PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Evo Shift 4G (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=305)
-   -   Processor? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=139307)

jparks29 01-07-2011 06:26 AM

Processor?

Supposed to have an 8xx Mhz snapdragon processor, how will that compare to the Evo or Epic?

What about the embedded GPU?

I have a TP2 and can't even run a movie encoded @ 320x240 in WMV without a hiccup. I know they're quite a few leaps ahead, but which one is the fastest?

john80hotkey 01-07-2011 03:51 PM

Re: Processor?

well based on my research and understanding the 800mhz processor in the evo shift is a 2nd generation snapdragon processor and even though it is underclocked from the 1ghz snapdragon is actually suppose to be more efficient and faster than the 1ghz 1st gen snapdragon found in the original evo. as far as how that compares to the epic is unknown to me I think the hummingbird processor is still ahead of the second gen snapdragon as it was well ahead of the first gen snapdragon in the evo so the 2nd gen might have msde up some ground but I dont believe it still compares. video playback with new phones is completely different with hd video recording and playback regular movies wont cause any problems I watch vidoes online with my browser with few lags and downloaded movies with no problem on my evo.

princem131 01-10-2011 06:51 PM

+1 You pick up a keyboard and second gen processor but lose a front facing camera and screen real-estate basically

Quote:

Originally Posted by john80hotkey (Post 2031979)
well based on my research and understanding the 800mhz processor in the evo shift is a 2nd generation snapdragon processor and even though it is underclocked from the 1ghz snapdragon is actually suppose to be more efficient and faster than the 1ghz 1st gen snapdragon found in the original evo. as far as how that compares to the epic is unknown to me I think the hummingbird processor is still ahead of the second gen snapdragon as it was well ahead of the first gen snapdragon in the evo so the 2nd gen might have msde up some ground but I dont believe it still compares. video playback with new phones is completely different with hd video recording and playback regular movies wont cause any problems I watch vidoes online with my browser with few lags and downloaded movies with no problem on my evo.

emkorial 01-11-2011 02:33 PM

The CPU SMOKES the TP2

It's 800 Mhz and runs everything smoothly. Remember, you don't want a CPU as fast as possible, you want a CPU just fast enough to meet your needs, and no faster, because at that point all you are doing is running your battery down faster.

princem131 01-12-2011 05:07 PM

My question is how noticeable/significant is the power boost in the Shift's 2nd gen processor vs the Evo's 1st gen processor? And in what areas do you see the boosts?

tornacl 01-12-2011 11:47 PM

+1 for John80 .

Awesome research man. The fact that it is a 2nd gen Snapdragon allows it to run real close speed wise with the 1GHZ 1st gen snap dragon.

With the smaller screen and less power consumed by the whole package, it should have excellent battery life.

prboy1969 01-13-2011 08:52 PM

Saw video somewhere of a head to head EVO Shift vs. EVO. The Shift was faster as far as megaflops. Don't know exactley what that means. But I do know, my Shift is considerably faster than my TP2 ever was. My TP2 was OC'd to 729mHz w/ a jump to 768mHz. Loving my Shift :D

darren.wlsn1 01-13-2011 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tornacl (Post 2035747)
+1 for John80 .

Awesome research man. The fact that it is a 2nd gen Snapdragon allows it to run real close speed wise with the 1GHZ 1st gen snap dragon.

With the smaller screen and less power consumed by the whole package, it should have excellent battery life.

well that battery statement is not true, well not for me and lots of others i see in forums. its not terrible or anything but my epic is better.

NthgToFear 01-14-2011 11:18 AM

I just unpacked my Shift this morning and started playing with it. Initially it seems slower than the Evo.

geekdaddy 01-15-2011 12:21 PM

It's important to distinguish between cpu performance and graphics performance. The qualcomm and samsung processor SoC's have a general purpose CPU and a dedicated graphics engine. In general...

1. Qualcomm's snapdragon cpu at 1GHz is faster than Samsung's Hummingbird.
2. The Shift uses an 800MHz version of Snapdragon. Probably a little slower.
3. The Samsung graphics engine is the Power 540. The fastest currently shipping on an SoC.
4. The Qualcomm graphics engine on Evo is Adreno 200. Shift uses new 205.
5. The Adreno 205 is much faster (4x) vs 200 and almost as fast as the 540. It also has dedicated HW decode for Flash.

So the overall user experience is based on a combination of cpu and graphics performance and response. The CPU used in the Shift isn't as fast as the Evo but it's close. Probably about the same performance as Samsung. The Shift's graphics processor is much faster than the EVO and just a little slower than Samsung. More info here:

What is Adreno 205 and how does it compare to other GPUs? - Smartphone Benchmarks (SmartBench 2010/Quadrant) Forum
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snapdragon_(processor)