PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2011, 08:54 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: evo 4g
Carrier: boost

killswitch is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
lurking for a while....finally signed up. lil help?

So...this is probably in the wrong forum but I couldnt figure out which one to post under. Please move to the right one if need be.
Ok. I recently bought an htc evo on craiglist that turns out to have a bad esn
It is also updated with the most recent 4.24.651.1. So I cant root yet.
I have decided that for the time being I would just like to use it as a Media device. Maybe play some games on it from the app store, use the wifi for surfing...maybe skype ect.... use it as a gps without cell service if thats possible. It has been hard reset, but when I go to the phone setting it still has another persons email and phone number in the about phone section. How can I erase this and set it up with my own google account so i can use the app store ect.
Thanks for any help.
Thanks
Killswitch
Old 07-25-2011, 09:34 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Galaxy S II
Carrier: sprint

mac901 is just getting started
Send a message via Yahoo to mac901
Re: lurking for a while....finally signed up. lil help?

dont think you will be able to fully use it til dude release it and lets sprint know. so that the esn will become clean.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:03 PM
VFW Member
Pocket PC: GNote2 Sprint SERO!
Carrier: Theodore Roosevelt CVN-71

gullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
After hard reset you should have to enter your google email to set up the phone. Market should work with wifi after this. This is not the same as your sprint username in About Phone.

You should be able to change the username, however, using ##3282#. Choose Edit, then enter your msl. Select data provisioning then username.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:21 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

killswitch is a n00b

Thanks gullsway...that is what I figured as far as setting up my gmail on it. As far as the username part. What is the "msl" and where do i find it. Sorry for the noob ass questions. Also, Say this person sold their phone to help pay the 300.00 plus bill they owe and dont intend on paying it. i have read that you can still hook it u through metro pcs if they know how to use houdini or something like that. This is supposedly not illegal like cloning it for use on boost. Is this correct, and if so could you please point me to a recent how to thread on how to hook it up on metro pcs
thanks a lot
killswitch
Old 07-26-2011, 12:14 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

killswitch is a n00b

Ok...nevermind about the msl number. I googled a bit and found the answer here in this giant cookbook. Looks like I have to be rooted to get the msl number. Still curious about a recent thread to read up on getting it set up on metro pcs...and getting ALL (or 99% would be nice) of the function that this baby can do. Hmmmm....lets hope that the metro pcs store near me has someone that knows how to do this stuff. If not....it would be great to have a recent tutorial to show them. I got a decent deal on the phone so just being able to use it as a pda, use wifi to use the android market place and the web, and as a multimedia device is cool by me.....for now.
Hmmm?....anyone know of an app that uses the gps chip without cell service. I understand that it needs C.S. to access the maps. BUT. If I got a decent sized micro sd (16-32) That SHOULD be enough room to be able to store maps for the U.S. and still have room left over for apps music and movies.... just a thought.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:08 AM
VFW Member
Pocket PC: GNote2 Sprint SERO!
Carrier: Theodore Roosevelt CVN-71

gullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Copilot "usa" on the market saves maps on your sd card It's $9.99.

The latest google maps lets you download maps to sd also. I just tried it and picked a point on the map, it saved a 10 mile radius around it.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:06 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

killswitch is a n00b

Thanks again gullzway Do you happen to know more about putting a bad esn from sprint onto metropcs? Do they still do that. Do they still use houdini. Ibe looked around on here but the only stories that I could find were a tear or so old.
Need a good how to.
THANKS
killswitch
Old 07-27-2011, 05:10 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

killswitch is a n00b

Thanks for any who have helped me....which is MANY of you during my last couple weeks of reading, not just those who have posted, BUT especially you
As far as reseting username. Gulzwing said ##3282#
but here
How to erase all data from your HTC EVO 4G
someone says get in to RTN by doing ##RTN# which is witch. Dont want to brick it....allready wasted 150.00 on a phone with a bad esn.
As far as getting it going on metro i found this
HOW TO: Fully Flash an HTC Droid Eris to Metro PCS (Tutorial v2.0))
which looks like the best tut that i have found so far. BUT its for the droid eris not htc evo 4g anyone have seen a good tut for the EVO?
peace
killswitch
Old 07-29-2011, 07:14 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: htc touch pro
Carrier: sprint

liable is a n00b

why not email the guy whos phone it is its probly stolen
You have his sprint PCS email just my 2 cents
Old 07-29-2011, 08:16 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 3 & Evo 5G
Carrier: Sprint

mikewest is keeping up the good workmikewest is keeping up the good workmikewest is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by liable View Post
why not email the guy whos phone it is its probly stolen
You have his sprint PCS email just my 2 cents
I think he should email the person that sold it to him, and request a refund, but first he should try to find out why the ESN is not clear....(i.e.: "lost", "stolen", or non payment)

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G