PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

View Poll Results: New Software
I will be updating to new version 83 64.84%
I do not want to lose my ROOT 46 35.94%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2010, 12:39 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO / TP2
Carrier: Sprint

OMGWTF_BBQ is keeping up the good workOMGWTF_BBQ is keeping up the good workOMGWTF_BBQ is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: New software version 6.28?

I'll be updating, I just wonder if this improvement means N compatibility. I've got an N router and nothing that uses it. :|
Old 06-26-2010, 09:37 AM
Bringer of Good Things
Pocket PC: HTC TITAN
Carrier: AT&T

GoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

I'm actually more interested in signal improvements ... my EVO (before the N patch) was almost always 2 bars lower than my laptop sitting right next to each other. At least with the existing N patch I am getting 1-2 bars better, but it's still a bar down from what it should be.

Example, here in my bedroom (less than 50 ft from the access point, and it's a straight line of sight between the AP and me except my door being shut) my access point is a Cisco Aironet 1131AG, and I'm getting 5/5 bars from my laptop, but only 2/4 bars from my EVO. I have to be within 10 feet to get 4/4 on the EVO, and 15-30 feet gives me 3/4.

Aside from that, there are other issues I'm interested in addressing... the FPS rate, which I understand is why the touch-sensitivity issue exists, as well as the improved Exchange account support.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:10 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

biscodude is becoming a great contributor

What gives you guys the idea that the update will break root? I bet it won't affect root at all, and we won't have anything to worry about until the 2.2 upgrade. Remember, the last OTA didn't seem to affect root either.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:12 PM
The EVO Guru
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

brownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

I dont care about flashing roms at this point since I refuse to lose any functions the phone came with. Im just using unrevoked for wifi tether at this point so more than likely ill upgrade.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:40 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

touch_rules is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartouch_rules is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartouch_rules is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I would be tempted to update for better battery performance but the truth is I finally have this thing rooted and I have my battery life at a very workable life expectancy so I voted no. But perhaps there should have been a third option like, will update when root is available on the update.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:51 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Threadstarter

neuteboomt is becoming a PPCGeeks regularneuteboomt is becoming a PPCGeeks regularneuteboomt is becoming a PPCGeeks regularneuteboomt is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscodude View Post
What gives you guys the idea that the update will break root? I bet it won't affect root at all, and we won't have anything to worry about until the 2.2 upgrade. Remember, the last OTA didn't seem to affect root either.
It was a assumption that the update would break a rooted phone.

I want to say thanks to everyone that has posted
Old 06-26-2010, 04:04 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch

LeoKnightas is becoming a great contributor

I'll update I'm not rooted yet.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:29 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

Agent0Hibachi is keeping up the good workAgent0Hibachi is keeping up the good work
Send a message via Yahoo to Agent0Hibachi Send a message via Skype™ to Agent0Hibachi

So since ive used Unrevoked not fully rooted an using a custon rom (Flipz updated OTA w/ root access) If i update will it brick my phone or just take the rom an root off my phone? Should i just wait until Flipz comes out with his updated OTA....Im second Guessing my Rooting now
Old 06-26-2010, 04:47 PM
VIP & Master of my Domain
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4g

stroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIP

Its relatively easy to make a rooted "update.zip" from the Sprint ruu executable. I did this with . 6 when it came out. Basically, you only are using the rom part of the installer. Doing this you dont loose root ability.

Sent from my Evo 4g using Tapatalk

Old 06-26-2010, 05:01 PM
Jailbroken and rooted
Pocket PC: ET4G/Thrive/iPad (original)
Carrier: Sprint and AT&T

amw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I'm probably NOT going to update since I have FULL root and am already running the currently MOST stable Froyo ROM out there now. Yes, the camera and BT is still broken...but I have a NAND backup of a fully functional 2.1 ROM for camera work.

NOW...the battery performance from 2.2 to 2.1 is so much better I'm not sure where to begin. I can leave the house with a full charge...and NOT charge again until before I go to sleep...(usage..moderate text, gmail push, espn scorecenter push, engadget widget push, news/weather push, 30 mins of talking on the phone, moderate internet usage, and at least an hour of messing with the phone and settings) I am at 30-40% when I plug in at night.

That alone is worth me NOT updating to any official ROMs that Sprint/HTC puts out. I didn't do it for the Mogul, TP OR TP2...not gonna start now.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G