PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Evo 4G (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   unrooting evo 4g unrevoked forever (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=141826)

mauijoe58 03-16-2011 10:25 PM

unrooting evo 4g unrevoked forever

I rooted my phone with the current version of unrevoked, I then applied the unrevoked forever. My phone is currently freezing up after boot and is unusable so I must unroot it. I applied the unrevoked son patch. and that went well but every time I try to apply the pc36img.zip file is older version, can anyone point me to the most current version of this file I need to take my phone back to sprint the last version I tried was EVO RESTORE 3.29.65.1.5. Help please I need a phone.:pale:

popasmurfn25 03-16-2011 11:05 PM

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/194918-rooting-dummies-extras.html
Quote:

Originally Posted by popasmurfn25 (Post 2063999)
hey i followed instructions on above link and made sure i turned my S-on i then get into bootloader but i cant launch recovery from bootloader menu(phone just turns off). However i am still able to boot my phone to the custom rom thats on there. And after i did that i hooked it up to my pc and just transfered my PC36IMG.zip to the root of my sd card. Then i used a program called quick boot and pushed the option into recovery mode(which was wierd how it let me into recovery mode from quickboot, but not from the bootloader menu).Anyways i tried "apply sdcard:update.zip"(after selecting that, its supposed to automatically find PC36IMG.zip and put me back onto stock rom but instead it says no such file exsits) and then i tried "choose zip from sd card"(after selecting that i point to PC36IMG.zip and then i get a message installation aborted). What the heck!!! So im on a custom rom still with my S-on, hmmm should i just rename PC36IMG.zip to update.zip and then try this again> "apply sdcard:update.zip"? You guys what should i do????????????

BTW backed up my nand, i downloaded the correct hboot and firmware that shipped with my phone. Its the instructions from that link that put me in this spot. I dont want to brick this phone so please dont take shots in the dark because I am a golable person. LOL

I think i should just
1)turn s-off again(where can i get a patch for that?)
2)flash to a shipped rom
3)then flash s-on again
4)then done

Yes, no , maybe so???

UPDATE: OMG!! I read some other threads. After putting the PC36IMG.zip file on my root sd i then need to go back into bootloader not recovery. but im watching it update and i see two lines so far that say no image or bad image... i hope it goes okay?

I used unrevoked as well and this is how i got back to stock without root successfully

Sent from my Permed to the Roots evo shift PG06100 using Tapatalk

Fredrick2011 03-17-2011 04:45 AM

Re: unrooting evo 4g unrevoked forever

Quote:

Originally Posted by mauijoe58 (Post 2069579)
I rooted my phone with the current version of unrevoked, I then applied the unrevoked forever. My phone is currently freezing up after boot and is unusable so I must unroot it. I applied the unrevoked son patch. and that went well but every time I try to apply the pc36img.zip file is older version, can anyone point me to the most current version of this file I need to take my phone back to sprint the last version I tried was EVO RESTORE 3.29.65.1.5. Help please I need a phone.:pale:

Shipped-roms.com is where you can get a factory stock copy of the software that came with your phone during that versions release.. warning this will erase everything on the phone except for what's on the sd card and return the phone back to factory un rooted condition however it may not return the hboot s on security function to re enable that use the un revoked s on utility prior to flashing the stock software please also note a pc will be required to flash the stock software.. I have rooted my phone and un rooted my phone 6 * as well is re enabled the security so I know this will guarantee work if done correctly

To guarantee no issues I recommend flashing the stock rom then once the phone is back online download rom manager free edition from the android market flash and boot the phone back into recovery from within rom manager then flash the s- on utility by selecting the option to apply update from sd card then select where the s-on utility is located on the card and flash it reboot the phone verify the s on function is indeed enabled by booting into the bootloader for verification once verified reboot the phone and reflash the stock rom once more once the stock rom completes for the second time there will be no way to tell that you ever rooted your phone to

rainfreak 03-17-2011 06:09 AM

Per the rules of the Development Forums, moved to the general EVO forum.

JohnBecker 03-18-2011 05:49 AM

I had to restore my phone to take it back to Sprint just the other day. Here's what I did.

Flashed unrevoked-forever-son.zip
Then ran the Official Sprint ROM update.

All went well as to be expected. My phone was still hosed and rebooted about 50 times, but Sprint exchanged it for me (for a $35 fee). I got a nice refurbished phone and it was back to my custom rom 20 minutes after I got home. Guess I'm getting good at this! :)

PS: Using the new one touch Unrevoked is much easier than it was the first time messing with the PC36 files in order to root your replacement phone. After only 20 minutes of using the Stock rom, I realized just how much was missing (or added in some cases). I did have an issue where it didn't want to continue, but after a PC reboot, it finished the Clockwork Recovery without a hitch. I'm back to normal again!