PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2011, 04:44 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 3D
Carrier: Sprint

Mr.Gadget is just getting started
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Google Voice + Sprint integration

Quote:
Originally Posted by aman1127 View Post
I use it only for the transcribed vms. Is it possible to make international calls on free WiFi so I don't have to use international roaming?

Cooler than your EVO
I wonder. There is a special tab for Rates. Seems that most rates are 2 cents per minute for international. So, just the fact that they have rates posted makes me think the answer is no. But... it is cheaper to call via their rates than pay the rates the cell companies charge.
There is a feature if you click "Call" that allows you to enter a number and choose which of your phones to connect with. It says, "Google will call your phone and connect you."

Edit: Found this in my welcome email: "Other cool features include the ability to listen in on messages while they are being left and the ability to make low cost international calls."
Looks like, No is our answer to free international calls.

Last edited by Mr.Gadget; 05-05-2011 at 04:46 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:21 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Threadstarter

josh90265 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

@Mr.Gadget,

Thanks for the info! Had some more questions if you don't mind me askin...

1. How's the setup process?
- As far as linking your google account into sprint as well as options to disable/terminate GV service.

2. Does GV use Sprint minutes? Or does it make calls through the data service?
For example, could you make a phone call thru GV on, let's say, a tablet?
And do the minutes get recorded by Sprint? strictly on google? or both?

Thanks!
Old 05-05-2011, 05:27 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D

jj14x is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh90265 View Post
GV uses Sprint minutes (calls are not made using data)
Unless your call is mobile to mobile, the minutes will come out of your regular minutes (if your call is made during peak hours, it will reduce your anytime minutes etc)
Google doesn't charge you anything for this (well, besides your privacy! lol!), so in all, you don't gain any additional minutes by doing this.

Last edited by jj14x; 05-05-2011 at 05:30 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:30 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D

jj14x is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by aman1127 View Post
I use it only for the transcribed vms. Is it possible to make international calls on free WiFi so I don't have to use international roaming?

Cooler than your EVO
This doesn't let you make calls over wifi. Your calls are still made over the cellular (voice) network, so you will still be billed international roaming rates if you are not in the US.

If you are traveling outside the US and need to call a US tel#, you could try Skype (about $3 per month for unlimited calling to US - over wifi or 3G) - it is pretty clear too.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:33 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 3D
Carrier: Sprint SERO-P

draghn is keeping up the good workdraghn is keeping up the good work

Quote:
@Mr.Gadget,

Thanks for the info! Had some more questions if you don't mind me askin...

1. How's the setup process?
- As far as linking your google account into sprint as well as options to disable/terminate GV service.
The setup is really easy and quick. I already had Google Voice and my mobile, Sprint, number set up. To integrate them I just clicked on the link that showed up next to my mobile phone and tell it which option I wanted (to use my Sprint number as my Google Voice number, or to integrate my existing Google Voice number). I chose the latter option and it started working right away.

To get rid of it, or undo the integration, I just clicked the new link that was next to my mobile phone in Google Voice that said "disable integration" or some variation of that. The changes were tested a few minutes later and the two were separate again.

Reintegrating was just as easy as click the link to integrate again, of course.

Quote:
@Mr.Gadget,

Thanks!
It looks like calls made via Google Voice directly don't use my Sprint minutes. Though I've only had a few cases to look at myself.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:46 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 3D

DreadfullyDespized is just getting started
Send a message via ICQ to DreadfullyDespized Send a message via AIM to DreadfullyDespized Send a message via MSN to DreadfullyDespized Send a message via Yahoo to DreadfullyDespized

At first it was annoying that it would only send txts to google voice but there is in option in google voice called "notifications via test message" in the settings. Check that box and it will go to gosms/handcent and so on.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:35 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Mogul/Touch/Diamond/Touch Pro/Touch Pro 2/Hero/EVO

e.lamberson is keeping up the good worke.lamberson is keeping up the good work

I hope no one runs into the same issue as I, but at least this can be a heads up to anyone who may have a similar issue. After integrating my Sprint and GV I noticed I was unable to make outbound calls. I had originally thought it was a VoIP app I had previously used but later found out this was not the case. When I would place a call my dial pad timer would start and get to 0:06 and I would receive a busy signal each and every time. I could receive calls and text as well as use my data flawlessly, but no bueno on making calls. After contacting both the VoIP developer and GV I contacted Sprint to see if we could uncover the issue. While speaking to their tech support for 2 hours, I changed my phone number with no success, recovered my old number with still no success, and spent countless minutes listening to the horrific hold music as I waited for tech support to try and discover the issue. Only after being transferred to tier 2 tech support did she have the idea of removing the GV from my Sprint account, which note automatically applies a code onto your account. After many hard resets, thank God for nandroid, I was instructed to reset my phone after she removed GV from my Sprint account and everything worked perfectly.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:53 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 3D
Carrier: Sprint SERO-P

draghn is keeping up the good workdraghn is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.lamberson View Post
I hope no one runs into the same issue as I, but at least this can be a heads up to anyone who may have a similar issue. After integrating my Sprint and GV I noticed I was unable to make outbound calls. I had originally thought it was a VoIP app I had previously used but later found out this was not the case. When I would place a call my dial pad timer would start and get to 0:06 and I would receive a busy signal each and every time. I could receive calls and text as well as use my data flawlessly, but no bueno on making calls. After contacting both the VoIP developer and GV I contacted Sprint to see if we could uncover the issue. While speaking to their tech support for 2 hours, I changed my phone number with no success, recovered my old number with still no success, and spent countless minutes listening to the horrific hold music as I waited for tech support to try and discover the issue. Only after being transferred to tier 2 tech support did she have the idea of removing the GV from my Sprint account, which note automatically applies a code onto your account. After many hard resets, thank God for nandroid, I was instructed to reset my phone after she removed GV from my Sprint account and everything worked perfectly.
Ouch, that is unfortunate. My integration experience hasn't run into any issues... yet.

I'm curious about a couple of things:
Did you have Google Voice already?

Which option did you choose when you first integrated them (Option 1 - have your Sprint number become your Google Voice number, Option 2 - have your Google Voice number integrate with your Sprint account so calls/texts made from your Sprint phone show up as the Google Voice number you already had)?
Old 05-07-2011, 01:04 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Mogul/Touch/Diamond/Touch Pro/Touch Pro 2/Hero/EVO

e.lamberson is keeping up the good worke.lamberson is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by draghn View Post
Ouch, that is unfortunate. My integration experience hasn't run into any issues... yet.

I'm curious about a couple of things:
Did you have Google Voice already?

Which option did you choose when you first integrated them (Option 1 - have your Sprint number become your Google Voice number, Option 2 - have your Google Voice number integrate with your Sprint account so calls/texts made from your Sprint phone show up as the Google Voice number you already had)?
For your sake, and for anyone else, I truly hope no one else has this issue.

Yes, in fact I have had Google Voice for about 5 years now dating back to when it was GrandCentral with no issues.

I chose the first option. I replaced my GV number with my Sprint and everything seemed to work great at first but within a few hours I noticed an issue. It could have been an issue from the start however, I was completely unaware of it if that is the case.

The whole situation has made me quite hesitant about trying the process again even with knowing the solution.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:06 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: SPRINT, DONT LAUGH TOO HARD

kaoss_11 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkaoss_11 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkaoss_11 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkaoss_11 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I thought about integrating but then I thought what the hell is the point. I like having 2 separate lines on one phone.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G