PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2010, 10:13 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: EVO 3D
Carrier: SPRINT

cmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on repcmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on repcmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on repcmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on repcmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on repcmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on repcmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on repcmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on repcmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Very poor picture quality...HELP!!!

So, I am at my daughters preschool graduation and I decide to use my EVO to take pictures. I have seen some really good pictures taken with the Evo, so I figured I would give it a shot. I have the phone set to factory settings. All of the pictures taken are very noisy and grainy. I took pictures indoors as well as outdoors at about 7:30pm. Can anyone recommend settings to try, to hopefully improve the quality of the pictures. I already ruined graduation memories, I don't want to ruin any more!
Old 06-08-2010, 10:17 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: EVO!!!!
Carrier: Sprint

Mazzakre knows their stuffMazzakre knows their stuffMazzakre knows their stuffMazzakre knows their stuffMazzakre knows their stuffMazzakre knows their stuff
Re: Very poor picture quality...HELP!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdauria View Post
So, I am at my daughters preschool graduation and I decide to use my EVO to take pictures. I have seen some really good pictures taken with the Evo, so I figured I would give it a shot. I have the phone set to factory settings. All of the pictures taken are very noisy and grainy. I took pictures indoors as well as outdoors at about 7:30pm. Can anyone recommend settings to try, to hopefully improve the quality of the pictures. I already ruined graduation memories, I don't want to ruin any more!
I assume it was dark so here is what I'd suggest.
Flash on always
Try adjusting brightness
ISO high
High resolution
High quality
You can focus on parts of the screen just by tapping.
For close pictures with face detection on a box focuses on the face for you.

Personally I always have problems with graduation pictures, even with actual digital cameras. Unless youre really close or have a really good camera its gonna come out grainy.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:28 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

cmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on repcmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on repcmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on repcmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on repcmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on repcmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on repcmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on repcmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on repcmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I would assume when you say brightness, you mean to raise the brightness. I come from the tp2 world where you had to lower the brightness to try to get a decent picture. In your opinion even in ok lighting outdoors, do you think the pictures still should have been grainy and noisy? Do you think at all that it could be a bad camera on the phone? The pictures were taken from only 5' away. They definitely look nothing like any of the pictures I have seen on the web.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:01 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: EVO!!!!

Mazzakre knows their stuffMazzakre knows their stuffMazzakre knows their stuffMazzakre knows their stuffMazzakre knows their stuffMazzakre knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdauria View Post
I would assume when you say brightness, you mean to raise the brightness. I come from the tp2 world where you had to lower the brightness to try to get a decent picture. In your opinion even in ok lighting outdoors, do you think the pictures still should have been grainy and noisy? Do you think at all that it could be a bad camera on the phone? The pictures were taken from only 5' away. They definitely look nothing like any of the pictures I have seen on the web.
Just trying to help. Anyway, I come from the tp2 as well and this camera is much better. I just took 2 pix from about 5 ft away, one with 5mp one with 8. The 5 came out much better.

5mp
8mp
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:23 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazzakre View Post
Just trying to help. Anyway, I come from the tp2 as well and this camera is much better. I just took 2 pix from about 5 ft away, one with 5mp one with 8. The 5 came out much better.

5mp
8mp
I really appreciate your help. Thank You!
Old 06-09-2010, 08:59 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc Evo4G
Carrier: sprint

arsmithsr is becoming a PPCGeeks regulararsmithsr is becoming a PPCGeeks regulararsmithsr is becoming a PPCGeeks regulararsmithsr is becoming a PPCGeeks regulararsmithsr is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Here's what I would do and have done sit down when it doesn't matter and take pic's and play with the different settings and see what happens' try different lighting inside outside etc and see if you can make it better. If not then look into taking it back. It can take very good pic's I have taken some good one's on my phone so it is capable. HTC and Sprint have admitted low light issues with the video tho.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:22 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: PRO2/EVO4G
Carrier: SprinT

lipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIP

take some sample pics under the same lighting conditions, and post here so we can see what you're talking about... the object can be of anything.

i'm curious to see how bad they're coming out for you. at first i was going to say don't expect good results under really low light, but 5' is pretty close. The camera shines in daylight and indoor upclose, but it can be very difficult to take pictures at night or under lowlight :/
Old 06-09-2010, 09:33 AM
ѕнρ ѕоfтшаяє
Pocket PC: EVO4G
Carrier: sprinт

Cicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazzakre View Post
I assume it was dark so here is what I'd suggest.
ISO high...
I wouldn't really recommend this. Although it allows more light, the higher the ISO setting is, the more grainy a picture becomes. Only use higher ISO if you absolutely cannot get the photo because it's too dark.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:39 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

I really appreciate all of your input. When I get home from work today, I will play around with the camera and post some pics!
Old 06-09-2010, 10:20 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP2

johnnycakes2 is keeping up the good workjohnnycakes2 is keeping up the good work

Silly question, but when you adjust/change your camera settings and then close out the camera app does it retain those settings for whenever you reopen the app, or do you have to change them every time?

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G