PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2010, 06:09 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: sprint htc touch diamond
Carrier: Sprint

slash007 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Battery life gone to crap after 3 days, why?

I picked up the evo on friday, and I activated it on a new line. Therefore I still had a tp2 on my main line and I did not use the evo for calls. I went ahead and set it up wit all of my info and d/l a few apps and such. The first night I left bt and wifi off, put the phone in airplane mode and left it off the charger for the night. I started at 98% and by 8am I was at 92% which was great. I left it off the charger all day and by the evening I was still around 72%. The next night I kept the same settings but turned cellular radio on (airplane off) and I had very similar results. Over night I only lost 7%. Problem is, the next night I d/l K9 mail, a couple of silent/vibrate widgets and spareparts. That's when my battery starting disappearing quickly while idle. I am now losing 5-6% an hour with airplane mode on and nothing running. I uninstalled each of those apps one at a time to see if they were the problem, but battery life is still horrible. As of now, the phone has been off of the charger for 1 hour 21 min and I am at 92%. Battery info says "phone idle" has used 83% of that. Am I missing something that could have made such a drastic change? I planned on switching the evo to my main # tonight, but I'm afraid that if I actually use it I won't get more than a few hours in battery. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:23 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

Donatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to Donatom3 Send a message via MSN to Donatom3 Send a message via Yahoo to Donatom3
Re: Battery life gone to crap after 3 days, why?

Install Spare Parts from the app store go to Battery usage select Partial awake and see which app is keeping your phone awake.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:29 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

slash007 is a n00b

Thanks for the tip. I did a soft reset and for the past hour I have only lost 1%, so if it does it again I will definitely check spare parts. Hopefully it's obvious. Thanks.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:35 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

Donatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to Donatom3 Send a message via MSN to Donatom3 Send a message via Yahoo to Donatom3

Quote:
Originally Posted by slash007 View Post
Thanks for the tip. I did a soft reset and for the past hour I have only lost 1%, so if it does it again I will definitely check spare parts. Hopefully it's obvious. Thanks.
One time what happened to me is the camera app stayed open even though I closed it. It was killing my battery fast.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:47 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: 6600->6800->6900->6950->6850->Hero->EVO 4G

5harkology is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatom3 View Post
One time what happened to me is the camera app stayed open even though I closed it. It was killing my battery fast.
This has happened to me several times now. Camera will take up 90% of my usage. I use the camera but not that much and I always use the back button to exit it. I doesn't show up on ATK either (I don't use task killers normally).
Old 06-11-2010, 08:16 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HERO

Brock1909 is halfway to VIP status based on repBrock1909 is halfway to VIP status based on repBrock1909 is halfway to VIP status based on repBrock1909 is halfway to VIP status based on repBrock1909 is halfway to VIP status based on repBrock1909 is halfway to VIP status based on repBrock1909 is halfway to VIP status based on repBrock1909 is halfway to VIP status based on repBrock1909 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to Brock1909 Send a message via MSN to Brock1909 Send a message via Yahoo to Brock1909

ive had the same problem. the first day my battery lasted about 14 hours and im gettin about half that now. and really dont have much installed, but have done all the battery tweaks people have talked about.

anyone know what this operation is?
Old 06-11-2010, 09:18 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Epic 4G Touch

tool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to tool2269 Send a message via Yahoo to tool2269

maybe try this?http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=124820
Old 06-12-2010, 11:16 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

slash007 is a n00b

What's interesting is that while I was trying to figure out the problem, I made a few tweaks, none that seemed to help, but after I did a soft reset, in the past 12 hours I have only lost 1% while in airplane mode, so the soft reset must have eliminated whatever was draining the battery, and those tweaks must have really helped as well.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:01 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G Touch

ChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuff

I love reading about all these battery issues people are having. This is the main reason I am waiting till atleast August to upgrade to the Evo. 1st batches all tend to have problems, bugs or defects...and tend to be phones that are reported to HTC to Revise there new batches. It's always been a rule of thumb for me to wait on new hardware for a least a few months so the kinks and software glitches are atleast 50% fixed. Don't get me wrong, I really want the Evo bad...and I to cure my need...I just head to the closest Sprint Store and play with it...
Old 06-12-2010, 09:23 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Evo

M2Iceman is becoming a great contributor

IMO there is nothing wrong with the EVO by itself, from what I have experienced its from the programs running in the background that are killing. Numerous threads have show ways to kills apps, scale CPU and the combination of them has made my EVO last more than 24 hrs on a single charge and that is with phone calls, a lot of texts and online use. I dont have the numerous threads to post right now, but they are out there. The first week I had the phone I was ready to reactivate my Pre because the battery life was so bad. After a week or reading, I did look more into the battery threads and the info is there to make the phone last. Now that my phone can last pretty much 24 hrs on a charge, Im happy with it and wont be going back to the Pre.

Its not the battery that sucks, its the bloatware Sprint has running in the background. Also some of the programs you may have registered will have auto sync or downloading in the background. Take care of them, use Revoked, or use Toast like I did and clean things up and you will enjoy the phone.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G