PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2010, 08:22 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: EVO
Carrier: Sprint

ace27 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Texting an Email Address Issue

So my Girlfriend is living in japan for now and she gave me the handy email address that is linked to her phone(blahblah@i.softbank.jp) so i can text her without getting hit with international rates... but the problem is, when i text her from my phone in handcent and the stock messaging app it sends as a MMS... which is annoying because when she replies it sends a lot of sprint mumbo jumbo with it instead of just the text she sent. is there a way to stop the phone from automatically changing my text into a MMS when sending a text to an Email Address??

all help is appreciated..
Old 08-15-2010, 08:53 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

TheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: Texting an Email Address Issue

Why not just use email?
Old 08-15-2010, 09:23 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

ace27 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBundo View Post
Why not just use email?
because it would not be as immediate as a text and refreshing my gmail ever minute is time consuming and battery consuming also
Old 08-16-2010, 12:18 AM
truth mirror
Pocket PC: N Deuce

w7excursion knows their stuffw7excursion knows their stuffw7excursion knows their stuffw7excursion knows their stuffw7excursion knows their stuffw7excursion knows their stuffw7excursion knows their stuffw7excursion knows their stuff

Don't think there is a way to change it because you're texting an email address. What about using IM?
Old 08-16-2010, 02:16 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G Touch

ChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuff

E-mail is just as fast as txting...other than the fact you have to check it ever so often. Do what w7 said, get a IM client like MSN Talk or whatnot and chat with her that way. Neither of you will accur international charges that way...and it will be instantanious...
Old 08-16-2010, 02:17 AM
VIP Member

TheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace27 View Post
because it would not be as immediate as a text and refreshing my gmail ever minute is time consuming and battery consuming also
The gmail thing notifies me quickly. It's as fast as on the PC. It has nothing to do with how often you have google mail refresh
Old 08-16-2010, 04:00 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

ace27 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBundo View Post
The gmail thing notifies me quickly. It's as fast as on the PC. It has nothing to do with how often you have google mail refresh
huh?? how do you have the gmail app instantaneously notify you other than putting it to check for emails every 5 minutes?

and also "im" programs tend to suck up more battery power... am i correct on that statement?
Old 08-16-2010, 11:00 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
huh?? how do you have the gmail app instantaneously notify you other than putting it to check for emails every 5 minutes?

and also "im" programs tend to suck up more battery power... am i correct on that statement?
I don't know how out why the gmail app works that way, but if my phone is asleep, I still get instant notification, and the battery will last over 24 hours. I have the regular email program check every 15 minutes, and that notification comes in up to 15 minutes later, depending on where out was in the cycle when the email came in. I don't think the gmail app has a setting about how often to check. Perhaps google sends a text message to your phone that gmail intercepts, triggering the grabbing of the email. Smart Phone Tracker in WM used a similar process.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:03 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

ulysses is keeping up the good workulysses is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to ulysses

Quote:
So my Girlfriend is living in japan for now and she gave me the handy email address that is linked to her phone(blahblah@i.softbank.jp) so i can text her without getting hit with international rates... but the problem is, when i text her from my phone in handcent and the stock messaging app it sends as a MMS... which is annoying because when she replies it sends a lot of sprint mumbo jumbo with it instead of just the text she sent. is there a way to stop the phone from automatically changing my text into a MMS when sending a text to an Email Address??

all help is appreciated..

it should work if you use the stock messaging app.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Tags
email, message, mms, text, txt