PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2010, 03:14 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: PPC 6800
Carrier: SPRINT
Threadstarter

shorty82 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Sd card applications are missing... Plz help

All the apps are in the drawer before I reboot, but they are gone after. I used app2sd applications to move the apps and I'm not using the hack. I don't know why this started to happen, I was fine for months and then all of a sudden everything was gone. Now a fresh reformat of my card, fresh rom install, and starting from scratch always ends with the same problem. This makes my android useless, so I hope someone know the cause or a solution so that I can get this working again. According to one of the above posts (I can't see the poster from the screen I am in) this is a problem that many people have experienced on several different ROMS, it's like the .android_secure folder is corrupted or something but it can still be manipulated on windows with no problems... I can't install or un-install anything once the problem starts unless I remove the SD card. It's like the problem on the SD card is so bad, it causes other problems on the system unless it is removed. UGH.. My card has all my project management and school work apps on it because it won't fit on my phone's hard drive, I'm screwed tomorrow (I have work and school in the evening) if I can't figure this out.

As suggested earlier, I re-flashed the rom and still had the same problem. Maybe I will try flashing a different ROM, that sucks because I like the Virus ROM but anything is better than what I have right now.

Also, does anyone know how to reformat an SD card that was partitioned for the app2sd hack? Even though I'm not using the hack on my ROM, I did partition this card a while back so that I could use it for a app2sd hacked ROM, now I can only re-format the fat32 partition but I would like to reformat the entire card to see if that is a possible cause of my problem....
Old 11-28-2010, 06:09 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO...nothin but the BEST!
Carrier: Sprint

TREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Dumb question but.....

Are you looking for your apps with your phone connected to your computer and disk drive selected? They wont show in the app drawer if you are.

Old 11-28-2010, 07:18 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Hero mit lmgtfy

willy900wonka is a n00b

If you are rooted, you can install an ext3 partition on your sdcard. I had a situation like yours. I moved my apps to the phone. Reformatted the sdcard to include an ext3 partition. I then activated the darktremor a2sd through terminal. Darktremor a2sd creates one partition. Your method currently creates one pseudo partition per application moved to the sdcard. They are pseudo cause the symlinks look like a partition but the "storages" are inside a file, not a separate area in the sdcard. Fresh 2.4.01 has Darktremor included. You can add it just search for it, if it is not included in your rom.
Apps2sd (not a2sd) is a haphazard implementation with no data stored in the sdcard which would allow the recreation of the symlinks.

Last edited by willy900wonka; 11-28-2010 at 07:27 PM.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:27 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

TheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I have 345 apps on my phone, no problem with that number of apps. Also, always have the phone format the card, not a computer
Old 11-29-2010, 07:40 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: PPC 6800
Carrier: SPRINT
Threadstarter

shorty82 is just getting started

Everyone, thank you for all your help. I still don't know what causes the problem because it's a fairly common problem but I can't seem to find a solution.

I ended up changing my ROM and the problem has gone away for the most part, my programs are missing when I first start my phone up but after about 5 min they show back up... WTF?? It still isn't correct but it is working well enough for me to access my apps for school and work until a real solution is found.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:23 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: EVO 4G

cruise350 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcruise350 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcruise350 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcruise350 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcruise350 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorty82 View Post
Everyone, thank you for all your help. I still don't know what causes the problem because it's a fairly common problem but I can't seem to find a solution.

I ended up changing my ROM and the problem has gone away for the most part, my programs are missing when I first start my phone up but after about 5 min they show back up... WTF?? It still isn't correct but it is working well enough for me to access my apps for school and work until a real solution is found.
That is exactly whats suppose to happen, when you move apps to the sd card they won't show up right away after a reboot. After the phone boots, it goes through a routine, its loads required services into memory, it finds phone service, it recognizes location, it loads any start up and system apps, syncs with google and widgets, then it mounts the sdcard and reads any apps and programs on it and loads them in to the app draw. The slower your sdcard the longer it takes. The more crap you have on your phone the longer it takes. I think earlier you posted something like 345 apps installed. That shit is going to take a while for the phone to locate and add to the drawer.

Why are you rebooting all the time. The only time I reboot is when I'm going to load a new rom or flash an upgrade in recovery. This is normal behavior for apps on the sd card and the more apps you have on the sdcard the longer it will take to sync them all to the drawer. Have some patience, sit back, and enjoy a kick ass phone.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:11 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Htc evo

Andrewsaid is a n00b

I have the same issue. It has happened before with my other evo this one replaced. Is there a solution yet? I don't want any hacks or root my phone because of the insurance.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Tags
missing, sd, sd card, virus