PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2010, 12:33 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch
Carrier: Sprint

jimmiekain is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjimmiekain is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjimmiekain is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjimmiekain is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjimmiekain is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to jimmiekain Send a message via MSN to jimmiekain Send a message via Yahoo to jimmiekain
Question Returned Rooted Evo to Best Buy????

Because of many many issues with my evo (mainly this one http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=124165 ) I am going to have to take it back to best buy and exchange it for a new one. I have rooted it and am running a custom rooted rom (still 2.1)... I have tried over and over again to flash the original shipped stock rom back onto the phone but keep getting error messages so I gave up. Can anyone tell me what is going to happen if I return my evo to best buy and they find out that its rooted?

What if they turn it on and see the super user icon? Will they even know what it is or what it means?

What if they dont notice that its been rooted but when they ship it back to HTC they see that its? Will they contact best buy and have them contact me and possibly charge me full price for the phone to my sprint bill?

Update

I just got home from best buy and as soon as I sat down the guy asked how he could help I told him I needed to exchange my evo and I explained why he said ok lets take a look. He immediately went to the menu saw the super user permission icon and said awww... so you rooted your phone? This changes a lot of things in the phone hold on... Left for a min came back someone else (i assume was a manager because he had a different color shirt on) they looked at it for a second the mngr whispered something to him and left. Then he asked me if I could un-root it because they cant send it back to sprint the way it is.

I took it back and left.

I was ultra pissed off because the best buy store was like 25 miles away from my house and as far as im concerned hes not a tech and has no business going through the phone. He should have just done the dang-on exchange. I tried to take a picture of him so i blast him on 4chan but the stupid camera forceclosed on me (probably a good thing... taking that picture probably would have got me in trouble anyway so I'm glad it didnt work now)

But I think it would have gone fine if I hadn't come up on a know it all.

If anyone is aware of extremely easy to follow instructions on how to unroot and return to stock please post a link.

Last edited by jimmiekain; 06-27-2010 at 05:44 PM. Reason: update
Old 06-27-2010, 12:36 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

Lukas718 is keeping up the good workLukas718 is keeping up the good work
Re: Returned Rooted Evo to Best Buy????

I dont think so - I returned my rooted 002 evo to radioshack even without mem card and they didnt even check it
Old 06-27-2010, 12:38 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Htc touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint pcs

s2000gtx is just getting started

i returned my evo 2 days ago and mine was rooted i didnt like unrooting it and they dont check you apps an ect and i been hackin my phones since the ppc6700 and all my phone have been hack and rooted and when i take them in to sprint for repairs or anything i never once flashed it back to stock i just bing it in as is and i NEVER EVER HAD issue some of the guys are even fasinated at how my phone are and they ask me and i be like i hack them im running a custom rom... only the a-hole one care and might flash u back to stock but for the like 5 or so year since i been doin this and i been through every windows phone and every sprint andriod phone i have never un-rooted or un-hack my phone i bring them in fully hacked and rooted
Old 06-27-2010, 12:44 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC TP, TP2, EVO 4G

Biofall is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiekain View Post
Because of many many issues with my evo (mainly this one http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=124165 ) I am going to have to take it back to best buy and exchange it for a new one. I have rooted it and am running a custom rooted rom (still 2.1)... I have tried over and over again to flash the original shipped stock rom back onto the phone but keep getting error messages so I gave up. Can anyone tell me what is going to happen if I return my evo to best buy and they find out that its rooted?

What if they turn it on and see the super user icon? Will they even know what it is or what it means?

What if they dont notice that its been rooted but when they ship it back to HTC they see that its? Will they contact best buy and have them contact me and possibly charge me full price for the phone to my sprint bill?
Rooting/Flashing Custom ROMs isn't illegal. And unless you get unlucky, they most likely will have no idea. It does void the warranty though, so some smart aleck might notice, but all they can do is tell you that. No dire consequences. I'd do like the guy under the OP did and take out my sd lol
The Kernel.... HTC Supersecret Supersonic 3.28.651.1 - unreleased OTA (thanks flipzmod!)
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:49 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch
Threadstarter

jimmiekain is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjimmiekain is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjimmiekain is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjimmiekain is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjimmiekain is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to jimmiekain Send a message via MSN to jimmiekain Send a message via Yahoo to jimmiekain

@s2000gtx Thanks
@lukas718 @biofall thanks to you guys too... but im not bold enough to try scoring a free memory card like that. LOL

wish me luck im going to church and then straight to best buy i will post the results when i get home.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:58 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Talking Re: Returned Rooted Evo to Best Buy????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas718 View Post
I dont think so - I returned my rooted 002 evo to radioshack even without mem card and they didnt even check it
LMAO i too never gave them back there memory card lol....
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiekain View Post
@s2000gtx Thanks
@lukas718 @biofall thanks to you guys too... but im not bold enough to try scoring a free memory card like that. LOL

wish me luck im going to church and then straight to best buy i will post the results when i get home.
and good luck but u should be fine but u never know
Old 06-27-2010, 02:12 PM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

they will never notice, your good. say thats how you got it if they do. lol
Old 06-27-2010, 03:02 PM
Shop smart, shop S-MART!!
Pocket PC: Evolte, Gnex

themuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2000gtx View Post
i returned my evo 2 days ago and mine was rooted i didnt like unrooting it and they dont check you apps an ect and i been hackin my phones since the ppc6700 and all my phone have been hack and rooted and when i take them in to sprint for repairs or anything i never once flashed it back to stock i just bing it in as is and i NEVER EVER HAD issue some of the guys are even fasinated at how my phone are and they ask me and i be like i hack them im running a custom rom... only the a-hole one care and might flash u back to stock but for the like 5 or so year since i been doin this and i been through every windows phone and every sprint andriod phone i have never un-rooted or un-hack my phone i bring them in fully hacked and rooted
Holy run-on sentence batman, LOL. Anyway like you said I have never went stock if I had to go into a sprint store. One time though they refused to service the phone because I had a aftermarket battery in my phone.

Old 06-27-2010, 04:06 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: EVO 4G

rjmjr69 knows their stuffrjmjr69 knows their stuffrjmjr69 knows their stuffrjmjr69 knows their stuffrjmjr69 knows their stuffrjmjr69 knows their stuffrjmjr69 knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2000gtx View Post

But this is EXACTLY HOW AND WHY they RELOCK and figure out our methods. Is it really that hard or too much to ask for people to return to stock before returning to the store. I guarantee you the people who return phones ROOTED are the first to BITCH about them being RELOCKED or having to PAY A DEV to figure out the NEW method... Wow pure lazyness
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 06-27-2010, 04:21 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmjr69 View Post
But this is EXACTLY HOW AND WHY they RELOCK and figure out our methods. Is it really that hard or too much to ask for people to return to stock before returning to the store. I guarantee you the people who return phones ROOTED are the first to BITCH about them being RELOCKED or having to PAY A DEV to figure out the NEW method... Wow pure lazyness
Although u make a really good point an u are right on something but honestly i donated an contribute a lot and although that has nothing to do with anything , the dev or any hacker out there that hacks phone an release the software to root or jailbreak a phone, dont u think that the big companys have access to those too... as soon as the 3.1.2 version of the iphone got jailbroke the next week or a week after 3.1.3 came out.. once something is release free on the internet its open to all and im sure big companys have like a special team or a person that finds site like these than report back to there boss. the same for the sprintusers site there so much SPRINT reps that knows about thats website now and moniter it. but out of all respect since im only 20 u are absolutely right i honestly have no excuse why i dont relock the phone just pure lazyness i guess

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Tags
best buy, exchange, refund, rooted