PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2011, 06:28 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

fuzzybabybunny is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Migrating to a new ROM - backups?

So I'm helping a friend upgrade her ROM on her EVO and I'm not too sure what's the procedure for backing up and and restoring stuff like SMS, text, apps, etc.

I don't want to do a complete backup like Nandroid because I don't want to back up the ROM.

I'm pretty sure that her contacts, emails, and apps will be automatically reloaded onto the phone after I reconnect it to her Google account, right? But what about other stuff like SMS and others I might be missing?

Last edited by fuzzybabybunny; 08-11-2011 at 06:32 PM.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:08 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC One M8
Carrier: Verizon

Karl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Karl Send a message via Yahoo to Karl Send a message via Skype™ to Karl
Use titanium back up or my backup pro

Sent from my E3D using tapatalk

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."

Old 08-12-2011, 12:46 AM
Android Soldier
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S4
Carrier: The Can You Hear Me Now Network

KIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the community
Re: Migrating to a new ROM - backups?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzybabybunny View Post
So I'm helping a friend upgrade her ROM on her EVO and I'm not too sure what's the procedure for backing up and and restoring stuff like SMS, text, apps, etc.

I don't want to do a complete backup like Nandroid because I don't want to back up the ROM.

I'm pretty sure that her contacts, emails, and apps will be automatically reloaded onto the phone after I reconnect it to her Google account, right? But what about other stuff like SMS and others I might be missing?
Her contacts and their information should be backed up to her google account, for programs use Titanium to back them up and if she's on a custom rom already a lot already have ways to back them up to an .xml file that you can re-import after flashing the new rom, personally I use GoSMS Pro which is free on the market and it has a built in back-up program that you can use to re-import the texts and sms's, great program that has a lot of functions that I like, like it wakes the phone and unlocks it when you get a text message and also has different vibrate functions to notify you, all you would have to do is flash the new rom and when you use Titanium to reinstall your programs GoSMS Pro should be reinstalled and then you re-import all your text and sms messages.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:21 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4g
Carrier: Sprint

Biggnaa20 is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to Biggnaa20 Send a message via Skype™ to Biggnaa20

I'd still recommend doing a nandroid back up just in case something goes wrong. It's good to know you have that back up sitting there just in case.

I don't usually back up texts since I don't really think of them as permanent messages, but titanium back up is really good for everything else.

nnb
Old 08-12-2011, 05:05 PM
Android Soldier

KIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the community

Honestly the only thing that I would definitely back-up is the WiMax Keys, everything else is replaceable.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:31 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: nokia
Carrier: nokia

alexamarky is a n00b

Her contacts and their information should support her Google account, use of titanium for the plan to back them up and if she has a lot of custom ROM's have a way to return to their maximum. XML file, you can re-import after flashing a new ROM, I personally use GoSMS Pro This is a free market, it has a built-in backup program
Old 11-22-2011, 10:18 AM
Android Soldier

lol this thread is only 3 months old, little late on the response. Guess he figured it out and the OP didn't post anything else.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G