PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC HD2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2010, 09:33 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: T-Mobile G1
Carrier: T-Mobile

advil0 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Switching from the G1

I'm on a G1 currently and I'm 90% sold on the HD2 I just have 1 or 2 things to work out.

Apps: Are there replacement apps for most apps I use in Android, or even better, can I dual boot android and winmo?

Upgrades: I got my G1 on a 2 year contract Late November 2008, would I be able to swindle the T-Mobile rep into giving me the $200 price tag now even though it's a bit early?

Thanks!
Old 05-02-2010, 09:48 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: At&t Fuze
Carrier: AT&T

Wil Badger is becoming a PPCGeeks regularWil Badger is becoming a PPCGeeks regularWil Badger is becoming a PPCGeeks regularWil Badger is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via ICQ to Wil Badger Send a message via AIM to Wil Badger Send a message via MSN to Wil Badger Send a message via Yahoo to Wil Badger
Re: Switching from the G1

The chance you will find the same apps is slim. There will be either some or something like what you use now, possibly but even then WinMo will come up short on apps. No there is no Android port for HD2 as of yet, the DEVs are working on it but it will be some time till that happens.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:58 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HD2

kabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to kabuk1 Send a message via Yahoo to kabuk1

You won't find the SAME exact apps, but you'll find equivalent ones. There is no shortage of WinMo apps, not by far. Anything you can think of, you'll find. Not everything is in the WM Marketplace though. Ironically, Google is your friend with WinMo apps.

kabuk1's battery life tips ~ TamsPPC
Old 05-03-2010, 12:01 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: T-Mobile G1
Threadstarter

advil0 is a n00b

Okay thanks, so any tips on going about getting an upgrade style price on my situation? My G1 is steadily dying and I can't really use it on a day-to-day basis.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:46 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HD2

kabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to kabuk1 Send a message via Yahoo to kabuk1

Try sweet talking a rep, but also try going to Radio Shack & trading in your old electronics for store credit. They gave me $142 for my TP2 & I got my HD2 for $8 this way.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:15 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: At&t Fuze
Carrier: AT&T

Wil Badger is becoming a PPCGeeks regularWil Badger is becoming a PPCGeeks regularWil Badger is becoming a PPCGeeks regularWil Badger is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via ICQ to Wil Badger Send a message via AIM to Wil Badger Send a message via MSN to Wil Badger Send a message via Yahoo to Wil Badger

Don't get me wrong by what I said earlier or by what was said, Yes there are apps and plenty of them. The thing is the type of apps your going to see. If you are looking for all the goofy iPhone style apps. You know the ones, they have no true point other then to waste your time and look cool doing it. How ever you will find plenty of apps geared toward doing something productive like work while not at work. Yes WinMo does have it's share of time wasters just not as many. I enjoy a good time waster as well and tend to gear it towards gaming. You can get an app that will emulate a PS1,and others that will do almost any console out there. I have several driving games. On my old Fuze I had Quake 3 I can run it on the HD but just haven't really given it a try till I find a good g-sensor app since there are no keys.

See that's the other thing about the HD2 compared to other phones with keyboards. There are no real mappable keys as of yet. I'm not dogging the HD2 but I would check it out do some searching. You will find most people that come from Android are not happy with WinMo most times. You can do some searches for the apps you think you would want and see if they are out there before doing something you'll regret later.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC HD2