PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo Shift 4G

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2011, 10:29 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: sprint

tt C6 is keeping up the good worktt C6 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Shift as laptop modem WITHOUT hotspot fee? microUSB tether? software? etc?

Is there a Sprint condoned way to share the Shift's 4G/3G connection with my laptop WITHOUT any additional fees over and above the $69.99 + $10?
(micro-USB tether, software, etc)

What are all the options?

What do we need and how long do we have to wait?

Thank you.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:51 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D
Carrier: Sprint

yankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
You can use easytether or pdanet to do usb tethering. Right now if you want to do any wifi tether you'll have to pay $30 or wait till the phone is rooted to do it for free.

Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk

Free! Full Body Protection for your smartphone.
http://stealthguards.com/idevaffilia...ate.php?id=417
Old 01-09-2011, 10:55 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: sprint
Threadstarter

tt C6 is keeping up the good worktt C6 is keeping up the good work
Re: Shift as laptop modem WITHOUT hotspot fee? microUSB tether? software? etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankees45us View Post
You can use easytether or pdanet to do usb tethering. Right now if you want to do any wifi tether you'll have to pay $30 or wait till the phone is rooted to do it for free.

Stealth Guards
So, I can use both of those sofware solutions to USB tether TODAY, with no rooting necessary?

I assume they are free?
Can you post a reliable source for download?

What is the method/mods for free hotspot and what is the anticipated wait time?

Thank you
Old 01-09-2011, 10:55 PM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

i use both pdanet and easytether pro and free pdanet s much better imo.

PdaNet -- USB Tether/Bluetooth DUN for Android
Old 01-10-2011, 10:28 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Touch Pro 2

lgmayka is keeping up the good worklgmayka is keeping up the good work

Rooting the Evo Shift 4G is not nearly as difficult as you think.

1) Install z4root (no longer available in the Market, but downloadable from xda-developers).
2) Run Superuser, to set to temporary root (lasts until next reboot--I have not tried the permanent root).
3) Install Wireless Tether (available in the Market for free).
4) Run Wireless Tether. (Remember to set a WPA password, for your own safety.) Enjoy.

Again, you will have to set the temporary root after every reboot. I have not tried the permanent root. But unlike my previous phone (Touch Pro 2), this model seems to rarely require rebooting.

You may need the Astro File Manager (available in the Market for free) to install z4root from your memory card's Download folder.

Does Sprint officially condone this? No, of course not. But do they really care much if you occasionally surf the web while eating lunch? Apparently not. Just to be as safe as possible, though: Enable 4G if available in your area. Sprint expects 4G connections to download a lot of megabytes, so mild tethering is highly unlikely to attract attention.

As I often point out: If Sprint really cared about how many gigabytes we use, it would not force Sprint TV to use the cellular connection instead of WiFi. Sprint TV is clearly the biggest gigabyte hog of all preloaded Sprint software.

Last edited by lgmayka; 01-10-2011 at 10:42 AM.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:29 PM
Almost a VIP

yankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgmayka View Post
Rooting the Evo Shift 4G is not nearly as difficult as you think.

1) Install z4root (no longer available in the Market, but downloadable from xda-developers).
2) Run Superuser, to set to temporary root (lasts until next reboot--I have not tried the permanent root).
3) Install Wireless Tether (available in the Market for free).
4) Run Wireless Tether. (Remember to set a WPA password, for your own safety.) Enjoy.

Again, you will have to set the temporary root after every reboot. I have not tried the permanent root. But unlike my previous phone (Touch Pro 2), this model seems to rarely require rebooting.

You may need the Astro File Manager (available in the Market for free) to install z4root from your memory card's Download folder.

Does Sprint officially condone this? No, of course not. But do they really care much if you occasionally surf the web while eating lunch? Apparently not. Just to be as safe as possible, though: Enable 4G if available in your area. Sprint expects 4G connections to download a lot of megabytes, so mild tethering is highly unlikely to attract attention.

As I often point out: If Sprint really cared about how many gigabytes we use, it would not force Sprint TV to use the cellular connection instead of WiFi. Sprint TV is clearly the biggest gigabyte hog of all preloaded Sprint software.
Do you have the evo shift 4g? Have you tried this method yourself?
Old 01-10-2011, 03:15 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Touch Pro 2

lgmayka is keeping up the good worklgmayka is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankees45us View Post
Do you have the evo shift 4g? Have you tried this method yourself?
To avoid self-incrimination (in case Sprint is reading this forum), I will simply say that I have seen this work properly multiple times, on stock HTC Evo Shift 4G, since Thursday.

But again, I can only speak for the temporary-root option. I do not know whether the permanent-root option will work, nor what side effects it might have.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:35 PM
Almost a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgmayka View Post
To avoid self-incrimination (in case Sprint is reading this forum), I will simply say that I have seen this work properly multiple times, on stock HTC Evo Shift 4G, since Thursday.

But again, I can only speak for the temporary-root option. I do not know whether the permanent-root option will work, nor what side effects it might have.
I don't think you can incriminate yourself. It is NOT illegal to root your phone. It may be against the warranty policy which they can void but that's about it. Also its not illegal to circumvent the tethering features. There is no law against it or for it since the net neutrality rule still doesn't apply to mobile companies. So if they tried to do anything they would have to go to court which they won't since it will have to be decided by a judge and the fcc would step in to protect the consumer. But that's a whole other story.

http://stealthguards.com/idevaffilia...ate.php?id=417
Old 01-11-2011, 02:30 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Mogul

emkorial is just getting started

I prefer the wired USB method of thethering anyway, since it charges the battery while you are tethering. Wireless tehtering really sucks up the battery.

I'm going to give PDA Net a try, hope it works!
Old 01-12-2011, 12:12 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO Shift 4G

prboy1969 is keeping up the good workprboy1969 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren.wlsn1 View Post
i use both pdanet and easytether pro and free pdanet s much better imo.

PdaNet -- USB Tether/Bluetooth DUN for Android

Just installed PDaNet and am using to write this right now.

Last edited by prboy1969; 01-13-2011 at 10:11 PM.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo Shift 4G