PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2010, 08:01 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo
Carrier: Sprint

BlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Evo Tips, Tricks and anything I find useful. Will update. Updated 7/22/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclife View Post
I didn't see any info in this FAQ on how to extract or backup apks you already have installed to your SD card. I'd recommend Astro File Manager for that (free in market). I also didn't see any info in this FAQ about sideloading apps without needing a root. Here are the steps I use:

How to sideload an apk:
Original link here, but I've provided my detailed noob friendly steps.
http://forum.androidcentral.com/show...589#post236589

1) Download and extract Android Central Sideload Wonder Machine: http://images.androidcentral.com/sit...C-SWM-v1.0.zip

2) On your phone, go to settings->applications->development and check the box that says USB debugging

3) Connect your phone to a PC and select "Charge only" on the phone. Let the drivers install on the PC.

4) Launch "AndroidCentral-SWM" (this is in the Sideload app folder you downloaded and extracted)

5) Click "Choose a File"

6) Browse for the "xx.apk" that you want to install and hit Open. Click OK on popup, hit Go and follow prompts.
We don't need to do all that, do we? I'm pretty sure all we have to do is check the box to install from unknown sources, and then we can download whatever we want and install it it. We don't need the Android Central app. That is mostly for AT&T phones that are locked down and prevented from installing apps outside of the market, right?
Old 07-30-2010, 12:22 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Konfuzion is halfway to VIP status based on repKonfuzion is halfway to VIP status based on repKonfuzion is halfway to VIP status based on repKonfuzion is halfway to VIP status based on repKonfuzion is halfway to VIP status based on repKonfuzion is halfway to VIP status based on repKonfuzion is halfway to VIP status based on repKonfuzion is halfway to VIP status based on repKonfuzion is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post
We don't need to do all that, do we? I'm pretty sure all we have to do is check the box to install from unknown sources, and then we can download whatever we want and install it it. We don't need the Android Central app. That is mostly for AT&T phones that are locked down and prevented from installing apps outside of the market, right?
Right.

PPC 6700 > HTC Diamond > HTC Hero > HTC Evo
Old 07-30-2010, 12:31 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

mclife is becoming a great contributor

Good to know. Thanks!
Old 08-04-2010, 11:55 AM
DaGreatOne
Pocket PC: HTC EVO (white)!

shaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to shaun0207 Send a message via Yahoo to shaun0207 Send a message via Skype™ to shaun0207

Hey Guys:

I'm in the applications manager and I'm trying to disable apps I dont use at all so they dont run in the background, like FOOTPRINTS. But I dont see an options to disable.

Any help would be great

Old 08-04-2010, 06:14 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Konfuzion is halfway to VIP status based on repKonfuzion is halfway to VIP status based on repKonfuzion is halfway to VIP status based on repKonfuzion is halfway to VIP status based on repKonfuzion is halfway to VIP status based on repKonfuzion is halfway to VIP status based on repKonfuzion is halfway to VIP status based on repKonfuzion is halfway to VIP status based on repKonfuzion is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun0207 View Post
Hey Guys:

I'm in the applications manager and I'm trying to disable apps I dont use at all so they dont run in the background, like FOOTPRINTS. But I dont see an options to disable.

Any help would be great
The only solution I know of for that is to use a custom rom, but I know there are better answers out there.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:58 AM
Lurker

j2da1z0 is a n00b

Is there an app for making the ring tone and notifications louder? Cant hear the phone at full volume when it is in my pocket even when it is set at its loudest.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:23 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: EVO,TP2,Diamond

searcher61 knows their stuffsearcher61 knows their stuffsearcher61 knows their stuffsearcher61 knows their stuffsearcher61 knows their stuffsearcher61 knows their stuff

Just a small trick for people you are having trouble with the voice search dialing. Just say the name...not "Call John Smith"...JUST "John Smith". It will show all options for John Smith...cell text...home... Requires you to select the correct thing but the contact always show at the top.

You have to have Contacts turned on in your search widget..but it stops it from just dialing away without any confirmation.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:32 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G

oski is a n00b
Send a message via Skype™ to oski

did i ever thank you for this......thx.....

HTC EVO 4G...3.26.651.6 OMJ EVO 2.2 Froyo v3.0
Old 09-07-2010, 12:03 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Galaxy S II
Carrier: sprint

mac901 is just getting started
Send a message via Yahoo to mac901

i am looking for the swype app one person directed me to it and it was all good til i tried to use it and it wouldnt let me use it. does anybody have an up to date file i can use??? the link i got in the forum was from xda also
Old 09-07-2010, 08:26 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Never mind I guess this is warez, link removed.

Last edited by Konfuzion; 09-10-2010 at 03:07 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G