PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > Legacy HTC Android Devices > HTC Hero
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2009, 12:25 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Hero (Sprint)
Carrier: Sprint

Gambit is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How to change the User Agent String setting on stock Android Browser

A while ago I found a tip somewhere on how to get to some additional hidden android browser settings including how to change the user agent string so that the browser would identify itself as a desktop browser or iPhone browser while surfing.
This setting is reset between sessions, I didn't use it frequently and eventually forgot how to go about making the change.
Recently I had a need to access these hidden browser settings again and it took quite a long and frustrating search effort to finally locate this information which does not seem to be widely publicized. So, in an effort to save anyone else this trouble, I figured I would post the information on how to do this on a couple Android boards that I frequent and also include a few words that might be picked up as search terms for anyone else trying to find this info. The procedure is very simple. I currently have an HTC Sprint Hero running Android 1.5, so I'm not sure what other devices or builds this will work on...

Open the Android web browser. In the address bar enter 'about:debug' where you would normally enter a URL and hit enter or Go. Be sure to erase the 'http://www.' that the browser likes to leave in the address bar for you. No page will load and you may or may not get a pop-up message 'Debug mode'. But if you now go to Menu > More > Settings in the browser and scroll to the bottom of the list, you should see a new group of options under the 'Debug' heading. The bottom setting is 'UAString' and if selected will give you the option of enabling your browser to identify itself as Android, Desktop or iPhone. Results after making this switch have been mixed, but go ahead and give it a try if you have a need to. I'm not sure what the other options do, so use at your own risk.

Feel free to leave a reply if you found this information helpful, or if it does or does not work on your particular device / build.

search terms: Android Browser Hidden Debug Settings Change User Agent String Identify Desktop Firefox iPhone about:debug UAString
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:48 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Hero - Fresh ROM

flipzmode is a VIPflipzmode is a VIPflipzmode is a VIPflipzmode is a VIPflipzmode is a VIPflipzmode is a VIPflipzmode is a VIPflipzmode is a VIPflipzmode is a VIPflipzmode is a VIPflipzmode is a VIP
Re: How to change the User Agent String setting on stock Android Browser

Shouldn't disabling "mobile view" do the same thing?

(From the browser) Menu < More < Settings < Uncheck mobile view

Although I guess you don't say your reason for needing to change it to identify as a different browser. But if your reasoning was to access a full site rather than their mobile version then that should do it... and is quite a bit easier.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:23 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sprint Pre 2, Evo

tersoth knows their stufftersoth knows their stufftersoth knows their stufftersoth knows their stufftersoth knows their stufftersoth knows their stufftersoth knows their stuff

Thanks! I've been looking for something like this. I really hate being directed to mobile sites. I usually cook this into my ROMs for the diamond. It just sucks you need to do it for each browsing session. Too bad there isn't a way to cook this into the firmware.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:25 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

nextelfixer is becoming a great contributor

I downloaded the Dolphin Browser and so far, I really like it. It also has a setting button in it to change the User Agent.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > Legacy HTC Android Devices > HTC Hero

Tags
agent, android, browser, desktop, user