PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Evo 4G (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   EVERYTHING EVO - Latest Rooting | NAND | Flashing Roms | Wipe (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=123714)

iknowsquat 06-19-2010 02:04 PM

Re: EVO Full Root|Recovery|Nand Backup/Restore|Flashing for n00b's Instructions & Vid

Quote:

Originally Posted by buck12 (Post 1824701)
yo thanks for the help winmonewbie

Quote:

Originally Posted by buck12 (Post 1824720)
nice it worked. Now that I am rooted what else can I do when the phone is rooted?

You're welcome but my friends call me winmo :laughing6:

So you went through all the steps to full root?
Then you have the keys to the candystore. \\:D/
Check this:
http://androidcommunity.com/forums/f...-sticky-11117/

JZ* 06-19-2010 07:58 PM

Re: Rooting and Flashing EVO Instructions for super n00b's on PC's

Quote:

Originally Posted by shellguy (Post 1823769)
Some do, and some don't. Depends on your rom.

Thanks

Sorry of this is a stupid question...but which after root ROM provides a "stock/OEM" experience (as in no problems...use evo for work), but lets you have access to titanium bkup, and wireless abilities, etc?

Also...can you use your backed up home scenes after being rooted?

Riley 06-19-2010 08:43 PM

Re: EVO Full Root|Recovery|Nand Backup/Restore|Flashing for n00b's Instructions & Vid

just wanted to say thanks to fastrx and winmo for help and great thread. Finally got around to rooting my Evo and flashing a custom rom. Everything seems flawless so once again thanks guys!

Riptide9 06-19-2010 09:00 PM

Thanks for the info... You made it easy. Purchased new EVO, rooted, and flashed new rom all before noon. :mrgreen:

itouch24 06-19-2010 09:17 PM

i am waiting for the morning to say .. ok today is the day to ROOT ... just been lazy .. as of right now .. the custom ROMS .. really just get rid of bloatwear and u will be able to load custom themes in which there aren't many as of yet ... and being able to tether is the biggest factor ... an u tether from a MAC with that app on market? havent looked into as of yet

iknowsquat 06-19-2010 09:50 PM

Welcome to the party riley and rip. Happy to help. Fast has provided a tremendous service to all us Droid n00bs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JZ* (Post 1825199)
Thanks

Sorry of this is a stupid question...but which after root ROM provides a "stock/OEM" experience (as in no problems...use evo for work), but lets you have access to titanium bkup, and wireless abilities, etc?

Also...can you use your backed up home scenes after being rooted?

Quote:

Originally Posted by itouch24 (Post 1825291)
i am waiting for the morning to say .. ok today is the day to ROOT ... just been lazy .. as of right now .. the custom ROMS .. really just get rid of bloatwear and u will be able to load custom themes in which there aren't many as of yet ... and being able to tether is the biggest factor ... an u tether from a MAC with that app on market? havent looked into as of yet

IMO the current crop of ROMs looks like this-OMJ is the most stock-esque with minor tweaks. It is rock solid, been on it for two weeks and there are no hiccups. Wireless tether is included and works perfectly.
Fresh ROM is great too, tried it for a day, it has a few more tweaks for battery and speed than OMJ. I tried Fresh2 and liked it, Fast tried Fresh3 and thought it was a bit slower than OMJ.
Bugless beast looks pretty well modified-havent tried it, just read the change logs.
With nand back ups it's simple to try out something new and jump back to what you're comfortable with very easily.

There are other ROMs out there-just throwing out three examples at various levels of modification.

@JZ-Titanium back up will back up all your Sense UI settings-wallpaper, widgets, screen layout etc.

JZ* 06-19-2010 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winmonewbie (Post 1825335)
There are other ROMs out there-just throwing out three examples at various levels of modification.

@JZ-Titanium back up will back up all your Sense UI settings-wallpaper, widgets, screen layout etc.

Thanks for the update...question, since you need to be rooted prior to using titanium, I assume that all my current "pages" will be lost? not a biggy, just curious. Please let me know, and thanks again!

Mayonesa 06-19-2010 10:12 PM

ok i cant get my phone into recovery. i hit the htc sync but nothing.. i type what i have too

any ideas?

iknowsquat 06-19-2010 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JZ* (Post 1825358)
Thanks for the update...question, since you need to be rooted prior to using titanium, I assume that all my current "pages" will be lost? not a biggy, just curious. Please let me know, and thanks again!

Sorry, thought you were rooted and going from Part I to Part II-full root.
Not sure but I've heard Sprite backup is a good non-rooted app and *may* bacl up your Sense settings....if not have fun customizing once you flash :grin:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mayonesa (Post 1825363)
ok i cant get my phone into recovery. i hit the htc sync but nothing.. i type what i have too

any ideas?

Which step are you at exactly? Going into recovery for Part I or for Part II- the Nand bypass?
Just fyi-htc sync is not needed. Charge Only will work as long as USB debugging is enabled.

Mayonesa 06-19-2010 10:29 PM

i got it.. im in part 2. just forgot to rename the recovery. doing the restore now

thanks