PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Evo Shift 4G (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=305)
-   -   Is Tethering Still Possible? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=143115)

gamingneeds 04-26-2011 10:36 PM

Is Tethering Still Possible?

I want to use my phone's 4G on my laptop but not sure how to go about it...

I did some research and noticed it looks like I need to first root my phone, but I'm not sure if there is a good permanent method yet... is unrevoked still working well?

Secondly, how do I make my phone thered/wifi ready afterwards?

Thanks for your help! :notworthy:

mulhiny 04-27-2011 12:17 AM

Re: Is Tethering Still Possible?

Yes, you need to root. Check this thread over at XDA out. Worked for me on the first go.

[Win32 Tool]GUI Root with Check and Recovery! - xda-developers

gamingneeds 04-27-2011 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mulhiny (Post 2091787)
Yes, you need to root. Check this thread over at XDA out. Worked for me on the first go.

Hey, thanks for link.

That seems to root the phone, how do I use it with my laptop afterward?

Also, I'm reading the directions and it's either really simple or extremely complicated. Do I simply connect my phone (ON) to my PC and then run the Root? When do I know to reboot, etc?

Also, how do I make a backup image since the program only seems to have the install recovery image option and not a backup?

Thanks for your help!

HTCotta 04-27-2011 02:54 AM

Once you flash the recovery, boot into it. That is where you can make a nandroid backup, it's quite easy you'll figure it out quick. Recovery is really amazing, coming from WinMo i really wish we would have had something like recovery, you'll love it trust me. Also change your phone info you've upgraded!

EDIT: Herp derp...I should probably tell you how to flash recovery and boot into it. Regardless of what any of the DIY's say the easiest way to flash recovery and boot into it is to download an app called "ROM Manager" from the market. Open ROM manager and the first option is to flash current recovery. Keep in mind this is all after you've rooted. Click that first option, recovery will flash and then you should select the option to reboot into recovery and just check it out. ROM Manager provides a super easy way to make backups as you can just select to backup and restore from ROM Manager instead of selecting in from within recovery, both are easy, you'll figure it out.

gamingneeds 04-27-2011 05:20 PM

I tried using ShiftRR as suggested but it doesn't work on my x64. I'm also wondering how to use the 4g on my laptop still as well.

Hoping someone can help here...

Thanks.

gamingneeds 04-27-2011 05:57 PM

Do the official google android tethering apps still work? Will the one for the evo also work with the shift?

Is there a version of ShiftRR I can run on Windows 7 x64?

Thanks!

HTCotta 04-27-2011 08:51 PM

For wireless tethering I use "Wireless Tether for Root Users" in the Market, works for 3G, 4G, free, undetectable, and had plenty of options.

gamingneeds 04-27-2011 09:09 PM

Cool, I'll check it out.

I installed ShiftRR onto a 32-bit OS and now I can't get it to work. I load HTC Sync on my phone and the PC, then when I open the program I get an error saying it can't connect and to disconnect and reconnect in 10 seconds...

Any idea whats up?

HTCotta 04-28-2011 02:44 AM

Wish I could help, but I'm not familiar with ShiftRR. Is it the program used to root? I rooted early on so I used the long way described in the thread on XDA.

prboy1969 05-11-2011 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mulhiny (Post 2091787)

Used this very same one on A Shift I recently did for someone. Worked perfect first shot :headbang:. Much easier than the way I did it comparitively. Also loaded Wireless Tethering for Root users. Works great.