PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2011, 12:38 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Hero
Carrier: Sprint

fullgrown is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Unhappy HELP! used a generic charging cable...

today i bought a real cheap micro usb cable and tried to charge my phone with it. when i connected it, my evo rebooted by itself and the battery indicator would show that it's charging but the orange led is off. So i disconnected the cable from my evo, but all of a sudden the orange led came on and the battery indicator would still show that it's charging. so i did a recovery and used the nandroid back up and went back to the last recovery i did. when i did that the battery indicator would show the percentage of the battery left, but when i used my original micro usb cable that came with the phone, it won't charge!!!! can anyone help me? or am i screwed????
Old 01-14-2011, 01:16 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Evo3D

nasa1303 is becoming a great contributor
Re: HELP! used a generic charging cable...

try plugging it into the usb on your computer and see if the debug icon comes up and see if u can go into file explorer
Old 01-14-2011, 01:28 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

at first i tried if it would charge on the wall outlet then on the computer. but nothing. the debug icon is checked. but it won't show up on the notification or show up on the computer when i connect the phone to the computer. could it be that the usb is loose??
Old 01-14-2011, 02:36 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch

roz1 is just getting started

The charger circuits on cellphones are pretty robust (because manufacturers know that most people will buy the cheapest charger they can find). You'd have to be really unlucky to damage it. Usually when you buy a cheap charger it will have limited current sourcing ability which means it will just take longer to charge.

It's possible that the connector is damaged as you suggested. You would probably be able to tell by looking at it.

Obvious thing to try: Did you try removing the battery? I'm not familiar with the insides of the EVO but many chargers will maintain settings as long as the phone has power. Pulling out the battery might help reset the charging circuit. Sometimes there is a bunch of capacitance that needs to discharge, so leave it out for at least 30 seconds.

Good luck.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:55 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

nope. no good. took out the battery and left it out for at least 5 minutes. but no go. i guess i have to leave it out all night tonight and see if it'll charge in the morning. if not, i'll have to take it to the sprint store and see if i can get a replacement. dang it...
Old 01-14-2011, 09:02 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch

jimmiekain is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjimmiekain is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjimmiekain is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjimmiekain is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjimmiekain is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to jimmiekain Send a message via MSN to jimmiekain Send a message via Yahoo to jimmiekain

Hmmm sounds more like a power surge to me. Either way, I'd take the phone to my local sprint store (one that does repairs) they will most likely exchange it out for you on the spot.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:13 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVo

subprime is keeping up the good worksubprime is keeping up the good work

I had a bad experience using a cheap charger I bought off amazon but my issue was alot more clear. After about 15 minutes of charging I noticed the led was blinking. When I picked up the phone the thing was really hot, so hot I could barely touch the kickstand. When I unplugged the charger from the wall, same deal....really hot. I don't know exactly what it did but it apparently fried something because the phone would no longer charge. Don't know if it was the phone or the battery that fried because when I tried to charge it the battery would get hot.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:40 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

ok. for some reason, it's charging. but the question is, the orange LED is always on, and the battery indicator on the notification bar is always charging even though it's not connected. anything i can do to eliminate that?
i'm rooted and i'm on ROM calkulin.

Last edited by fullgrown; 01-14-2011 at 10:54 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:41 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

quickrahn is just getting started

I had a simular problem using my gf's charging cable (LG mytouch 2). Being a newbie and figuring a micro usb is a micro usb, I thought my evo would charge fine, and it did. But when I got home and plugged it in to my evo charger it ran hot and would not charge. I took it into Sprint (not telling them why it was getting hot and not charging) and they replaced it for nothing, hence, I'm on evo no. 2.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:54 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy S3

lkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullgrown View Post
ok. for some reason, it's charging. but the question is, the orange LED is always on, and the battery indicator on the notification bar is always charging even though it's not connected. anything i can do to eliminate that?
i'm rooted and i'm on ROM caulkin
Download and install Android System Info. Then monitor the votage and temperature of the battery. You will see that the phone may still be charging even while the indicator is green.
What it the mv of the battery?

Also, you are on a custom Rom. Does that ROM use a custom kernel? Is it overclocked? Is the kernel an SBC?

Since you are likely going tp Sprint, you may as well revert to stock and see what happens then.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G