PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2010, 09:47 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

Dsh897 is keeping up the good workDsh897 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Free WIFI tether works !!!!

working with unrevoked! thankyou soo much!
Old 06-06-2010, 09:48 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

Dsh897 is keeping up the good workDsh897 is keeping up the good work
Re: I can also confirm it works AWESOME

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kmy477 View Post
Do I still need to run those adb commands before i install the tether app?
no download the new file 2.0.2 and use either root (unrevoked is the easiest) and then just launch the program and click " allow super access"
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:56 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: EVO

2kmy477 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular2kmy477 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular2kmy477 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular2kmy477 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: I can also confirm it works AWESOME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsh897 View Post
no download the new file 2.0.2 and use either root (unrevoked is the easiest) and then just launch the program and click " allow super access"
Thanks,will try later tonite.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:57 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 4G!!!

mikldom is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via Yahoo to mikldom Send a message via Skype™ to mikldom
To Answer questions.

NO need to do a backup.. All Unrevoked.apk does is actually grant the "superuser" access.. You will not lose any data AT ALL. All it does is unroot, does nothing else to allow you to load custom roms, etc.. just ROOT.

No need to run any commands, commandline, etc..

Just run the unrevoked.apk from your sd card after you copy it to there (on your phone), uplug from the computer, and make sure you check mark "allow non-market apps" or something like that.

Trust me.. will not brick, kill, or do anything stupid to your phone. You will have the Stock Sprint roms, programs, etc,, just ability to root, AND the free Wi-Fi tether link posted by the OP does work, and is FREE,,, (works great!)
This post has been thanked 5 times.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:20 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

dougcjohn is a n00b
Re: To Answer questions.

New to Android Root, ran the Unrevoked and appears to have completed without any problems... easy as clicking a button.. Great work and Thank You, to the developers! Question, Didn't see any new apps or shortcuts, so how do I access the CMD Prompt? 2nd Ques, unrevoked provides Root but not to flash new non-oem roms? What provides both Root and unlocks for Flashing new ROM in future? Thank You!
Old 06-06-2010, 10:55 PM
Yo, VIP - Let's Kick It!!
Pocket PC: EVO - Rooted & OMJ's Rom

FastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the community
Re: To Answer questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmithsr View Post
update get new version here no work around needed! follow this link do not download version from app store get it from developers site here.http://code.google.com/p/android-wif...4.apk&can=2&q=
enjoy free wifi tethering goodness!!
Thank you very much. I've tried several custom roms and nothing has worked so far. This worked flawlessly 1st try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1uk3 View Post
well im thinking about rooting but i cant find any info...idk if i should backup my contacts and such and if so idk with what lol its like getting my mogul going for the first time again i need answers! back up before rooting yes or no?
If all you want to do is root so you can do the wifi tethering, then you can just go to the unrevoked site from your phone. It will root the phone, but you won't lose anything. Here's the site to go to from your phone - http://unrevoked.com/m/

BTW - Since you have a gmail account associated w/ your EVO, all your contacts are now backed up on gmail. It won't matter for just rooting, but your stuff is backed up. When you load a new rom, if you decide to go the far, you will lose installed apps, but you can re-download them. As long as you use the same gmail account, your contact info will all show up automatically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiekain View Post
just wanna verify... this works and is free?
Yes, if your phone is rooted, this works, and it's free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougcjohn View Post
New to Android Root, ran the Unrevoked and appears to have completed without any problems... easy as clicking a button.. Great work and Thank You, to the developers! Question, Didn't see any new apps or shortcuts, so how do I access the CMD Prompt? 2nd Ques, unrevoked provides Root but not to flash new non-oem roms? What provides both Root and unlocks for Flashing new ROM in future? Thank You!
If all you did was root through the unrevoked site, you really won't see many changes. There are no new apps present, you just have more access to do things. For example, if you tried to install the Free Wifi app we're discussing on an unrooted evo, you would not have sufficient permissions to do so. After you root, you have the ability to install it.

Unrevoked = Root (Done from their site, and very easy)
Recovery = Allows you to install custom roms. More work involved but very doable. You need to connect your rooted phone to computer. If you're using a PC, click the link in my siggy. You've already rooted, so skip to the next section. You will need to download the files though.
This post has been thanked 5 times.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:59 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: evo
Carrier: sprint

evsdr is a n00b

works perfect ....

Old 06-06-2010, 11:01 PM
Yo, VIP - Let's Kick It!!
Pocket PC: EVO - Rooted & OMJ's Rom

FastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the community

@ Everyone -
This is huge. Lets make sure we thank the OP by hitting the "Thanks" on his post. He's only been thanked 10 times in this thread.
And of course, if you can, donate the developers that made the app possible. Now that is works flawlessly without some weird work around, this is awesome.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:24 PM
Serving the Metro DC Area
Pocket PC: Thunderbolt,9530 (Blackberry)
Carrier: Verizon, Sprint

Adrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via Yahoo to Adrianh85 Send a message via Skype™ to Adrianh85
Wirelessly posted (AdrianH85(Droid I): Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/ERE27) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

Did I miss something cuz my HTC WiFi teathering apk works fine!

Old 06-06-2010, 11:25 PM
Serving the Metro DC Area
Pocket PC: Thunderbolt,9530 (Blackberry)
Carrier: Verizon, Sprint

Adrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via Yahoo to Adrianh85 Send a message via Skype™ to Adrianh85
Wirelessly posted (AdrianH85(Droid I): Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/ERE27) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

Did I miss something cuz my HTC WiFi teathering apk works fine!

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G