PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2011, 08:43 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

eagle2222222222 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Multiple Maps Files on phone

At 92% capacity on my Evo and trying to eliminate programs and files I do not need. I have four Maps files that have the same date, version number, and file size. Are all four of these files needed for Maps or are three of them duplicates?
Old 06-27-2011, 10:41 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 3 & Evo 5G

mikewest is keeping up the good workmikewest is keeping up the good workmikewest is keeping up the good work
Re: Multiple Maps Files on phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle2222222222 View Post
At 92% capacity on my Evo and trying to eliminate programs and files I do not need. I have four Maps files that have the same date, version number, and file size. Are all four of these files needed for Maps or are three of them duplicates?
What do you mean by "Maps files", I think you should be more specific. We need more information to determine that

Where are these files located? (on your phone, your SD card, in your Titanium Backup Folder, in your dropbox folder, etc....

Are they "files" as you state, or are they Apps? ( .apks?)

As far as capacity goes, I recommend using Titanium Backup to kill stuff you don't use or want. (I kill Nascar, Telenav, football, magic wallpapers, peep, Stocks and a few others...)
Old 06-27-2011, 11:02 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Threadstarter

eagle2222222222 is a n00b

They are for Google Maps. They are located on the phone. When I go into my file manager there are four files under installed apps. I wonder if everytime the app updates if it leaves the old one on the phone.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:16 AM
Regular 'Geeker

mikewest is keeping up the good workmikewest is keeping up the good workmikewest is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle2222222222 View Post
They are for Google Maps. They are located on the phone. When I go into my file manager there are four files under installed apps. I wonder if everytime the app updates if it leaves the old one on the phone.
Although, you are not being specific, enough, it sounds like you are talking about a series of .PNG files that are left behind after you navigate somewhere. Those files are cached for your route, in case you lose signal during the trip and can not download the files at that time.

If it is what I am thinking it is, it should be a negligible amount of data. If it bothers you, I think you can clear it by going to HOME, press MENU, SETTINGS, APPLICATIONS, touch GOOGLE MAPS, then CLEAR DATA
Old 06-28-2011, 12:41 PM
Android Soldier
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S4
Carrier: The Can You Hear Me Now Network

KIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewest View Post
Although, you are not being specific, enough, it sounds like you are talking about a series of .PNG files that are left behind after you navigate somewhere. Those files are cached for your route, in case you lose signal during the trip and can not download the files at that time.

If it is what I am thinking it is, it should be a negligible amount of data. If it bothers you, I think you can clear it by going to HOME, press MENU, SETTINGS, APPLICATIONS, touch GOOGLE MAPS, then CLEAR DATA
That's not what he's talking about, under menu>settings>applications>manage applications>maps it will sometimes show more than one copy of the maps file, some roms show it and some don't, I was just on EvolvedRoms and it showed and I just switched over to Synergy Nightly and it doesn't show it so why it's like that I don't know, all I can say is if you want to try and delete those extra map files and then reboot the phone and then run either navigation or whatever you want that uses maps and make sure things run fine, worst that can happen is to have to factory reset/flash the rom again, but you can flash it over the rom now and shouldn't loose anything.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:21 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIOWA69 View Post
That's not what he's talking about, under menu>settings>applications>manage applications>maps it will sometimes show more than one copy of the maps file, some roms show it and some don't, I was just on EvolvedRoms and it showed and I just switched over to Synergy Nightly and it doesn't show it so why it's like that I don't know, all I can say is if you want to try and delete those extra map files and then reboot the phone and then run either navigation or whatever you want that uses maps and make sure things run fine, worst that can happen is to have to factory reset/flash the rom again, but you can flash it over the rom now and shouldn't loose anything.
Is it possible that somehow the rom maker included it as a SYSTEM app, and separately as a normal app? Would this make it show up twice?
Old 06-29-2011, 02:51 AM
Android Soldier
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S4
Carrier: The Can You Hear Me Now Network

KIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewest View Post
Is it possible that somehow the rom maker included it as a SYSTEM app, and separately as a normal app? Would this make it show up twice?
I don't know exactly, it's kind of weird, like I said when I was on EvolvedRoms his had the multiple map files but then I switched to Myns Nightly and it didn't have it, and both times I used Titanium backup to restore apps with data so I don't know why it's doing it on one and not the other. But even with restoring 50 files I still have space so I don't know what he's trying to restore but it must be a crap load of programs to be running out of space, he should probably partition his sd card and move what he can so he can save space on the internal.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G