PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo Shift 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2011, 07:26 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO
Carrier: Sprint

zone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I have a EVO I bought the wife a Shift. It scores about 1600+ in quadrant and 55+ FPS Out if the box. It's very nice but the screen is small compared to the EVO. It's pretty light if you have or had a TP2 its much lighter than that. Nice phone if you want a keyboard.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Droidrox39
Old 01-17-2011, 01:04 AM
sno
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

sno is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Re: Processor?

Here's the WireFly video comparison of the Samsung Epic and the EVO Shift:
YouTube - HTC EVO Shift 4G vs. Samsung Epic 4G Schmackdown!
Old 01-21-2011, 10:45 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekdaddy View Post
It's important to distinguish between cpu performance and graphics performance. The qualcomm and samsung processor SoC's have a general purpose CPU and a dedicated graphics engine. In general...

1. Qualcomm's snapdragon cpu at 1GHz is faster than Samsung's Hummingbird.
No..its not..the Hummingbird clock for clock if definitely faster then a 1st gen snapdragon and around equal clock for clock with a 2nd gen in terms of raw CPU...

Quote:
2. The Shift uses an 800MHz version of Snapdragon. Probably a little slower.
Even at 800mhz its on par with a 1st gen 1ghz snapdragon cpu wise..

Quote:
3. The Samsung graphics engine is the Power 540. The fastest currently shipping on an SoC.
ok..

Quote:
4. The Qualcomm graphics engine on Evo is Adreno 200. Shift uses new 205.
Yes...

Quote:
5. The Adreno 205 is much faster (4x) vs 200 and almost as fast as the 540. It also has dedicated HW decode for Flash.
4x is pushing it.. its 2x around...and for the record the Hummingbird is 2x more powerful then the Adreno 205 GPU...Adreno dither things at 16bit..while Hummingbird is doing things at 24bit..if you benchmark using both dithering at 16bit you will see the hummingbird eat the Adreno 205 for breakfast..

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 01-27-2011, 01:16 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Rhodium

geekdaddy is keeping up the good workgeekdaddy is keeping up the good workgeekdaddy is keeping up the good work

gTen: Did you check the link I included in my post? It contains some quantitative benchmark results which backup some of the qualitative comments I made. I've also seen some other references which I unfortunately cannot share that are consistent with the one's I provided.

We can quibble over the details, but I think you'd agree that the overall experience delivered by the CPU and GPU combination in the Shift is faster than the Evo and nearer to the Galaxy as a result of the revised GPU.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:47 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekdaddy View Post
gTen: Did you check the link I included in my post? It contains some quantitative benchmark results which backup some of the qualitative comments I made. I've also seen some other references which I unfortunately cannot share that are consistent with the one's I provided.
Yes I did, but the links you provided, the data is outdated...I mean for one they are measuring 2.1(on Galaxy S) vs 2.2(on the G2)..2nd they are not accounting for VFP and 16/24bit dithering and fps cap..

Quote:
We can quibble over the details, but I think you'd agree that the overall experience delivered by the CPU and GPU combination in the Shift is faster than the Evo and nearer to the Galaxy as a result of the revised GPU.
I agree that its better then the Evo, yes..I also agree that the CPU is closer(so if Evo shift was clocked at 1ghz they would be around same clock for clock)..but the GPU on the Galaxy S is 2x better still...so in terms of GPU it looks like this:

EVO->2x better->Evo shift->2x better->Galaxy S
Old 02-21-2011, 11:29 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Shift/Bold

tr0s is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartr0s is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartr0s is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartr0s is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to tr0s Send a message via Yahoo to tr0s Send a message via Skype™ to tr0s

not to beat a dead horse.... but i'll take my shift oc'd to 1.5ghz anyday over an epic or an evo. why? performance and battery life. i consistently pull 1800+ quadrant and 55+ linpack..... so i'm good with the performance. oh and my battery lasts me all day long and then some(background data, gps, and full animation enabled). so in the end, i can actually use the full functionality of my phone and not have to charge it every 6 hours. i was hesitant at first mainly because there hasn't been a huge following and the processor is 800mhz... but in the end, no doubt about it, i'm happy with the purchase.

"Life moves pretty fast. You don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -- F. Bueller
Old 02-22-2011, 01:38 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Evo Shift 4G

HTCotta is becoming a PPCGeeks regularHTCotta is becoming a PPCGeeks regularHTCotta is becoming a PPCGeeks regularHTCotta is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

^What he said. The Shift is a great phone, I was really excited to root it and flash custom ROMS, but with it pulling 2150's in quadrant and 57 fps on the stock rom OC'd to 1.5 GHz I see no need to flash. At least not until we have some more refined offerings. I knew how to cook a little bit for WM but Android seems a LOT more complicated.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo Shift 4G