PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2010, 01:24 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC TOUCH PRO2
Carrier: Sprint

tjmontan is keeping up the good worktjmontan is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: EVO Full Root & OTA ROOT|Recovery|Nand Backup/Restore|Flashing| for n00b's + Vide

winmonebie...at 5s still getting permission denied (using the pc method)..I have went back to original post and re-dowloaded all the ota root files as well the eng-pc files (renamed the eng-pc file) and placed everything back to the root of my sd card..any ideas of what could still be going on?? thanks again
Old 07-11-2010, 02:10 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: LTEvo

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community
Re: EVO Full Root & OTA ROOT|Recovery|Nand Backup/Restore|Flashing| for n00b's + Vide

Quote:
Originally Posted by grants04 View Post
winmonewbie,

I'm using the non-PC method. This is what I saw on the screen and no request to update:

SD checking...
PC36DIAG.zip
no image!
Loading PC36DIAG.nbh
no image or wrong image!
Loading PC36IMAGE.zip

Checking PC36IMAGE.zip...

Then it goes to the main HBOOT screen.
It's not seeing the file. This means its corrupt or not named correctly.
If it weren't the system would run with it even if you just ran it, that's why we have to rename it or take it off the card because evertytime we go into hboot it would be read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjmontan View Post
winmonebie...at 5s still getting permission denied (using the pc method)..I have went back to original post and re-dowloaded all the ota root files as well the eng-pc files (renamed the eng-pc file) and placed everything back to the root of my sd card..any ideas of what could still be going on?? thanks again
Your permission denied is weird. Did you ever reformat your card? That may help.

I'm not home atm so my resources are limited. Be home in a bit.
Old 07-11-2010, 02:17 PM
Regular 'Geeker

I did not reformat the card..does this process kill all my pictures and music? (can i move those files off and that back on after reformatting or could everything be corrupt?) I am going to try one more thing as I noticed every other zip file that i loaded onto my pc is able to open by clicking on it except the eng-pc zip (it will not open)..I am trying the mirror download now..if that does not work i will reformat the card as my next step..
Old 07-11-2010, 02:20 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Sprint Evo 4g

grants04 is just getting started

winmonewbie,

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP AND YOUR PATIENCE. I got frustrated that this was not working and I went ahead and used the 3 click method. Now I am rooted and in the ClockworkMod Recovery screen ready to load a custom rom. I have gone ahead and wiped from that screen (hope it did not wipe my sd card--I have it backed up though).

Now I am ready to load a custom ROM. You were going to recommend one that will preserve my 4G and had all in one so I can update radio/wimax as needed in one step. Also, I would love to get rid of Nascar and navigation, etc. but maybe keep SprintTV as Disney channel comes in handy for the kids!

Suggestions?
Old 07-11-2010, 02:41 PM
N00b

BTW, in addition to the above, I am looking for a ROM that will give me the benefits of OTA 1.47.651.1 without losing root. I'm still a noob on Android so I don't know which ROM to flash. I DO know how to click the THANK YOU button though so please feel free to point me to a good ROM. Thanks!!
Old 07-11-2010, 03:25 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: LTEvo

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by grants04 View Post
BTW, in addition to the above, I am looking for a ROM that will give me the benefits of OTA 1.47.651.1 without losing root. I'm still a noob on Android so I don't know which ROM to flash. I DO know how to click the THANK YOU button though so please feel free to point me to a good ROM. Thanks!!
Glad you got it. Simple root is just the "automatic" version of these steps. So something was going wrong in your process and Simple root did it for you. Stoked you're done and NOW the fun begins

IMO the best way to updated radio and updated wimax is to follow whitslack method. It's in my sig. It will also give you the OTA software and amon ra recovery.
Simple root should have given you an unlocked Nand. Double check your hboot version.
If so you're golden. Follow whitslacks steps, wipe and then flash the 1.47 ROM of your choice. You'll take the radio and wimax with you intact.

I havent tried a lot of ROMs but I read the threads. I'm on OMJ and it has a very stock look with the bloat removed. It's rock solid and fast. All Sprint apk's (cab's in WinMo speak) are available for reinstall. Sprint Lovers is supposedly a good one too.
ROM choice in Android is exactly like in WinMo what works for me wont for you, hence all the flashing fun
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:37 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

JeffKay is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJeffKay is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJeffKay is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJeffKay is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: Root new OTA with 4 clicks!

I tried this on two different computers, no go. Can someone post a link to the most current way to do this without this util.

Thanks
Old 07-11-2010, 03:49 PM
Regular 'Geeker

winmonewbie what would be the best route to format the sd card or should I use the simple route method like the previous post? I am hoping to get all this solved soon and again thanks for your help..
Old 07-11-2010, 04:09 PM
N00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjmontan View Post
winmonewbie what would be the best route to format the sd card or should I use the simple route method like the previous post? I am hoping to get all this solved soon and again thanks for your help..
Tjmontan,

I used the Simple Root 3 click since I had not installed the OTA 1.47. Since you have, you need to use this version of the Simple Root: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=720565 It's from jiqqaman on XDA.

If this helps you, click "Thanks". You'll be my first!

Best of luck!

Kim

Last edited by grants04; 07-11-2010 at 04:10 PM. Reason: To give jiqqaman credit
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:17 PM
Regular 'Geeker

thanks given and I am now trying to see if this will work since I have partial ota 1.47 root (stuck on 5r)...going to dig around and see if I can do this?? This 5r step is making me nuts..(i just formatted my sd card and tried step 5r again to no avail)..I am thinking maybe the eng-pcimg files are all corrupt but I am to much of a noob to know...for some reason that zip file is the only one that I can not simply click and open to look at>?>? thanks again

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Tags
backup, basics, easy, evo, hboot-.076, help root, htc evo 4g, htc evo password, radio-1.36.00.04.02, recovery, restore, root, rooting, videos