PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2011, 05:10 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo
Carrier: Sprint

BlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Full HDMI Mirroring on the Evo

I take no credit for this. I found it and thought I would post it here so it could be tested and hopefully cooked into ROMs. All credit to the original posters. I have not tried it yet...

The files needed are attached to this post. But here is where I got it from:

Thread:
Evo HDMI out mirroring? - Android Forums

Post with kernel:
Evo HDMI out mirroring? - Page 15 - Android Forums

Post with mirroring file:
Evo HDMI out mirroring? - Page 58 - Android Forums

Full HDMI Beta discussion Android Forums

Quoted mirroring file post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by orrebmas View Post
All,
It is here finally, FullHDMI "limited time" public beta is attached in this post. This version is to mass test the app and get feedback before the next step.
I will be making an announcement later today about the beta and its purpose, but for now I am attaching it and going to get some sleep. You will need the Kernel posted several pages back on this thread to enable some features, and root. I just realized that non-root is broken as of this version.

Some of the things you need to know about before tinkering with the app, pasting quickly:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyw801 View Post
I have a possible suggestion for those of you that are having the screen going off the edges. I am not ashamed to admit that I was thinking I had the same problem, but I realized that I had a setting for the aspect ratio on the TV set to cut it off.

Most TVs have multiple options for aspect ratio. For example, zoom, hourglass, etc. Just make sure this setting is set to fill the screen.

I am not saying that is the case for all of you, it just was for me. Once I changed the setting, it filled the screen perfectly without messing with the X Y resolutions.
And also:
Quote:
Originally Posted by orrebmas View Post
Adding on to the notes and known issues/observations:

1- To achieve hardware acceleration, video memory (minimal) has to be used. Some poorly coded programs that also use video memory will try to grab a hold of the entire memory block instead of the available. This will cause them to crash when you are in hardware mode reserving a small block of memory to yourself. The only application that I found to be doing this is, strangely enough, HTC's Gallery (specifically video playback mode). Gallery video playback will keep trying to acquire the whole video memory, put the phone in a tight infinite loop doing so and eventually force close (after about 40 sec).
Compatibility or software mode does not use video memory and is safe to keep on while launching Galley video playback. Compatibility mode also does not make use of the "supercharged" feature, custom res or fullscreen mode.

2- FPS: Your frames per second will not be the same as on your phone. This is because the app is designed to keep the phone as primary display and output a secondary to the HDMI port. You are also outputting, most likely, a 1280x720 pixels which is almost ~2.5 times more the normal output. So in total you are pushing 3.5 lcd size screen worth of pixels (phone lcs + hdmi). Things can be improved if we freeze the phone display, but that wont be mirroring (maybe a feature in FullHDMI 2). Expect, however, to get more FPS in 3-D games (I get upwards of 40 fps on Raging Thunder 2) than 2-D sine he 2-D engine does the mirroring.

3- Lag: Some TVs (like Insignia) use an image enhancing and noise reducing engine. This extra processing puts the TV about half a second behind the phone making games unplayable by looking at the TV only. Watching movies is fine since nobody cares if the phone is a little faster than the TV. On this Insignia TV, I had to go in and turn off two image enhancing and noise reducing features, and now my phone and TV track together. I know Sony has its own engine, I do not know if the extra processing there introduces lag. I have two other TVs with no lag issues, but then they don't use any image enhancing engines.
Again, the app should not lag in mirroring, if you experience any lag then please check your TV and share your observation with us.
Enjoy.

-- orrebmas
Quoted kernel post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by artlan View Post
HDMI Flashable Kernel

HDMI kernel.zip

Here's the zip I concocted and managed to flash into my EVO 4G running Fresh Rom.

Note - this is JUST the Kernel/Modules, NOT the program itself.
Flash at your own risk - always remember : BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP (then backup some more for good measure!)

This was created by gutting out one of netarchy's kernels and replacing the files needed/removing everything else.

Goodluck!
Attached Files
File Type: apk FullHDMI_public_beta_022611_2.apk (76.9 KB, 224 views) Click for barcode!
File Type: zip HDMI kernel.zip (2.82 MB, 203 views) Click for barcode!

Last edited by WarChild; 03-09-2011 at 03:37 PM.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:15 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

lilbrulesall is keeping up the good worklilbrulesall is keeping up the good work
Re: Full HDMI Mirroring on the Evo

Yes!!! Thank you!!!!
Old 02-27-2011, 12:24 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge

Cellfreak is keeping up the good workCellfreak is keeping up the good work

Been waiting for this... I do this with my Galaxy Tab.
Check out my Moto Q Photoshow
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=8209
Old 02-27-2011, 10:27 AM
OMJ
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC 10!!!!!

OMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

thx for sharing but the upgrades forum is for chefs......thread moved
Old 02-27-2011, 11:00 AM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

So this works???

It gives you full "Out" abilities, like the TP2's TVOut does??

I have a few friends with EVO's Id love to pass this along to..

can Non-Rooted users "flash" this Kernel? My friends wouldnt know how to do that.. and Im still not 100% up on Android yet, so forgive the possible noob-like questions lol
Old 02-27-2011, 12:31 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

BlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredandtattooed View Post
So this works???

It gives you full "Out" abilities, like the TP2's TVOut does??

I have a few friends with EVO's Id love to pass this along to..

can Non-Rooted users "flash" this Kernel? My friends wouldnt know how to do that.. and Im still not 100% up on Android yet, so forgive the possible noob-like questions lol
Yes it works. It gives you full "Out" like the TP2, only in HD with an HDMI cable.

Yes, you do have to be rooted to use it. So your friends would have to root their Evo's in order to use it.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:33 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMJ View Post
thx for sharing but the upgrades forum is for chefs......thread moved
So flashing an attached kernel doesn't belong in the upgrades forum? Okay, I'll keep that in mind next time.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:41 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro2/ blackberry bold
Carrier: sprint & at & t

idenkilla is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to idenkilla

Would this work with the cyanogen 7 rom?
Old 02-27-2011, 02:00 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

lilbrulesall is keeping up the good worklilbrulesall is keeping up the good work

Idenkilla, I think it just came out so not many have tried it. If you could make a backup then flash the kernel and let us know if it works with your rom that would be cool from what I've read at xda it should work as long as you have sense and the kernel good luck compadre
-Lil B
Old 02-27-2011, 06:48 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy S3

lkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stuff

I downloaded the kernel but am waiting for others to post their results. I am running an SBC and hate to loose the advantage until I know it is worth it.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G