PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2010, 09:02 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: boost mobile

ricomilion is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Evo 4g on Boost Mobile MMS problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddymikey1975 View Post
It's not possible LEGALLY.

There is nothing to "unlock".. It's a CDMA device unlike the GSM counterparts. The MEID is in the provider's library and thus allows them to use or not use it. This phone is not 'locked' to any provider. That's why it's possible to take one w/ a bad ESN and activate it on Cricket or MetroPCS.

Further, there is no "flashing to boost".. boost doesn't use proprietary software that would be available or compatible with the EVO so there is yet another misleading statement. Sprint phones (that are allowed on boost) just work on boost without any flashing or 'unlocking'. If the OP purchased this device this way or paid someone to do something to this device in order to make it happen, my bet is the seller did something illegal. For the record, I'd check the MEID on the sticker inside the phone, compare it to the MEID on the box AND compare it to the MEID that's coded in the software on the device. I'd bet $100 they don't ALL match.

Further, when you attempt to enter the EVO's MEID into the Boost system it returns an error "incompatible plan type" and the system allows the CSR to go no further. This happens whether you attempt to use Boost's Customer service or attempt to go through Sprint's "Back door"..

The OP must have gotten something done to the phone that's illegal for this to happen.

Please see this thread for reference. I am a moderator over there and I can tell you I delete at least 2 threads a week where people are claiming that they were able to get the EVO on Boost. It's not possible (legally).. absolutely not possible in any way, shape, or form.

IF you'd like your own proof, there are a TON of EVO's on flea-bay for sale. Get the MEID of any (or all) of them and attempt to get them migrated in, swapped in, or whatever approach you'd like to use.

I'll put my first born on the fact that it will not happen. Sprint does not allow it's MVNO's to use the MEID/ESN's from it's "exclusive" devices (Palm pre/pixe, hero, EVO, etc) ..

I hope this helps

--DM1975
Wen you buy a phone, it is your propriaty, you can do what ever you want with it and use the provider you want.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:54 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: EPIC 4G
Carrier: sprint

m4zt3r is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricomilion View Post
Wen you buy a phone, it is your propriaty, you can do what ever you want with it and use the provider you want.
Here is the LAW on the issue:

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/us...9----000-.html

Title 18 Part 1 Chapter 47 Section 1029 states:

Quote:

(a) Whoever—

(1) knowingly and with intent to defraud produces, uses, or traffics in one or more counterfeit access devices;

(2) knowingly and with intent to defraud traffics in or uses one or more unauthorized access devices during any one-year period, and by such conduct obtains anything of value aggregating $1,000 or more during that period;

(3) knowingly and with intent to defraud possesses fifteen or more devices which are counterfeit or unauthorized access devices;

(4) knowingly, and with intent to defraud, produces, traffics in, has control or custody of, or possesses device-making equipment;

(5) knowingly and with intent to defraud effects transactions, with 1 or more access devices issued to another person or persons, to receive payment or any other thing of value during any 1-year period the aggregate value of which is equal to or greater than $1,000;

(6) without the authorization of the issuer of the access device, knowingly and with intent to defraud solicits a person for the purpose of—
(A) offering an access device; or
(B) selling information regarding or an application to obtain an access device;

(7) knowingly and with intent to defraud uses, produces, traffics in, has control or custody of, or possesses a telecommunications instrument that has been modified or altered to obtain unauthorized use of telecommunications services;

( knowingly and with intent to defraud uses, produces, traffics in, has control or custody of, or possesses a scanning receiver;

(9) knowingly uses, produces, traffics in, has control or custody of, or possesses hardware or software, knowing it has been configured to insert or modify telecommunication identifying information associated with or contained in a telecommunications instrument so that such instrument may be used to obtain telecommunications service without authorization; or

(10) without the authorization of the credit card system member or its agent, knowingly and with intent to defraud causes or arranges for another person to present to the member or its agent, for payment, 1 or more evidences or records of transactions made by an access device;
I would submit that activating the EVO on boost is "unauthorized" use because Sprint and Boost say so...

Obviously this is the debate on the legality of cloning, which most will call illegal.

This thread will be locked soon I bet....

Last edited by m4zt3r; 07-18-2010 at 02:56 AM.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:37 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint postpaid

daddymikey1975 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardaddymikey1975 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardaddymikey1975 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardaddymikey1975 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardaddymikey1975 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricomilion View Post
While I don't disagree with your claim, if you were to read most of the paperwork that comes with a device, there are (sometimes) stipulations that reverse engineering or altering the software that's on the device is illegal since you do not own the software, merely, you're granted a license to use it and therefore you have no legal authority to alter the software. (not to start another debate, just pointing out the obvious again).. This is why George Hot was in so much hot water after jailbreaking the iPhone.

I suggest you read up on the laws and legal aspects of modding your device. IMO modding our devices (software) consists of flashing new ROMs etc.. this is not intended to defraud one carrier (boost) while appearing on their system as being a device that it's not. That clearly is against the law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4zt3r View Post
Here is the LAW on the issue:

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/us...9----000-.html

Title 18 Part 1 Chapter 47 Section 1029 states:

I would submit that activating the EVO on boost is "unauthorized" use because Sprint and Boost say so...

Obviously this is the debate on the legality of cloning, which most will call illegal.

This thread will be locked soon I bet....
Personally, I don't much care for the debate aspect. MY intention was to bust out the OP and point out that there's no legal way to activate the EVO on Boost. I offered a specific reference for proof. Same goes for the Moment. It's a Sprint exclusive phone and not compatible (per their system) on Boost. Sure you could probably hack up the soon to be released iPhone CDMA for VZW and get it to work on Boost, but that alone would not make a person worthy of respect IMO.

I'm just pointing out facts that should be obvious to some and not so obvious to others.

@ m4zt3r... Thanks for sharing that tidbit of info. It further validates my assertion.

As a side note, I'm not going to contribute to the discussion any further. I certainly don't want the mods to have to issue warnings/bans for an illegal discussion. I just wanted to point out that there's no legal way the OP could have put the EVO on boost.

Last edited by daddymikey1975; 07-18-2010 at 08:41 AM.
Old 07-18-2010, 03:56 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Evo
Carrier: Boost :)
Threadstarter

Mentis Imperium is a n00b

Ok, first and foremost thank you to everyone who has actually helped me resolve the issue. The reason i posted the problem was in hopes of getting some actual contribution and this forum has indeed helped. To everyone else who had an issue, I'm sorry. I purchased my phone this way from someone on craigslist. I guess i was taken or whatever you may think but i am happy with my phone and i am happy paying my $50 monthly fee for the same services anyone else on boost receives. I was unaware that anything that was done to my phone was illegal, but i did nothing except buy a phone from craigslist. after getting my phone and playing with it, rooting it, and changing some roms i ended up losing MMS and here we stand.

For the record, changing the MMS server in the ##3282# screen did the trick

I used Http://mm.myboostmobile.com

Thanks again for all the cool people on this forum for helping me out.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:58 PM
Lurker

ricomilion is a n00b

thanks for share your solution, i will check (MY HTC EVO,,bought it brand new with out any contract) soon as i get it working with (MY BOOST SERVICE)
Old 07-19-2010, 10:41 AM
OMJ
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC 10!!!!!
Carrier: Sprint

OMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentis Imperium View Post
Ok, first and foremost thank you to everyone who has actually helped me resolve the issue. The reason i posted the problem was in hopes of getting some actual contribution and this forum has indeed helped. To everyone else who had an issue, I'm sorry. I purchased my phone this way from someone on craigslist. I guess i was taken or whatever you may think but i am happy with my phone and i am happy paying my $50 monthly fee for the same services anyone else on boost receives. I was unaware that anything that was done to my phone was illegal, but i did nothing except buy a phone from craigslist. after getting my phone and playing with it, rooting it, and changing some roms i ended up losing MMS and here we stand.

For the record, changing the MMS server in the ##3282# screen did the trick

I used Http://mm.myboostmobile.com

Thanks again for all the cool people on this forum for helping me out.
cool, glad ya got it working!
Old 08-08-2010, 11:36 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint/Boost

GeneStarWindGSW is a n00b

I'm glad im not the only one grabbing the EVO and putting it on boost. so far i've had the HTC Touch Pro and now currently have a Treo Pro on boost. Once i can afford the EVO, i'll be switching that over as well. props to ya
Old 09-04-2010, 09:09 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Palm Treo 800w

dustindavidson900 is a n00b

I would just like to state that i am going to be putting my evo on boost... And just for the record congress just passed a law stating that cell phone owners are LEGALLY allowed to put their phone on any service they want (Jailbreaking is no longer illegal)... And whoever said: ("stipulations that reverse engineering or altering the software that's on the device is illegal since you do not own the software") Im sorry but you are wrong in this case... Android is OPEN SOURCE so you can change the software at will...
Old 09-04-2010, 10:47 AM
Officer Android
Pocket PC: HTC Hero, T-Mobile G1, Diamond, HTC Evo

bradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to bradart Send a message via MSN to bradart Send a message via Skype™ to bradart
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustindavidson900 View Post
I would just like to state that i am going to be putting my evo on boost... And just for the record congress just passed a law stating that cell phone owners are LEGALLY allowed to put their phone on any service they want (Jailbreaking is no longer illegal)... And whoever said: ("stipulations that reverse engineering or altering the software that's on the device is illegal since you do not own the software") Im sorry but you are wrong in this case... Android is OPEN SOURCE so you can change the software at will...
I'm just go to say that I totally support moving your phone to boost and am happy that it can be done but, honestly, there is almost no correct information in that post.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Sponsored by Kools.
Old 09-04-2010, 03:33 PM
Lurker

ricomilion is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradart View Post
I'm just go to say that I totally support moving your phone to boost and am happy that it can be done but, honestly, there is almost no correct information in that post.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Me to, i totally suport evo on boost.
I have mine on boost and did nothing illegal, i bought the phone (did not stole it) change some settings, (did not messed with phone software i use legally android froyo) and pay my bill every month to boost mobile (did not hacked somebody else's account).
Where is the illegality on that?
You can buy the phone without the contract, so you can use the service you want.
F*** those who Keep posting law forms without understanding what they mean.
Sprint guys are just jealous cause cant beat boost mobile plan prices.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G