PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2010, 02:11 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc touch pro, htc hero, htc evo
Carrier: sprint

93mustang is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to 93mustang Send a message via Yahoo to 93mustang
Re: Anybody try formating sd card trick? Results?

does it defeat the purpose to format if you copy everything to the desktop and then put it right back on the card?!!
Old 06-18-2010, 07:11 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

neuteboomt is becoming a PPCGeeks regularneuteboomt is becoming a PPCGeeks regularneuteboomt is becoming a PPCGeeks regularneuteboomt is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

What I found was there was files on my card that was keeping the phone from not sleeping. So I brought over files and media over slowly. I found that it was either my thumb nail files (for pics and video I took on my TP2), Video files, or ebooks that was keeping my phone from sleeping. So long store short "Yes" it does defeat the purpose.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:24 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

mrcisco is a n00b
Send a message via Yahoo to mrcisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerx123 View Post
ummm. what if i dont have a SD card reader? Can i format through the phone?
If you mount the phone's memory as a hard drive (Menu -Settings - Connect to PC - Disk Drive)then THEORETICALLY you should be able to format it while it's still in the phone, but don't quote me on that

Maybe I will try it and post results...
Old 06-18-2010, 09:40 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Epic 4G Touch (SGS2)

eman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I posted this at the other site but figured to throw it up here as well........Might save some people a lot of trouble doing all the battery voodoo tricks that I have already tried.....

Okay so here is the deal and I have now seen it proven.......This hack is not working. But I have read other things and one thing is now for sure.

What it is, if you charge your phone and remove it from the charger once it hits green you will not drop to the low 90's within minutes.

If you let your device sit on the charger green for a while, I have read other posts that saadi it is actually using your battary but just not registering it at the time. I totally believe this is true.

I took my phone off the charger this morning after keeping it on the charger all night and within minutes I was at 93%. I got to work and threw my phone on the charger to get back to full and it has been charging for over 40 minutes and still hasn't hit green yet. It is obviuos that my battery was drained more then just the few minutes I had it off of the charger......

I am now waiting for it to turn green as it is at 99% now. I am sure once I pull it off the charger this time without letting it sit there, it will hang in the 90's for a while....

Yesterday when I tested this after the reformat, I removed the phone from the charger right after it turned green and I was in the 90's for hours. So it looks more like the effect is to pull the device off the charger when it hits 100% but what are we to do if we leave our phone's on the charger overnight? It almost looks like it won't matter if we keep it plugged on or not.

This cannot be right. How can I start out with a true 100% battery in the morning without unplugging my phone and recharging every day? Something needs to be done about this!

I am now almost at an hour of charging, and my phone still hasn't turned green yet. All I did was have my phone off the charger for 12 minutes with no use!

Update****Phone has now been off the charger for an 1/2 hour since it turned green and it still is at 100% battery.........

Update 2*** Now after an hour off the charger after being removed immediately when it hit green, my device is at 96% with some light web surfing and a couple of reminders popping up...So what it looks like, if the EVO can hold it's charge while being plugged in, then the battery would be pretty good after all!!!
Unfortuetly, by charging the phone all night, it is like we are starting out the day with a device that is sitting in stanby for 8-10 hours or even more off the charger!

Last edited by eman; 06-18-2010 at 10:02 AM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:45 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

neuteboomt is becoming a PPCGeeks regularneuteboomt is becoming a PPCGeeks regularneuteboomt is becoming a PPCGeeks regularneuteboomt is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

EMAN, After trial and error I found that I had a file on my SD card that was using up processing power and not allowing my phone to sleep. So Formating the card slowly bring files back ont he card allowed me to fined the Media file that would not allow my phone to sleep. In the end I did not have a battery problem I had a processing problem. Also to say this does not work would be incorrect.

Last edited by neuteboomt; 06-18-2010 at 12:47 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:59 PM
Gatornator
Pocket PC: Palm Pre /3 EVO 4G's/1 moPho!

gator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I agree with this. I think HTC uses some shoddy batteries if you ask me. I have 2 TP's that I got within months of each other and one charges and stays charged throughout the day (12 hours) with moderate use and the other, well, dies in 8 hours with no use at all. Both have been charged at the same time the exact same way. Both have the same apps and configured equally.

Li-Ion batteries aren't supposed to have to be conditioned but I beg to differ. They need to be charged, de-charged and charged again over and over for a battery reaches its full potential. The best way I have found is to (if you can afford to do this) at night, turn your phone off and charge. But during the day, let it drain as much as you can possibly stand before charging. Do this for a week and you'll notice a slight increase in battery life if it's a good battery.

This is just a tip and in no way am I claiming that "it will" increase the batt life. There are so many different factors to consider but this has always worked for me.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:42 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG v10
Carrier: T-mobile

clockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on rep

One Word Sony. Remember those Japanese Made, Japanese Cell battery packs that would catch on fire on your lap? Dell, HP as well many other top name laptop/notebook manufacturers sourced their batteries from the same place. Even with high quality control, this happens.

Shoot even USA assembled "TOYOTAS" had their major failure and recalls.. although you have to remember, quality control at those plants aren't up to par with the Japanese plants..

Even the best can fail..

I've mentioned this before in other threads, remember your phone / charger will only charge your phone to 100% and then stop charging. It does not trickle charge.. So if you plugged your phone in at night and it finished charging to 100% in 2 hours and you unplugged it in the morning from a "full charge" you have to consider that the phone was using the battery the other 6 hours while you slept (assuming you sleep 8 hours) hence at 90%.. Best practice is to top off your battery (unplug and plug in your phone), before you leave the house..

Last edited by clockcycle; 06-18-2010 at 01:46 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:53 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Epic 4G Touch (SGS2)

eman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockcycle View Post
I've mentioned this before in other threads, remember your phone / charger will only charge your phone to 100% and then stop charging. It does not trickle charge.. So if you plugged your phone in at night and it finished charging to 100% in 2 hours and you unplugged it in the morning from a "full charge" you have to consider that the phone was using the battery the other 6 hours while you slept (assuming you sleep 8 hours) hence at 90%.. Best practice is to top off your battery (unplug and plug in your phone), before you leave the house..
Exactly what I am seeing......and describe in my post above.

Has nothing to do with a media file on my card as the other poster mentioned. As soon as I take my phone off the charger when it turns green, it hangs in the the 90's for a few hours. Charge over night and it drops to low 90's in a matter of minutes.......I am convinced the above statement is true....
Old 06-18-2010, 02:59 PM
Just call me Dr. Doctor
Pocket PC: Nexus 6
Carrier: Bitch ass, big red

mlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman View Post
Exactly what I am seeing......and describe in my post above.

Has nothing to do with a media file on my card as the other poster mentioned. As soon as I take my phone off the charger when it turns green, it hangs in the the 90's for a few hours. Charge over night and it drops to low 90's in a matter of minutes.......I am convinced the above statement is true....
How does this phone/battery charge differently than others, like the TP2 for instance? I never noticed this phenomenon until I started using this phone...
Old 06-18-2010, 03:10 PM
you know ...
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 3D

meatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to meatgel

I've done so many of these battery "tips" and this is the only one that made a difference in my up/awake time and now I am getting better battery life. So, if "this hack is not working" ...

hoo-ray for the the placebo effect!

Sprint Evo 3D! ...

This post has been thanked 2 times.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Tags
battery, evo, htc, tips, tricks