PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2011, 09:20 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint

KCHruby is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Rooting, Wi Fi Hotspot and Upgrading Android

Ladies and Gentlemen,

First of all, I apologize for this post. I know my questions have been asked and answered, probably hundreds of times. Unfortunately, most of the threads are so long (a few hundred posts) that it's hard for me to glean the information that I need. I hope I can get my answers in just a few replies.

Obviously I've got the HTC Evo 4G on the Sprint Network. I'm not really interested in loading new ROMs, all I need that is out of the ordinary is to be able to use my HotSpot option without having to pay Sprint $25 a month.

Right now, to use the HotSpot, I use the "Temporary Root" option that comes with z4Root Version 1.3.0 and then I use "Wireless Tether" v 2.0.7 and together those two work great for me. I'm not opposed to using the "Permanent Root" option, I just haven't done so yet.

My phone still has Android Version 2.2 because I intentionally haven't upgraded because I'm not sure if Z4Root and Wireless Tether will still work with an upgraded version of Android.

My questions:

If I upgrade my version of Android, will Z4Root 1.3.0 and Wireless Tether 2.0.7 still work? Z4Root was not an easy app for me to find so I hate to upgrade if the version I have won't work.

If I do a permanent root, then upgrade my version of Android, will I still be rooted?

Is it worth me upgrading my Version of Android? Am I missing anything spectacular or do the upgrades have more flaws then they're worth?

Finally, one last request. As you've probably figured I'm definitely not an expert--I probably know just enough to be dangerous--so if you could put your replies in easy to use terms, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

KCHruby
Old 12-06-2011, 12:36 PM
Android Soldier
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S4
Carrier: The Can You Hear Me Now Network

KIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the community
Re: Rooting, Wi Fi Hotspot and Upgrading Android

Never used temp root program z4root, I'm permanently rooted, just easier for me that way, and I use wireless tether or you can use hotspot or whatever you want to share your phones internet with a computer.

Your going to have to make sure your phones not rooted, update to gingerbread and then use revolutionary to root it, don't think you can update with root from what I remember, plus you would lose it anyways when you updated.

Personally if it was me I would just root the phone and put a custom rom on the phone and be done with it and then you won't have the bloatware you don't want and can install programs that you want that are not already included in the rom.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:54 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC One M8
Carrier: Verizon

Karl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Karl Send a message via Yahoo to Karl Send a message via Skype™ to Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCHruby View Post
Ladies and Gentlemen,

First of all, I apologize for this post. I know my questions have been asked and answered, probably hundreds of times. Unfortunately, most of the threads are so long (a few hundred posts) that it's hard for me to glean the information that I need. I hope I can get my answers in just a few replies.

Obviously I've got the HTC Evo 4G on the Sprint Network. I'm not really interested in loading new ROMs, all I need that is out of the ordinary is to be able to use my HotSpot option without having to pay Sprint $25 a month.

Right now, to use the HotSpot, I use the "Temporary Root" option that comes with z4Root Version 1.3.0 and then I use "Wireless Tether" v 2.0.7 and together those two work great for me. I'm not opposed to using the "Permanent Root" option, I just haven't done so yet.

My phone still has Android Version 2.2 because I intentionally haven't upgraded because I'm not sure if Z4Root and Wireless Tether will still work with an upgraded version of Android.

My questions:

If I upgrade my version of Android, will Z4Root 1.3.0 and Wireless Tether 2.0.7 still work? Z4Root was not an easy app for me to find so I hate to upgrade if the version I have won't work.

If I do a permanent root, then upgrade my version of Android, will I still be rooted?

Is it worth me upgrading my Version of Android? Am I missing anything spectacular or do the upgrades have more flaws then they're worth?

Finally, one last request. As you've probably figured I'm definitely not an expert--I probably know just enough to be dangerous--so if you could put your replies in easy to use terms, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

KCHruby
if you upgrade z4root will no longer work (it was built to root froyo)

if you perma-root then upgrade you will still be rooted depending how you upgrade

i beliveve it is worth you upgrading, newer android OS is more optimized so it runs cleaner sometimes you do get bugs with newer os but thats why most use custom roms

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."

Old 12-07-2011, 07:48 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

KCHruby is a n00b

Kiowa and Karl,

Thanks for the feedback. I think I may give "Revolutionary" a try. I had never heard of that one before but did find a useful site after your post (Kiowa). I'm going to study up on that a bit before I try it but again, thank you very much for the information. I'm not opposed to the idea of rooting and installing a different ROM but baby steps for me. LOL

If anybody else has any suggestions, please chime in.

KCHruby
Old 12-07-2011, 09:01 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC One M8
Carrier: Verizon

Karl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Karl Send a message via Yahoo to Karl Send a message via Skype™ to Karl

these might be helpful

[ROOT] EVO 4G Gingerbread 2.3 Root Tutorial - xda-developers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HHas...layer_embedded
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:24 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

KCHruby is a n00b

Karl,

That will be a huge help, thank you very much.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:17 AM
Android Soldier

KIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCHruby View Post
Kiowa and Karl,

Thanks for the feedback. I think I may give "Revolutionary" a try. I had never heard of that one before but did find a useful site after your post (Kiowa). I'm going to study up on that a bit before I try it but again, thank you very much for the information. I'm not opposed to the idea of rooting and installing a different ROM but baby steps for me. LOL

If anybody else has any suggestions, please chime in.

KCHruby
Not a problem bro that's why we have this community. Don't try to rush and root the phone and flash a rom until your ready, I know how you feel as I think it took me two weeks to root and flash my phone the first time after reading about it, I read a lot and watched a lot of youtube videos before doing it. If you have additional questions just post them and we'll try to point you in the right direction, or give you the answer your looking for, good luck!
Old 12-23-2011, 07:47 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy S3

lkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stuff

Last night I ran Revolutionary on my 2.3.3 Evo with HBoot 2.16 I was running the latest stock Rom 4.54

All seem to go flawless. I am S-Off and ran Superuser-3.0.6-d-signed from Recovery and got the correct responses.

I reboot, install all my goodies but any app that requires Root complains it cannot get Root access. I go to the Market and update Superuser to 3.07 but no difference. I try to reset permission via Rom manager but it wants Root access.

When I go into Root manager, I can migrate to the root, but I can't mount as RW. Only RO. I open up Superuser and there is nothing in the list.

I pay for the Elite ver and it shows a list of "Featured Apps". I try running TP from the list but it still complains. Any ideas?
Old 12-27-2011, 01:21 AM
Android Soldier

What I would do is to boot into recovery and clear the cache and dalvik and then run fix permissions and see if that does it, it's been a while since I rooted, but I think it gives you the option of running SuperUser after running Revolutionary and also gives you the option of installing Rom Manager. Also did you try to open SuperUser and then go to menu and see if there was any updates and try to update the binaries? That's where I would start to see if it fixes the issues.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:39 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch
Carrier: sprint

vdavis is a n00b

i had the same issue, everything that i tried did not work, i finally downloaded the Fresh rom by flipz, flashed my phone and i can tether now.... Fresh Rom – CDMA Android Development ยป Home of Fresh Rom for Sprint Evo 3D, Evo 4g, & Evo Shift — Geek For Me
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G