PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2010, 04:02 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: LTEvo
Carrier: Sprint

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: EVO Full Root & OTA ROOT|Recovery|Nand Backup/Restore|Flashing| for n00b's + Vide

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYSIANA View Post
Ok so...I ended up taking my phone & microusb to Sprint today...they swapped my cord...I drove home like a maniac...and apparently that was my problem!! If my cord wouldnt have crapped out on me halfway through...I guess I might have gotten it to work the first time! I restarted the process from the begining though just to be sure that my bad cord didnt botch any of the first few steps.

Thank you sooooooooo much for all your help!! If I could click the thank button I again I would but it only lets ya click once per post...

Now...Im running the rooted stock 1.47...next I need to figure out how to remove the Sprint bloatware that I dont use/want.
Hey that's awesome! Glad you got it.
Well now the hard part is done you can flash custom ROMS.
Why not give OMJ or Sprint Lovers a try? I know OMJ is rock solid and have heard some good things about Sprint Lovers.
Both ROM's are very Stock-esque with Sprint bloat removed.

And fyi-ANY of a users Thanks buttons are clickable...nomsayin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastRX8 View Post
I'm not totally sure what would be better...

Changing your name to "Thread Jacker" or leaving it as, is since both are very fitting.

Simperoot is far from perfected. If it works for some great, but in 3 days since it's been posted, it's had over 500 responses. Most of those are issues.
The method I described is fool-proof as long as people follow directions. Simple root doesn't work for everyone on every configuration. The original method by toast that I describe works for everyone in every situation if they can follow directions. I have yet to find one person that had an issue that wasn't user error. Even if it's just a corrupted file when they download.

Now do us all a favor. Leave this thread and start screwing-up the Simpleroot thread on XDA.
+100

Last edited by iknowsquat; 07-10-2010 at 04:18 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:58 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: TouchPro Upscaled to 800mhz + REV/B = Fast as hell
Carrier: Nimitz

Raging Idiot is keeping up the good workRaging Idiot is keeping up the good work
Re: EVO Full Root & OTA ROOT|Recovery|Nand Backup/Restore|Flashing| for n00b's + Vide

I understand that there are issues with all methods, I'm sure that even this thread isn't filled with 92 pages of only "Works Great!" responses.

The only reason this thread is obsolete is because the other method works perfectly now, and it's easier and somewhat faster. I ran through it in about the time it took to download everything plus 10 minutes.
The issues left over have work-arounds, such as "hit the refresh until it works".

This current thread was a good tutorial, even if it's by a hot headed author..but doing a search on Google I found several tutorials of similar purpose and I don't know who was first or who was best or who stole what from who-- but I really don't care now that there is an alternative that doesn't need a tutorial.

btw- your tutorial mentioned to download apps from GoogleMarket, and that opened a can of worms which led me to seek the alternative methods. There is a bug in this phone which apparently if you don't set up GoogleMarket straight out of the box then setting it up later will always (or maybe just 'sometimes') require a hard reset to get it to connect. When you couple that problem with anything else it becomes difficult to troubleshoot.

I don't know why you have a problem with giving alternative solutions, even superior ones, but I suppose you put a lot of work into this and don't want to watch it die.

Welcome to technology kid!

Raging Idiot
When you were in diapers and wetting the sheets I was out hacking with the ppcgeeks.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:51 PM
Yo, VIP - Let's Kick It!!
Pocket PC: EVO - Rooted & OMJ's Rom
Threadstarter

FastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging Idiot View Post
I understand that there are issues with all methods, I'm sure that even this thread isn't filled with 92 pages of only "Works Great!" responses.
It's full of people who missed a step, didn't read/follow directions correctly or had a corrupted file. Those issues have nothing to do w/ how this method works.

The only reason this thread is obsolete is because the other method works perfectly now, and it's easier and somewhat faster. I ran through it in about the time it took to download everything plus 10 minutes.
The issues left over have work-arounds, such as "hit the refresh until it works".
It's not obsolete because there is an alternative. By your logic, you should go into the rom threads that you don't use and tell the chefs their rom is obsolete because there is an alternative that you think is better.

This current thread was a good tutorial, even if it's by a hot headed author..but doing a search on Google I found several tutorials of similar purpose and I don't know who was first or who was best or who stole what from who-- but I really don't care now that there is an alternative that doesn't need a tutorial.
I never claimed any of this stuff was mine. I got it all from XDA. The problem was that they were written for an experienced ADB users. I had no idea what that was, so I dummied it down to simple PC terminology.
Also, Simpleroot doesn't need a tutorial because there's only 4 buttons. However, it also doesn't explain anything about rooting and it doesn't show you how to backup or restore. It doesn't show you how to use the recovery screens. It doesn't show you how to flash a custom rom.
So, to someone who is totally new to android, they can do Simpleroot, but they won't know why they did it, or what it does. They'll still be completely clueless about android and rooting. Oh and they'll be on a stock rom w/ a rooted phone which will cause them more issues until they flash a rooted rom. Which they won't know how to do because there's no button #5 to flash a custom rom.

btw- your tutorial mentioned to download apps from GoogleMarket, and that opened a can of worms which led me to seek the alternative methods. There is a bug in this phone which apparently if you don't set up GoogleMarket straight out of the box then setting it up later will always (or maybe just 'sometimes') require a hard reset to get it to connect. When you couple that problem with anything else it becomes difficult to troubleshoot.
Out of all the issues someone has posted here, no one has said they can't get back into the market to download the app I suggested. That issue exist but it hasn't happened to anyone in here after 900+ post.

I don't know why you have a problem with giving alternative solutions, even superior ones, but I suppose you put a lot of work into this and don't want to watch it die.
I have no issues w/ alternatives. In fact, I updated my thread to show people how to avoid using ADB shell by using Android Terminal on the phone and I also included/suggested they use Rom Manager. By PM, I've told people they can try simpleroot but I can't help them w/ it because I've never tried it.

Thanks, but I'd be surprised if you've been doing this longer than I. I've spent many years supervising helpdesk and as an instructor. That's why I thought it was useful to breakdown every step and explain them.

Raging Idiot
I really hope you quit posting in this thread because you're only going to cause confusion. I posted this tutorial on XDA after Simpleroot was done and have gotten a bunch of positive responses from people that think it will help n00bs. There too, only issues are people who don't follow directions or have a corrupted file.

I responded to your comments above.
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:01 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: tp
Carrier: sprint

nuxbag is a n00b

[QUOTE=winmonewbie;1858400]Butt did you wipe well? Factory reset X2, wipe dalvic X2.
What ROM are you on? OMJ and other chefs have the OTA cooked in.

thank you that did it. but new issue im new so i was playing around with the recovery and i restored google proprietary system files every thing works like i have root but it gives me $ in cmd
Old 07-10-2010, 07:16 PM
Retired Staff

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community

[QUOTE=nuxbag;1859935]
Quote:
Originally Posted by winmonewbie View Post
Butt did you wipe well? Factory reset X2, wipe dalvic X2.
What ROM are you on? OMJ and other chefs have the OTA cooked in.

thank you that did it. but new issue im new so i was playing around with the recovery and i restored google proprietary system files every thing works like i have root but it gives me $ in cmd

Great! Glad that worked.
Two options:
Type su at the $ and look at your phone, it will be asking you for Superuser permissions. Click Allow.You'll switch to #

Or you can flash the zip found here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=722583

frankenstein @XDA created the files needed for adb to have su permissions by default.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:40 PM
Retired Staff

Do we have a Perfect Post Award on this site? Fast's LAST POST gets it!

Nice job Fast.

@Raging IDIOT-you are of course free to speak your mind but you have cojones mas grande to try to insinuate that anything was "stolen".
Of course you fail because Fast has give proper credit all over his thread.

+1 on you moving on.
This is a "Drive By" Thread. Users come to get help and move on. Obviously there are some exceptions who choose to continue to help other users through this process. Please don't say that was what you were trying to do because there's no way to spin "this thread is obsolete" as being helpful.
Considering the fact that you have your solution and managed to obtain root then I don't see the point of your trolling. Now you've been asked twice by the OP to stop posting with more respect than you showed him.

Last edited by iknowsquat; 07-10-2010 at 07:42 PM.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:02 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Sprint Evo 4g

grants04 is just getting started

Finally trying to root and running into a problem. I tried a search but did not see my answer. I humbly apologize in advance if it is here. I am running .6 (very first OTA right after phones were sold) but did not do recent OTA. I "rooted" using unrevoked prior to this attempt. Will that make a difference? I did not wipe before I started the steps in the first post. I did copy the required files and extract the required places, have HTC sync, etc. I can successfully get through step 2G in version 1, 2nd process but I do not get asked a second time (2G) if I want to update. I tried it again from step 2 using the PC and also get hung up there (Step 2H for PC). What to do now??

Also, once I get through this, does anyone have some suggestions for good ROMs to start with?

Thanks for the help in advance!!

EDIT: Found a video (thanks for the post, winmonewbie) that said to skip the second update. I'm running recovery now. Hopefully it will go well from here.

Last edited by grants04; 07-10-2010 at 09:54 PM.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:50 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Verizon, HTC Trophy, Windows 7.5
Carrier: Verizon

Clem2 is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by grants04 View Post
Finally trying to root and running into a problem. I tried a search but did not see my answer. I humbly apologize in advance if it is here. I am running .6 (very first OTA right after phones were sold) but did not do recent OTA. I "rooted" using unrevoked prior to this attempt. Will that make a difference? I did not wipe before I started the steps in the first post. I did copy the required files and extract the required places, have HTC sync, etc. I can successfully get through step 2G in version 1, 2nd process but I do not get asked a second time (2G) if I want to update. I tried it again from step 2 using the PC and also get hung up there (Step 2H for PC). What to do now??

Also, once I get through this, does anyone have some suggestions for good ROMs to start with?

I'm not going to be any help with the technical stuff.... but Winmonewbie spoke about a couple good roms in post 918, 1 page back. OMJ's rom and another one (can't remember the name). I would start there for roms, after you root.

have fun.

EDIT:
from post 918, by winmonewbie;
"Why not give OMJ or Sprint Lovers a try? I know OMJ is rock solid and have heard some good things about Sprint Lovers."

Last edited by Clem2; 07-10-2010 at 09:53 PM.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:04 PM
Retired Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by grants04 View Post

I dont *think* unrevoked plays a role here.
Now that you are on the Section 2 Verision 2 Using the PC I'm going to focus on that part.
2C-Did you successfully switch the first PC36 file with the second (originally named eng-PC36IMG) by switching the names? What did you name the file?
If it scanned for the file but didnt open it then it's not named correctly.
Just a guess but a lot of users name it "PC36IMG.zip" BUT their file extensions are hidden by their PC so what they've really named it to is "PC36IMG.zip.zip"
Is that it?

EDIT:
LOL, when did I say that@ skipping Part II? Link the post please
If you are running Recovery then you have at least completed Part I or that could be from unrevoked.

Last edited by iknowsquat; 07-10-2010 at 10:33 PM.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:45 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: TouchPro Upscaled to 800mhz + REV/B = Fast as hell
Carrier: Nimitz

Raging Idiot is keeping up the good workRaging Idiot is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging Idiot View Post

I think what I said stands well on it's own merit without further clarification. Dispute it as you will, because there is no limit to the ends that a true ego-maniac will go to defend their shiny fast car image.

I didn't want to tarnish your thread of dispair, but some may think it wise to show the alternative method right at the top rather than in "Private" messages that you've claimed to send. I'll post it here again so you have easy access:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...=720565&page=1

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Tags
backup, basics, easy, evo, hboot-.076, help root, htc evo 4g, htc evo password, radio-1.36.00.04.02, recovery, restore, root, rooting, videos