PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2010, 07:59 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo
Carrier: Sprint

brownmc7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbrownmc7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbrownmc7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Anybody try formating sd card trick? Results?

***All Credit goes to sh4o8kid over at android.

For people who's battery go from 100% to 90% in a matter of minutes

*IMPORTANT*

The results of this have been mostly positive. Although we aren't having problems now, we may run into a few bumps later on as this solution is very premature at the moment. Please do not put your hopes and dreams on this solution just yet until we have more time to play with it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may have found a solution and you'll only need to do this one time (hopefully)

For most of who got the EVO's a bit later, we had the update that fixed the SD card issue. All was great so most of us most likely did not do a format on the micro sd card. I tried to make my battery last longer by doing all these tips and tricks and the one that helped most was the turning off and charging it over n over again. It's a pain doing that so i figured what else haven't we tried?

I charged my phone to 100% and decided to take the micro sd card out and just play with the phone. I noticed that my battery didnt drop 10-15% in a matter of minutes so i thought that was weird. I decided to format the micro SD card (the slow way) and now i notice that when I'm at like 90% and i start charging, it takes a lot longer to charge up to 100% . When i take off the charger, my battery doesn't drop anymore. Can anybody confirm this?

Format was 32kb, and unchecked "quick format'.

Formatting on a Computer
Step 1
Insert the tiny micro SD card into slot located at the bottom of the the larger SD card adapter. Insert the combination into a USB card reader or your computer's onboard card slots--if available.

Step 2
Open the "My Computer" menu and then insert the card reader into a USB port on your computer. Note the drive assignment your computer gives the reader when inserted (ex F:Card Read ).

Step 3
Right-click on the drive your card is inserted into and choose the "Format" option from the menu that appears. Click the "Start" button at the bottom of the "Format" menu.

Taken from:
How to Format a Sandisk Micro SD Card | eHow.com

edit: Ive been charging my evo when it hit 90%, it's been 25 minutes and its at 98% and still charging.

edit2: It's been 15 minutes since i hit 100% and i'm still at 100% battery life. with moderate usage.

edit3: it's been 37 minutes and i'm still at 100%

edit4: it's been 42 minutes, 100%.

edit 5: 43 minutes, 99% battery, 37% android system, 20% standby, etc etc. Not bad for using the phone for so long such as messaging and e-mails.

edit 6: Right now i'm at 83% battery life at 8H 35M

What i did so far since 99%:
4-5 Text messages
25 Minutes of Youtube video on my own wifi
1 Minute of checking forums
Check both my email accounts (I cycle through this only once a day)
Took 6 camera pictures with no flash

edit 7: I charged it back to 100% (It took some time to charge from 90% to 100%). The reason why i'm charging back to 100% is because this format fix is to only address the 10-15% loss of battery life. So here i am, i'm at 100%, no rebooting or anything of that matter. The 100% still sticks and is running smoothly! I for one will shout out to the world that the format of the sd card fixed my 10-15% loss of battery life issue.

edit 8: Some people have reported that it works, some reported that it doesn't. Try if you have nothing to lose. Note that a lot of people are still testing this and problems can arise later on in the future. In the meantime, the ones that got this to work haven't ran into any problems just yet. We'll see how this works out as it plays out in the next couple days.

Also, i wanted to thanks for all the feedback.

original link.. http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/...r-minutes.html
This post has been thanked 5 times.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:47 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

kkryter is a n00b
Re: Anybody try formating sd card trick? Results?

Interesting! I'm going to have to read some more on this and will look forward to others experiences with it as well. I don't have a huge battery problem but more is always better! This reminds me of something I've been meaning to ask, if anybody knows the answer, enlightenment would be appreciated. I've got a class 4, 8 GB card from my old TP, would doing this trick result in any noticeable speed increases over the class 2 that was included with the EVO in addition to the possible battery life win? If so is there any worry about loosing anything that might be on my current EVO card, will I need to copy it's contents over to my fresh one? I haven't explicitly saved anything there to my knowledge.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:21 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

neuteboomt is becoming a PPCGeeks regularneuteboomt is becoming a PPCGeeks regularneuteboomt is becoming a PPCGeeks regularneuteboomt is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I just did and so far it looks to have done the trick. Now my phone will sleep when not in use. below is a link to the thread explaining my issue and what file on the SD card that seemed to be the problem.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=125010

It makes sense becuase everything you download or applications you use saves everything to the SD card and not the phones internal memory. So that would be why a hardrest would not fix the problem (when the problem is on the SD card).

Last edited by neuteboomt; 06-17-2010 at 10:25 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:42 PM
Just call me Dr. Doctor
Pocket PC: Nexus 6
Carrier: Bitch ass, big red

mlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Will try this now and report back with results.

Edit: did the reformat trick last night and then placed on the charger all night. When I removed my phone from the charger this morning, it quickly dropped to 96% (it usually dropped immediately to ~90-92%). I listened to music on my phone on the way to work (about 30 minutes) and when I arrived it was at 94%. My phone is definitely hanging in the 90's a bit longer. I am going to try the on/off charging trick and see if I can hover in the high-90s a bit longer.

I don't really have many battery complaints as I can easily make it through an entire day, though more is always better.

Last edited by mlin; 06-18-2010 at 02:56 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:57 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: ip6
Carrier: tmobile

Riley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

so I assume you just drag all of the contents from the sd card on your desktop first, then format, and drag them back on? Been a long time since I formatted one. lol.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:03 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC ONE
Carrier: Ting

Mystery is a trusted member of the communityMystery is a trusted member of the communityMystery is a trusted member of the communityMystery is a trusted member of the communityMystery is a trusted member of the communityMystery is a trusted member of the communityMystery is a trusted member of the communityMystery is a trusted member of the communityMystery is a trusted member of the communityMystery is a trusted member of the communityMystery is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by rileyd5 View Post
so I assume you just drag all of the contents from the sd card on your desktop first, then format, and drag them back on? Been a long time since I formatted one. lol.
haha yeah that is what I did. I noticed better battery life as well.

Not sure what is causing it though since I did flash to the new fresh rom today and did this trick, but one if not both of these things are helping my battery life, that's for sure. And I also have all the other battery tweaks like OC Widget and the cdma thing.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:13 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: ip6
Carrier: tmobile

Riley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
haha yeah that is what I did. I noticed better battery life as well.

Not sure what is causing it though since I did flash to the new fresh rom today and did this trick, but one if not both of these things are helping my battery life, that's for sure. And I also have all the other battery tweaks like OC Widget and the cdma thing.
Thanks man, great to see you over here!
Old 06-17-2010, 11:59 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

neuteboomt is becoming a PPCGeeks regularneuteboomt is becoming a PPCGeeks regularneuteboomt is becoming a PPCGeeks regularneuteboomt is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkryter View Post
Interesting! I'm going to have to read some more on this and will look forward to others experiences with it as well. I don't have a huge battery problem but more is always better! This reminds me of something I've been meaning to ask, if anybody knows the answer, enlightenment would be appreciated. I've got a class 4, 8 GB card from my old TP, would doing this trick result in any noticeable speed increases over the class 2 that was included with the EVO in addition to the possible battery life win? If so is there any worry about loosing anything that might be on my current EVO card, will I need to copy it's contents over to my fresh one? I haven't explicitly saved anything there to my knowledge.
If I am not mistaken the class change would give you faster read write to the card but that would be it. The only thing you would need to save on the current card out of the EVO would be date you saved (pics or downloads) and the HTC sync software if you see your self using it.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:08 AM
Just call me Dr. Doctor
Pocket PC: Nexus 6
Carrier: Bitch ass, big red

mlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Wow, slow format takes forever....
Old 06-18-2010, 01:07 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint

racerx123 is a n00b

ummm. what if i dont have a SD card reader? Can i format through the phone?

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Tags
battery, evo, htc, tips, tricks