNYC 10-02-2010 02:51 PM

Got phone rooted, now how to install a custom rom? Please help.

So I've followed the instructions found on this site to root my Sprint HTC Hero but I can't seem to figure out how to install a custom rom now. I've installed custom roms on Window Mobile phones before (HTC Diamond, HTC Touch Pro 1 and 2) but can't figure out what I'm doing wrong here.

I read that I should install the custom rom file to the SD card then put the phone into bootloader (recovery) mode. When I hold down the "home" button while pressing the power button, I get a screen that asks if I want to clear data. When I select no, the phone just boots up to the normal home screen.

Carla 10-02-2010 05:27 PM

Re: Got phone rooted, now how to install a custom rom? Please help.

Link to the method you used. Did you install a custom recovery?

xizzmatt 10-02-2010 05:57 PM

How did you root it?
Try using "This Guide"

Then just put the .zip file on your SD Card.
Turn off the phone.
Hold Vol Down and Power until you reach a white screen that says:
"HBOOT
<VOL UP> FastBoot Mode
<BACK> Simlock
<HOME> Recovery"
Select "Home"
Your phone will launch "Android System Recovery"
Select "Wipe"
Then "Wipe data/factory reset"
Press "Home" to confirm
Press "Back"
Select "Flash zip from sdcard"
Then select the zip file
Press "Home" to confirm
Once finished select "Reboot system now"

Hope this helps!!:mrgreen:

PhatboyNYC 10-02-2010 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlaDarla (Post 1963820)
Link to the method you used. Did you install a custom recovery?

Quote:

Originally Posted by xizzmatt (Post 1963851)
How did you root it?
Try using "This Guide"

I rooted it using the instructions found in the xda thread linked by xizzmatt. I even went ahead and installed the one step rooting app - UniversalAndroot which says the phone is already rooted when I try to run it.

My problem is that I can't seem to get it to the recovery screen I think is what it's called where you wipe the phone and install the new rom from the sdcard.

Will report back after trying xizzmatt's advice.

PhatboyNYC 10-02-2010 11:51 PM

Btw, in every custom rom thread, it says to do a Nandroid backup first. First, what is a Nandroid backup? Does it save just my contacts, my apps or everything? Second, how do I do it?

Carla 10-03-2010 12:54 AM

You make a Nandroid within recovery. There is an option to backup/restore. It saves your ROM exactly how it is, everything will be restored when you restore the backup.

After step #7 do you have the SU app?

xizzmatt 10-03-2010 04:41 AM

What build are you running? That could be the problem.

aman1127 10-07-2010 01:40 AM

Its strange, some of the roms dont work with AmonRa recovery. Zen Hero is a good 2.1 rom series so Ive heard but i cant flash because you need clock recovery.

cwzkevin 10-08-2010 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhatboyNYC (Post 1963695)
So I've followed the instructions found on this site to root my Sprint HTC Hero but I can't seem to figure out how to install a custom rom now. I've installed custom roms on Window Mobile phones before (HTC Diamond, HTC Touch Pro 1 and 2) but can't figure out what I'm doing wrong here.

I read that I should install the custom rom file to the SD card then put the phone into bootloader (recovery) mode. When I hold down the "home" button while pressing the power button, I get a screen that asks if I want to clear data. When I select no, the phone just boots up to the normal home screen.

I have the same question with you! I am on 1.56 stock rom, rooted with sdk command line method. Then I don't know how to install custom rom. I think I have to read more...

aman1127 10-08-2010 03:15 PM

Did you guys load amonRa recovery? If so, you will go straight to recovery (black screen)