PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2010, 08:34 PM
sike770

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Need help rooting my EVO please!

I need help trien to figure out how to root my new EVO I just got yesterday I downloaded all programs I needed PC36IMG.zip eng-PC36IMG.zip Full Root files.zip evo-recovery and OMJ_EVO_2.1_Eclair_v1.5 custom rom. I am running a 32 bit windows 7 on my pc and have software version 1.32.651.1 on my EVO

I copied the file PC36IMG.zip and eng-PC36IMG.zip to the storage card and didn't unzip it or put it in a folder.

Then I took the "Full Root Files.zip" and unzip all 3 files to the storage card. and didn't put them in a folder.

Then I power-off the phone

Then while holding "Volume DOWN", I pushed the "Power" button so the phone turn back on.
It read the storage card reading the PC36IMG.zip file I placed on the card.

Then the phone prompted Do you want to start update?" I said yes

When it was done it said "Update Complete. Do you want to reboot device?" I said yes

It took a while to start up the first time, then I skip all the account setups and whatever else just to get to the Home screen so I can get to the next step. I reconnected the EVO to the PC and select "disk drive"

I then renamed the file "PC36IMG.zip" "root-PC36IMG.zip" and then rename "eng-PC36IMG.zip" "PC36IMG.zip"

I disconnected the EVO from the USB,then reconnected the EVO but this time selected "Charge Only" and made sure USB Debugging was turned on

Then I opened a "run" window and in the command line typed c:\evo-recovery\adb-windows shell then hit "OK" a command promp flashed real quick then disappeared before I could even read it no window ever opened up like it says it would I even opend command promp up manualy and tried typing in the code it keeps tellin me error device not found

Is there another program I need installed on my computer I have good knowledge of computers and have no problem reading or following directions but Im a noob when it comes to Android I felt I done all i could I even read every forum possible but still couldnt figure it out any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:45 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC One M8
Carrier: Verizon

Karl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via MSN to Karl Send a message via Yahoo to Karl Send a message via Skype™ to Karl
Re: Need help rooting my EVO please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike770 View Post
I need help trien to figure out how to root my new EVO I just got yesterday I downloaded all programs I needed PC36IMG.zip eng-PC36IMG.zip Full Root files.zip evo-recovery and OMJ_EVO_2.1_Eclair_v1.5 custom rom. I am running a 32 bit windows 7 on my pc and have software version 1.32.651.1 on my EVO

I copied the file PC36IMG.zip and eng-PC36IMG.zip to the storage card and didn't unzip it or put it in a folder.

Then I took the "Full Root Files.zip" and unzip all 3 files to the storage card. and didn't put them in a folder.

Then I power-off the phone

Then while holding "Volume DOWN", I pushed the "Power" button so the phone turn back on.
It read the storage card reading the PC36IMG.zip file I placed on the card.

Then the phone prompted Do you want to start update?" I said yes

When it was done it said "Update Complete. Do you want to reboot device?" I said yes

It took a while to start up the first time, then I skip all the account setups and whatever else just to get to the Home screen so I can get to the next step. I reconnected the EVO to the PC and select "disk drive"

I then renamed the file "PC36IMG.zip" "root-PC36IMG.zip" and then rename "eng-PC36IMG.zip" "PC36IMG.zip"

I disconnected the EVO from the USB,then reconnected the EVO but this time selected "Charge Only" and made sure USB Debugging was turned on

Then I opened a "run" window and in the command line typed c:\evo-recovery\adb-windows shell then hit "OK" a command promp flashed real quick then disappeared before I could even read it no window ever opened up like it says it would I even opend command promp up manualy and tried typing in the code it keeps tellin me error device not found

Is there another program I need installed on my computer I have good knowledge of computers and have no problem reading or following directions but Im a noob when it comes to Android I felt I done all i could I even read every forum possible but still couldnt figure it out any help would be appreciated.
did try it on sync mode ?
you can use this it will do it all for you http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=706411

or use this write up
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=721055

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."

Last edited by Karl; 07-11-2010 at 08:50 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:06 PM
sike770

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Re: Need help rooting my EVO please!

Hey karle I seen the simple root on xda but wasnt sure if I wanted to use it wasnt sure if it would give me full-root access or not and on the other link EVO Full Root|OTA Root|Nand Backup/Restore|Flashing|for n00b's thats the one I was trien to follow seem like a good bullet proof solid way to root but cant seem to even get through the second part Ill look into the simple root a little further may even try that,thank you for your help

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G