PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2010, 04:30 AM
Jailbroken and rooted
Pocket PC: ET4G/Thrive/iPad (original)
Carrier: Sprint and AT&T

amw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Anybody try formating sd card trick? Results?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcisco View Post
If you mount the phone's memory as a hard drive (Menu -Settings - Connect to PC - Disk Drive)then THEORETICALLY you should be able to format it while it's still in the phone, but don't quote me on that

Maybe I will try it and post results...
did that...two days ago...worked famously!!

Old 06-19-2010, 02:48 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

brownmc7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbrownmc7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbrownmc7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Talking Re: Anybody try formating sd card trick? Results?

Tried this and for some reason it magically worked for me too...Thumbs up. Worked!!!!!
Old 06-20-2010, 08:59 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo Rooted Stock ROM

sanjsrik is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsanjsrik is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsanjsrik is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsanjsrik is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Help, I formatted my SD card and now it's not recognized by my phone. I "think" I followed all the directions as indicated in the first post. Help.

I can see the card if I put it in an adapter. However, when I put it in the card and use Astro or some other file manager the card shows up as empty.

Help.

Okay, found a link to something about a special utility to format SD cards, used it, copied all of my stuff back from the local drive and reinserted the card into the phone, phew, everything is copacetic.

Last edited by sanjsrik; 06-20-2010 at 02:00 PM.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:40 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Epic 4G Touch (SGS2)

eman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjsrik View Post
Help, I formatted my SD card and now it's not recognized by my phone. I "think" I followed all the directions as indicated in the first post. Help.

I can see the card if I put it in an adapter. However, when I put it in the card and use Astro or some other file manager the card shows up as empty.

Help.
Did you format it to FAT32?
Old 06-20-2010, 12:07 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

neuteboomt is becoming a PPCGeeks regularneuteboomt is becoming a PPCGeeks regularneuteboomt is becoming a PPCGeeks regularneuteboomt is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I formated mine to FAT32.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:55 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

sanjsrik is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsanjsrik is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsanjsrik is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsanjsrik is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman View Post
Did you format it to FAT32?
The first time in the PC I thought I had, I guess I hadn't. The second time I used the Panasonic utility that formats it properly but takes a bit longer.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:08 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG v10
Carrier: T-mobile

clockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlin View Post
How does this phone/battery charge differently than others, like the TP2 for instance? I never noticed this phenomenon until I started using this phone...
It doesn't charge differently. If you search through other threads you will see the same suggestion posted. Complaints about the battery indicator dropping to 90% from full after removing it from the charger.

Reason is that Li ION batteries/chargers do not trickle charge, once full they stop, if not the battery would over heat and possibly cause a fire.

It is also the reason why you do not have to prime (fully charge, discharge) a Li ION battery, they include IC in the pack, hence they are considered smart batteries (that's why you can have widgets telling you the temp and power in the battery, they read this IC).

Third party, cheap oem some times have bad IC/programming or may not include one at all and may be dangerous, if not hazardous to your device. Same applies for cheap generic chargers.. YMMV

EDIT: Cheap/generic batteries and or charger manufacturers assume you will use their product with a decent battery/charger that will prevent over charge or over heating, but when consumers use both generic/cheap products, is when this possible hazard may come to happen.

Last edited by clockcycle; 06-21-2010 at 12:15 PM.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:24 PM
Just call me Dr. Doctor
Pocket PC: Nexus 6
Carrier: Bitch ass, big red

mlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockcycle View Post
It doesn't charge differently. If you search through other threads you will see the same suggestion posted. Complaints about the battery indicator dropping to 90% from full after removing it from the charger.

Reason is that Li ION batteries/chargers do not trickle charge, once full they stop, if not the battery would over heat and possibly cause a fire.

It is also the reason why you do not have to prime (fully charge, discharge) a Li ION battery, they include IC in the pack, hence they are considered smart batteries (that's why you can have widgets telling you the temp and power in the battery, they read this IC).

Third party, cheap oem some times have bad IC/programming or may not include one at all and may be dangerous, if not hazardous to your device. Same applies for cheap generic chargers.. YMMV

EDIT: Cheap/generic batteries and or charger manufacturers assume you will use their product with a decent battery/charger that will prevent over charge or over heating, but when consumers use both generic/cheap products, is when this possible hazard may come to happen.
Ok, but my TP2, Pre, Diamond, TP, etc all used Li ION batteries and would hold a charge at %100 and gradually drop down throughout the day, not like the EVO which drops to %90 right away, or at least it used to before doing this trick and the constant charge/unplug/charge trick. Now when I unplug the phone it sits at %100 for at least a half hour then gradually drops to 99, 98, 97, ... and so on. My other phones maintained a full charge at the time I removed them from the charger after an overnight charge, and now my EVO does too.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:28 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownmc7 View Post
***All Credit goes to sh4o8kid over at android.

For people who's battery go from 100% to 90% in a matter of minutes

*IMPORTANT*

The results of this have been mostly positive. Although we aren't having problems now, we may run into a few bumps later on as this solution is very premature at the moment. Please do not put your hopes and dreams on this solution just yet until we have more time to play with it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may have found a solution and you'll only need to do this one time (hopefully)

For most of who got the EVO's a bit later, we had the update that fixed the SD card issue. All was great so most of us most likely did not do a format on the micro sd card. I tried to make my battery last longer by doing all these tips and tricks and the one that helped most was the turning off and charging it over n over again. It's a pain doing that so i figured what else haven't we tried?

I charged my phone to 100% and decided to take the micro sd card out and just play with the phone. I noticed that my battery didnt drop 10-15% in a matter of minutes so i thought that was weird. I decided to format the micro SD card (the slow way) and now i notice that when I'm at like 90% and i start charging, it takes a lot longer to charge up to 100% . When i take off the charger, my battery doesn't drop anymore. Can anybody confirm this?

Format was 32kb, and unchecked "quick format'.

Formatting on a Computer
Step 1
Insert the tiny micro SD card into slot located at the bottom of the the larger SD card adapter. Insert the combination into a USB card reader or your computer's onboard card slots--if available.

Step 2
Open the "My Computer" menu and then insert the card reader into a USB port on your computer. Note the drive assignment your computer gives the reader when inserted (ex F:Card Read ).

Step 3
Right-click on the drive your card is inserted into and choose the "Format" option from the menu that appears. Click the "Start" button at the bottom of the "Format" menu.

Taken from:
How to Format a Sandisk Micro SD Card | eHow.com

edit: Ive been charging my evo when it hit 90%, it's been 25 minutes and its at 98% and still charging.

edit2: It's been 15 minutes since i hit 100% and i'm still at 100% battery life. with moderate usage.

edit3: it's been 37 minutes and i'm still at 100%

edit4: it's been 42 minutes, 100%.

edit 5: 43 minutes, 99% battery, 37% android system, 20% standby, etc etc. Not bad for using the phone for so long such as messaging and e-mails.

edit 6: Right now i'm at 83% battery life at 8H 35M

What i did so far since 99%:
4-5 Text messages
25 Minutes of Youtube video on my own wifi
1 Minute of checking forums
Check both my email accounts (I cycle through this only once a day)
Took 6 camera pictures with no flash

edit 7: I charged it back to 100% (It took some time to charge from 90% to 100%). The reason why i'm charging back to 100% is because this format fix is to only address the 10-15% loss of battery life. So here i am, i'm at 100%, no rebooting or anything of that matter. The 100% still sticks and is running smoothly! I for one will shout out to the world that the format of the sd card fixed my 10-15% loss of battery life issue.

edit 8: Some people have reported that it works, some reported that it doesn't. Try if you have nothing to lose. Note that a lot of people are still testing this and problems can arise later on in the future. In the meantime, the ones that got this to work haven't ran into any problems just yet. We'll see how this works out as it plays out in the next couple days.

Also, i wanted to thanks for all the feedback.

original link.. http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/...r-minutes.html
Don't remember where I found the link but went and looked up the software via google search and it works absolutely great (Panasonic SD Formatting Software):

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...oad/index.html
Old 06-21-2010, 12:42 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC TP, TP2, EVO 4G

Biofall is becoming a great contributor

OMG! I went to format it, but after an hour it hadn't made progress, so I canceled.. and now my computer/phone won't recognize it! What do I do?
The Kernel.... HTC Supersecret Supersonic 3.28.651.1 - unreleased OTA (thanks flipzmod!)

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Tags
battery, evo, htc, tips, tricks