PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2011, 12:54 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

ToolNila is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; PC36100 Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I've been waiting patiently, but haven't gotten any notifications about an update. I live in the Chicagoland area if that means anything. When I manually search for the update, it keeps searching for it to no avail. I called Sprint a few weeks ago but the worthless agent told me to wait. WTF where is it, its August already!
Old 08-12-2011, 03:03 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 3 & Evo 5G

mikewest is keeping up the good workmikewest is keeping up the good workmikewest is keeping up the good work
Re: WTF whwres my Gingerbread update??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolNila View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; PC36100 Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I've been waiting patiently, but haven't gotten any notifications about an update. I live in the Chicagoland area if that means anything. When I manually search for the update, it keeps searching for it to no avail. I called Sprint a few weeks ago but the worthless agent told me to wait. WTF where is it, its August already!

Is your phone rooted? If not root your Android 2.2 device with unrevoked. Then I suggest you install Rom Manager from the market, you can use that to install a custom recovery. I recommend that you install the "alternate recovery." Once your alternate recovery is installed, go to Shipped ROMs to download Shipped ROMs

You can install it with your custom recovery.

If you need more details about any of the steps I covered briefly, it has been covered many times in the past in various postings, by myself and others.

Now, most will just flame you for not searching before posting. Here is that flame: Search and you will find more detailed info.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:26 AM
Android Soldier
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S4
Carrier: The Can You Hear Me Now Network

KIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the community

The big question is why would you want the OTA update instead of just rooting your phone and using a custom 2.3 rom? I would love to trade places and not have the OTA update and be able to flash custom roms right now, but it is what it is.

Like the previous post said just go to unrevoked.com and root the phone, install the custom recovery, create a nandroid and then flash a custom rom, you'll be way happier without all that bloatware.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:29 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Threadstarter

ToolNila is a n00b

Yikes, apparently I have a lot of research to do since I have no clue what either of you are talking about. Besides all the bloatware, what's so bad about the OTA update? Total noob here.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:36 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: LTEvo

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIOWA69 View Post
The big question is why would you want the OTA update instead of just rooting your phone and using a custom 2.3 rom? I would love to trade places and not have the OTA update and be able to flash custom roms right now, but it is what it is.
You may be in luck. If you have hboot 2.15 or 2.16 you may be able to root GB Evo now.
Revolutionary

Quote:

Yikes, apparently I have a lot of research to do since I have no clue what either of you are talking about. Besides all the bloatware, what's so bad about the OTA update? Total noob here.
99.9 times out of 100 the OTA will close the loophole that is being used on the old version to gain root. Then you're stuck until someone develops root for the new OTA. We just got root for GB Evos and that update came out back in June.
Once you get root NEVER accept an OTA update. This is a good rule to follow regardless of device. Sadly the Evo is being phased out so we are unlikely to see any future updates.
Even though root appears to have been found for the GB Evo I suggest you follow the advice already given and root whatcha got. Then flash the rooted GB ROM of your choice.
Happy reading
Old 08-17-2011, 11:49 PM
Android Soldier

KIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the community

Yeah I had hboot 2.16 and rooted the other day when they put out that Revolutionary was working, man it feels so good to get the phone rooted and flash custom roms again, seems like it was so long ago but only like a month or so lol.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:56 PM
Android Soldier

Quote:

haha yeah it's a lot to take in at first.

below is a thread with a lot of information on rooting and a lot of good stuff, be aware that the thread was made before Gingerbread came out so some stuffs different, that's if you are on the Gingerbread 2.3 rom that Sprint put out.

I suggest reading and watching youtube videos until you feel more comfortable and if you have any questions feel free to ask and someone will point you in the right direction, it's really not hard and your not going to hurt your phone by flashing a rom, it's when you get into flashing radios and stuff where you can screw things up. Also if you are on the Gingerbread 2.3 rom check out that link that iknowsquat put in the above post <the blue revolutionary link above>.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/htc-evo-4g...roms-wipe.html

***Edit***
I just scanned the first couple of posts in that thread and see that he updated some stuff and the link to root the hboot 2.16 Gingerbread update is in that thread also. Also another note is that it took me a week or two of reading before I rooted and flashed my first custom rom, so don't feel pressured into hurrying up just read and try to understand as much as you can and it will all work out.

Sorry for the long post but I keep thinking of things to tell you lol. Bloatware is all the crap programs that Sprint puts on their roms, stuff like nascar, sprint tv, sprint football, nothing to wrong with it if your into all that stuff, but it takes up room and slows the phone down and stuff like that is why everyone calls it bloatware and wants it off.

Last edited by KIOWA69; 08-18-2011 at 12:01 AM.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G