PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2011, 10:33 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO/Inspire/TP2/Treo Pro
Carrier: Sprint/AT&T

4wheelfurry is keeping up the good work4wheelfurry is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
new EVO4g... now?

I didn't upgrade when the EVO 4g came out and then I waited around on the 3d but after seeing/playing with it I'm not digging the 3d stuff. Also the external speaker is a tiny mouse! And I can't have that for my job, I need LOUD!

Anyway I called retentions and they shot me this deal; free 4g no activation fee, so free 4g!!

My delima is a new 4g will most likely come with 2.3 so no ROOT and that is not an option either!!! The first thing I'm going to do is root.. And 2.3 root was supposed to come like a month ago and still nothing so I'm thinking the evo has been abandanded???

So bite? Or hold out for say the Kingdom? How close before there is a 2.3 root method? Thoughts???
Old 06-29-2011, 12:01 AM
Master Kimosabi
Pocket PC: HTC s620<Touch Pro<Touch Pro2<Hero<EVO
Carrier: The 10 years ago Network

aman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: new EVO4g... now?

i have an evo with sense 3.0. Im not gonna bite on the 3D, for me not enough of a difference and I find 3D to be dumb. Screen gave me a headache.

However, if I didnt have an EVO, i would totally get the 3D. The battery is sweet and its nice and fast. Just imagine it rooted
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:59 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: My EVO punches your IPHONES
Carrier: Sprint

mebo73 is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to mebo73

WOW im happy others agree. I was all geeked for it and went and played with it today. UHHH no thank you. I got a headache and dont need them all the time. Im sorta bummed cause i wanted a new phone. Yeh im rocking 2.3 with 3.0

Old 06-29-2011, 09:20 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: EVO 4G

Striker347 is a n00b

For those of you running 2.3 with Sense 3.0, correct em if I am wrong but you were already rooted and flashed the ROM instead of taking the OTA update?

To the OP original question, I would not say that the 4G has been abandoned, the issue with rooting is in my limited knowledge not specific to the 4G but the the new HBOOT that is in the OTA and newer devices. As with the original root capability to release though it could take awhile to put this together.

All that being said though the 4G is an amazing phone both stock and rooted, if you can get it for free I would jump at the deal.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:40 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: ip6
Carrier: tmobile

Riley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker347 View Post
For those of you running 2.3 with Sense 3.0, correct em if I am wrong but you were already rooted and flashed the ROM instead of taking the OTA update?

To the OP original question, I would not say that the 4G has been abandoned, the issue with rooting is in my limited knowledge not specific to the 4G but the the new HBOOT that is in the OTA and newer devices. As with the original root capability to release though it could take awhile to put this together.

All that being said though the 4G is an amazing phone both stock and rooted, if you can get it for free I would jump at the deal.
I have to agree with this. The Evo is most definitely viable. There will still be some development on this device. My Evo with Sense 2 (and even with sense 3 elements) runs flawless on several custom roms. Plus if root takes a while, running stock with various launchers(Lpro, ADW, Launcher 7) and icon packs is cool. I ran my Evo for 3 months with rooting and it was great. The hboot will get rooted at some point I hope as well. good luck.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:35 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: My EVO punches your IPHONES

mebo73 is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to mebo73

I was talking to someone last night and would get the EVO3d IF it cost me less than $100. Has to be SEVERELY less. Its more a gimmick than actual functionality! I for now will enjoy my EVO pimped out unless HTC can get the EVO+ away from Korea and get it here.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:39 PM
Master Kimosabi
Pocket PC: HTC s620<Touch Pro<Touch Pro2<Hero<EVO
Carrier: The 10 years ago Network

aman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mebo73 View Post
I was talking to someone last night and would get the EVO3d IF it cost me less than $100. Has to be SEVERELY less. Its more a gimmick than actual functionality! I for now will enjoy my EVO pimped out unless HTC can get the EVO+ away from Korea and get it here.
Go to radioshack and do a trade in. They take all EVO (can be rooted, has to work) and give you $100 credit towards your 3D purchase.

Again for me, I worked way to hard to get my upgrade back only to squander it away on that POS.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:25 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO/Inspire/TP2/Treo Pro
Carrier: Sprint/AT&T
Threadstarter

4wheelfurry is keeping up the good work4wheelfurry is keeping up the good work

Well I took the deal, one FREE evo 4g later and I'm a happy camper. Not one penny out of my pocket. It came with 2.2 as well so that is even better! Now Rooted, ROMed and Rolling!! No complaints here, one year old device is still pretty badass

Last edited by 4wheelfurry; 07-02-2011 at 12:54 PM. Reason: add root

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G