PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2010, 03:49 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

peepeesea is keeping up the good workpeepeesea is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Will not stay connected via USB

it has nothing to do with being finshed charging... i am plugging in to a PC and wating for the connect to PC screen to pop up... it pops up for maybe a second then it goes away before i can make a selection and the phone is then disconnected.

if i plug directly in to the wall charger it charges with out issue.

i have tried different cable and different ports on now 3 different computers and they all have the same outcome

'function over fashion'
Old 07-08-2010, 03:56 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo Rooted Stock ROM

sanjsrik is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsanjsrik is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsanjsrik is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsanjsrik is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by peepeesea View Post
it has nothing to do with being finshed charging... i am plugging in to a PC and wating for the connect to PC screen to pop up... it pops up for maybe a second then it goes away before i can make a selection and the phone is then disconnected.

i have tried different cable and different ports on now 3 different computers and they all have the same outcome
It's a sync/charge cable. You can't ignore one and not get the other. IF you're plugging this into a USB port on the PC, you're also charging it. I saw this post a few weeks (months?) ago announcing a new type of cable that "looks" like a sync/charge cable but you can flip a switch on it and it will only act as a data cable or vice-versa only act as a charging cable.

Have you tried plugging it in to another PC? You sure the USB ports on the original PC aren't at fault?
Old 07-08-2010, 04:01 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjsrik View Post

Have you tried plugging it in to another PC? You sure the USB ports on the original PC aren't at fault?
Quote:

i have 3 USB cables and they all do the same thing. the cable that came with the Evo also does the same thing when plugged in to ANY pc
Old 07-08-2010, 04:10 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (sprint) on a recent NRG 6.5 ROM

cmatherly is a n00b

What is highlighted in the usb selection box that pops up for 2 seconds? Is the always use this action box checked?

Previous Devices: Apple Newton - palm zire72 - HP jornada 420 - HP jornada 680 - NEC MobilePro 780 - Palm T2 - Dell Axim x51v - Treo 800w - Treo Pro - HTC Rhodium 400 (Sprint Touch Pro 2)
Old 07-08-2010, 04:24 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmatherly View Post
What is highlighted in the usb selection box that pops up for 2 seconds? Is the always use this action box checked?
no...
Old 07-08-2010, 04:40 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (sprint) on a recent NRG 6.5 ROM

cmatherly is a n00b

If you've had the phone less than 30 days and everything is still stock, get a replacement.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:42 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo Rooted Stock ROM

sanjsrik is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsanjsrik is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsanjsrik is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsanjsrik is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
i have 3 USB cables and they all do the same thing. the cable that came with the Evo also does the same thing when plugged in to ANY pc
I went through 4 USB cables before realizing that NOT all USB cables are the same with the Evo. I had to go out and buy a iGo and a tip (A97) and then the phone was able to charge via the USB connection to a computer.

My suggestion, if these cables (three of which you say you've tried) are OEM cables that are cheap ones, ditch them, go out and get an HTC or Sprint-branded or iGo and try that instead.

You've spent this much time and effort on this, what is paying for another cable going to hurt?
Old 07-08-2010, 05:05 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

wouldn't the USB cable that came in the box be able to do data and power? Like i said, that one does the exact same thing as the 3 aftermarket cables i bought.

the phone is out of the 30day return policy. i really don't think its the phone per say. i think its either a driver issue or software setting some where.

i'm not the only person that has had this issue. the other people seem to find that it is completely random on which computers do and don't work. maybe it has something to do with BIOS/motherboard or USB controller settings or voltages..

i don't know, i am completely stumped

as a sorta win... i was able to get it to stay connected long enough to my laptop to root the phone! but it still has the issue after root. i just have to keep unplugging and replugging it in and every so often it works for a while

the weirdest part is when i plug in to my wall charger it charges just fine and doesn't have a problem.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:56 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG v10
Carrier: T-mobile

clockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on rep

This happens to me only using incompatible 3rd party cables. Works like a charm with yhe OEM that came in the box.

Since you said you are having this problem even with your OEM, do you happen to know anyone else with the phone to test your cables/PC to compare?

Perhaps take your notebook and cables to the local store and test out their demos, that way you can eliminate by trial and error..

EDIT: I don't think many if any others have this problem. I have a stock phone with the stock cable and all works fine. You've added another twist, it works with your charger just fine. That means that somewhere between your PC and Phone, most probably the Phone, is resetting the connection.

I am almost willing to say you may have fried your port using 3rd party and the phone is unable to detect the port connection type via usb correctly anymore..

Last edited by clockcycle; 07-09-2010 at 11:00 AM.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:36 AM
N00b

secondtwiggy is just getting started

Mine is doing this, but I have to move the USB cable around a lot to get it to charge. I am going to a Sprint store tomorrow to get it fixed.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G