PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2010, 10:11 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint

Agent0Hibachi is keeping up the good workAgent0Hibachi is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Agent0Hibachi Send a message via Skype™ to Agent0Hibachi
Attachments

Maybe a dumb question but i sent over an e-mail from my evo to my Fiance's phone. She has a Moment, but even myself i was trying to figure out if someone sent me something like a song in an attachment how do i open it an save it? All it says is to preview it. Is there a app i need to get? Thanks peoples!
Old 06-21-2010, 12:44 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 4g/Sprint

MarcusInMD is becoming a great contributor
Re: Attachments

I have the same question. I got a few Excel files sent to me last week and while hey preview perfectly I can't figure out how to save them on the phone.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:57 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

TheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Make sure the attachment shows a paper clip, and not a down-arrow. Then press and hold until a menu pops up. One choise will be Save to SD Card, and it will only save it to Downloads on the SD Card.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:53 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G
Threadstarter

Agent0Hibachi is keeping up the good workAgent0Hibachi is keeping up the good work
Send a message via Yahoo to Agent0Hibachi Send a message via Skype™ to Agent0Hibachi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBundo View Post
Make sure the attachment shows a paper clip, and not a down-arrow. Then press and hold until a menu pops up. One choise will be Save to SD Card, and it will only save it to Downloads on the SD Card.

OK so im pressing an holding but nothing is happening...What exactly should i be presing? When i press the paper clip it doesnt do anything when i press preview it goes to the attachment (plays the quick tone) then goes back to the e-mail. Same with a word doc i got from someone.... Thanks for your help thought hope we can figure this out
Old 06-21-2010, 03:20 AM
VIP Member

TheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent0Hibachi View Post
OK so im pressing an holding but nothing is happening...What exactly should i be presing? When i press the paper clip it doesnt do anything when i press preview it goes to the attachment (plays the quick tone) then goes back to the e-mail. Same with a word doc i got from someone.... Thanks for your help thought hope we can figure this out
Are you opening the email first? You have to do that, then open View Attachments. You can't do it from the overall list of emails.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:59 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: EVO

supdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Only way I've seen to download attachments (which is a PITA BTW) is to go to mail.google.com from a web browser and get the attachments directly from the website. I think the default Gmail app does not allow you to download attachments, only preview them.

Not sure about the stock mail app, as all I use is gmail.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:48 AM
VIP Member

What email service are you using, not that it should matter, I use Gmail and Yahoo, others use other services. Perhaps you are doing all this from the notification bar using the service that is attached to Google Voice or something.

Just try this - from your Home Screen, tap Mail. Then open an email with an attachment. There will be an area that says View Attachments. Open that (there is a little ">" on the right side). There will be the attachment's name, and either a down-arrow, or a paper clip. If the arrow, it needs to be downloaded to the phone. Press that. A little tiny clock should appear by the arrow. When it's done, a paper clip appears. Press and hold that until the pop-up appears that lets you either Open or Save to SD Card.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:17 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 4g/Sprint

MarcusInMD is becoming a great contributor

After extensive research, the only way I found to be able to do this is to download an app from the market. Do a search for "Save Attachment" and you will find several programs that will allow you to save attachments from gmail/mail programs. The one I downloaded works perfectly.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:12 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

fr0st is a VIPfr0st is a VIPfr0st is a VIPfr0st is a VIPfr0st is a VIPfr0st is a VIPfr0st is a VIPfr0st is a VIPfr0st is a VIPfr0st is a VIPfr0st is a VIP
Wirelessly posted (TP2 Biznitch: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/ERE27) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

The mail app is different from the gmail app. Doesn't make sense that Google would make the app without these basic features.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:34 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G LTE
Carrier: Sprint PCS

toddpedersen knows their stufftoddpedersen knows their stufftoddpedersen knows their stufftoddpedersen knows their stufftoddpedersen knows their stufftoddpedersen knows their stufftoddpedersen knows their stuff

From any EVO Mail account you have setup, you simply click on the right arrow next to the View Attachment indicator (Inside the email with the attachment. Next click on the paperclip and and choose Open or Save to SD Card.

There is also a setting for each mail account that you can set to automatically download all attachments, or based on file size etc.

All attachments are saved to the Downloads folder on the SD Card.

You can download Astro or ES File Explorer, both of which are free file explorer programs that work well.

This way you can navigate to your SD Card to move files around or open them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr0st View Post
Wirelessly posted (TP2 Biznitch: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/ERE27) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

The mail app is different from the gmail app. Doesn't make sense that Google would make the app without these basic features.

Hitting Thanks (to the right) helps build reputation. Hit it, if I did it!

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G