PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2012, 05:47 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC 4g
Carrier: Sprint

MzDonna is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
new to rooting and wifi hotspot

I just bought a sprint HTC 4G phone. My job requires me to be out for extended periods without internet access, so I want to make my phone a hotspot. I have viewed many tutorials online but being the newbie I am they make no sense, is there a tutorial that someone could suggest that would help me root, and install a tethering app that wont completely confuse me? [-o<
Old 02-05-2012, 06:51 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC One M8
Carrier: Verizon

Karl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Karl Send a message via Yahoo to Karl Send a message via Skype™ to Karl
Re: new to rooting and wifi hotspot

did you read this one
[ROOT] EVO 4G Gingerbread 2.3 Root Tutorial - xda-developers

once you get root you can download tether app from the market

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."

Old 02-05-2012, 07:13 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC 4g
Threadstarter

MzDonna is a n00b

actually I did, and as I said previously I am a total newbie.. I was lost at.. copy to your root of SD card. I dont even know how to do that ...
Old 02-05-2012, 01:09 PM
#1 troll!
Pocket PC: Moto G5 Plus
Carrier: AT&T aka deathstar

fixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)

root your phone and use the wifitether app. if you do a google search you will find it.

Old 02-05-2012, 02:58 PM
VFW Member
Pocket PC: GNote2 Sprint SERO!
Carrier: Theodore Roosevelt CVN-71

gullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MzDonna View Post
actually I did, and as I said previously I am a total newbie.. I was lost at.. copy to your root of SD card. I dont even know how to do that ...
That just means put the file on your SD Card, not in a subfolder!
Plug the phone into your PC and use as USB storage to copy the file to the phone.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:48 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

getyourmindright is just getting started

Not to hijack my fellow thread poster, but with the changes sprint has made to the data plans is it safe to assume that if you root and download the wifi tether app will you avoid their caps on data usage?
Old 02-25-2012, 12:17 AM
Android Soldier
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S4
Carrier: The Can You Hear Me Now Network

KIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by MzDonna View Post
I just bought a sprint HTC 4G phone. My job requires me to be out for extended periods without internet access, so I want to make my phone a hotspot. I have viewed many tutorials online but being the newbie I am they make no sense, is there a tutorial that someone could suggest that would help me root, and install a tethering app that wont completely confuse me? [-o<
well unfortunately we were all new at one time, and it just takes time and a lot of reading to get comfortable with this stuff, so what I would suggest is you read those links that were posted and also get on youtube and watch some video's of people rooting their phone, just do a search for your phone, i.e. how to root evo 4g.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getyourmindright View Post
Not to hijack my fellow thread poster, but with the changes sprint has made to the data plans is it safe to assume that if you root and download the wifi tether app will you avoid their caps on data usage?
Your best bet is to root the phone and use a custom rom that removes all that stuff that Sprint puts on the phone and then feel free to tether and use hotspot, I wouldn't worry to much unless you are roaming and using a lot of data and voice, just got a letter from Sprint complaining that I used over 300mb of roaming data in a month.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:45 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

getyourmindright is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIOWA69 View Post
well unfortunately we were all new at one time, and it just takes time and a lot of reading to get comfortable with this stuff, so what I would suggest is you read those links that were posted and also get on youtube and watch some video's of people rooting their phone, just do a search for your phone, i.e. how to root evo 4g.

Your best bet is to root the phone and use a custom rom that removes all that stuff that Sprint puts on the phone and then feel free to tether and use hotspot, I wouldn't worry to much unless you are roaming and using a lot of data and voice, just got a letter from Sprint complaining that I used over 300mb of roaming data in a month.
ok cool, as soon as I get that letter saying that my hotspot is capped I'm rooting, by the way what is the best Rom out? I keep seeing something about cayomegen our something like that.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:12 AM
The Rootinator
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D, HTC EVO 4G LTE, HTC ONE

rootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
We have several great roms here.

MikG3.0
Tommy's Classic

The first two are Sense roms and will be like your stock device on mega steroids.

Swiper MIUI ( Looks a lot like iphone but with widgets)

And several more..
Try them all and see what you like.

No one can say what is best because we all have different tastes.

I personally run them all.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:21 AM
Android Soldier
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S4
Carrier: The Can You Hear Me Now Network

KIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by getyourmindright View Post
ok cool, as soon as I get that letter saying that my hotspot is capped I'm rooting, by the way what is the best Rom out? I keep seeing something about cayomegen our something like that.
If your not rooted then you won't be able to use hotspot unless you have that added onto your plan, you'll have to root in order to use that for free, along with the tethering app, what you could do if you like the stock rom is to root the phone and download those apps and then be done, or you could use one of the great custom roms that are out, and like was said it's up to you on what works best for you, we all have different opinions on what's best, unfortunately you are coming in late on the evo 4g and there really is not a whole lot of updating being done to the roms, but lots of them that are out and still useful.

And to let you know you are not alone I think it was about two weeks after reading and watching youtube videos is when I took the leap and rooted my phone, so don't feel rushed and you always have this forum to ask questions, good luck!
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G