PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2010, 07:29 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc Evo4G
Carrier: sprint

arsmithsr is becoming a PPCGeeks regulararsmithsr is becoming a PPCGeeks regulararsmithsr is becoming a PPCGeeks regulararsmithsr is becoming a PPCGeeks regulararsmithsr is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Talking Free WIFI tether works !!!!now with infrastructure mode.

OK this is confirmed to work I am using it now follow this link.http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=696520
Now a couple of things to be aware of to do the adb for windows the command is adb-windows.
you must close down any programs accessing your phone to do the adb commands otherwise it says your sd card is in read only.
in the setup for the wifi program itself under menu program make sure if you have controlled access turned on that you allow your computer to connect otherwise you can join but windows says no internet access.
Stable version of the free wireless tether 2_0_2 this version is like pre5 but supports full architecture mode. I will have to post later can't upload from my phone. Ok sorry for the delay but this is the infrastructure version of the free wifi router ap this is for rooted phones only.
Attached Files
File Type: apk wireless_tether_2_0_5-pre1.apk (350.8 KB, 541 views) Click for barcode!

Last edited by arsmithsr; 06-13-2010 at 09:50 PM. Reason: New latest update to wifi software infrastructure mode version.
This post has been thanked 35 times.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:32 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Evo
Carrier: Sprint

Konfuzion is halfway to VIP status based on repKonfuzion is halfway to VIP status based on repKonfuzion is halfway to VIP status based on repKonfuzion is halfway to VIP status based on repKonfuzion is halfway to VIP status based on repKonfuzion is halfway to VIP status based on repKonfuzion is halfway to VIP status based on repKonfuzion is halfway to VIP status based on repKonfuzion is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: Free WIFI tether works !!!!

Gonna add to my Evo tips tricks post, thanks!

PPC 6700 > HTC Diamond > HTC Hero > HTC Evo
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:45 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc Evo4G
Carrier: sprint
Threadstarter

arsmithsr is becoming a PPCGeeks regulararsmithsr is becoming a PPCGeeks regulararsmithsr is becoming a PPCGeeks regulararsmithsr is becoming a PPCGeeks regulararsmithsr is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

update get new version here no work around needed! follow this link do not download version from app store get it from developers site here.http://code.google.com/p/android-wif...4.apk&can=2&q=
enjoy free wifi tethering goodness!!
This post has been thanked 22 times.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:46 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Epic 4G Touch

tool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to tool2269 Send a message via Yahoo to tool2269

i assume this is only on rooted phones? guess i'll have to wait for someone to post a super noob walkthrough
Old 06-06-2010, 08:04 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP12PREDIAMONDMOMENTEVO
Carrier: anyone

veronicamays is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool2269 View Post
i assume this is only on rooted phones? guess i'll have to wait for someone to post a super noob walkthrough
Try this http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=123714 make sure to download all the files first then reread the directions and you too can root.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:24 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 3deezy!!
Carrier: blah! sprint :/

1uk3 is becoming a great contributor

well im thinking about rooting but i cant find any info...idk if i should backup my contacts and such and if so idk with what lol its like getting my mogul going for the first time again i need answers! back up before rooting yes or no?
Old 06-06-2010, 08:27 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 4G!!!

mikldom is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via Yahoo to mikldom Send a message via Skype™ to mikldom
I can also confirm it works AWESOME

Yes, this version of WiFi Tether WORKS!!!!! Awesome.. on my crappy 3G connection and only 2 bars I still managed to get 1.02 mbs.. in our small town no doubt.

AS far as rooting.. I used the Unrevoked version.. worked great, but you need to do this.

Make sure you goto applications and allow non-market applications.

download a file manager, (do a search on marketplace).

download the unrevoked .apk and then put it in a direction on your sd card

run your file manager to your sd card (after you unplug from computer), and then highlight the unrevoked.apk If you file manager brings up a "open with" or "open as" or "complete action using", scroll down to Package installer. Takes about 30 seconds.

Then I would reboot.. copy the wireless tether to your directory on your sd card, use your file manager to browse to the directory and install it.

When you run it, it asks if you want to grant "superuser access", just click yes.

you can then hit the button to start tether, and may ask for superuser access and make sure you put a check mark on remember this.

when you disconnect, it will also bring up the question on superuser access. make sure you remember it.

It will then work flawlessly with the EVO.!!!! GREAT!
This post has been thanked 7 times.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:30 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 3deezy!!
Carrier: blah! sprint :/

1uk3 is becoming a great contributor

so no backup? O.o
Old 06-06-2010, 09:26 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch

jimmiekain is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjimmiekain is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjimmiekain is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjimmiekain is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjimmiekain is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to jimmiekain Send a message via MSN to jimmiekain Send a message via Yahoo to jimmiekain

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmithsr View Post
update get new version here no work around needed! follow this link do not download version from app store get it from developers site here.http://code.google.com/p/android-wif...4.apk&can=2&q=
enjoy free wifi tethering goodness!!

just wanna verify... this works and is free?
Old 06-06-2010, 09:41 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: EVO

2kmy477 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular2kmy477 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular2kmy477 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular2kmy477 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: I can also confirm it works AWESOME

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikldom View Post
Yes, this version of WiFi Tether WORKS!!!!! Awesome.. on my crappy 3G connection and only 2 bars I still managed to get 1.02 mbs.. in our small town no doubt.

AS far as rooting.. I used the Unrevoked version.. worked great, but you need to do this.

Make sure you goto applications and allow non-market applications.

download a file manager, (do a search on marketplace).

download the unrevoked .apk and then put it in a direction on your sd card

run your file manager to your sd card (after you unplug from computer), and then highlight the unrevoked.apk If you file manager brings up a "open with" or "open as" or "complete action using", scroll down to Package installer. Takes about 30 seconds.

Then I would reboot.. copy the wireless tether to your directory on your sd card, use your file manager to browse to the directory and install it.

When you run it, it asks if you want to grant "superuser access", just click yes.

you can then hit the button to start tether, and may ask for superuser access and make sure you put a check mark on remember this.

when you disconnect, it will also bring up the question on superuser access. make sure you remember it.

It will then work flawlessly with the EVO.!!!! GREAT!
Do I still need to run those adb commands before i install the tether app?

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G