PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Evo 4G (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   EVERYTHING EVO - Latest Rooting | NAND | Flashing Roms | Wipe (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=123714)

LoungeLizard 06-05-2010 01:13 PM

Re: Rooting and Flashing EVO Instructions for super n00b's on PC's

Quote:

Originally Posted by p-slim (Post 1793734)
Actually the revoked website is up and all you have to do is download the apk and it will root for you i think, I'm already rooted so I didn't try it unrevoked.com

Unrevoked worked great for me. I couldn't get it rooted the manual way (probably didn't understand a step). Then I just followed the OP instructions for the recovery process.

jrios3323 06-05-2010 01:42 PM

how do i know if I'm rooted or not? everything looks the same...

yang704 06-05-2010 01:43 PM

rooting will cause the camera quality to be very poor, poorer than the touch pro2.

jimmiekain 06-05-2010 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yang704 (Post 1794248)
rooting will cause the camera quality to be very poor, poorer than the touch pro2.

huhhh?? is there a way to avoid this?

FastRX8 06-05-2010 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrios3323 (Post 1794243)
how do i know if I'm rooted or not? everything looks the same...

I'm sure there are several ways to tell, but I'm no expert so I'll tell you the 1st thing I noticed.

After rooting, even before you do the recovery or flash another rom, when you connect your to the pc, you'll get something that says "USB debugging connected."

Let's say for example you connect to the pc and select "Charge only."
You'll have 2 notifications at the top left.
1 is the USB symbol that looks like a little cactus, that says, "Charge only" and
2 is a triangle w/ an exclamation mark "!" that one is "USB debugging connected."

If you installed a custom rom, you should have an app call "Superuser Permissions."

kiesow567 06-05-2010 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yang704 (Post 1794248)

I have a hard time believing this. Not saying you are lying, but where did you get this info from?

jrios3323 06-05-2010 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FastRX8 (Post 1794337)
I'm sure there are several ways to tell, but I'm no expert so I'll tell you the 1st thing I noticed.

After rooting, even before you do the recovery or flash another rom, when you connect your to the pc, you'll get something that says "USB debugging connected."

Let's say for example you connect to the pc and select "Charge only."
You'll have 2 notifications at the top left.
1 is the USB symbol that looks like a little cactus, that says, "Charge only" and
2 is a triangle w/ an exclamation mark "!" that one is "USB debugging connected."

If you installed a custom rom, you should have an app call "Superuser Permissions."

I do see that, thank you much!!!!

yang704 06-05-2010 03:04 PM

No where, I know cause I did it to my evo. Lucky I back up the orginal OS and image back to the phone. It require a special software to image back. It is a pain and in @ss. I was about to give up and call sprint and tell them some BS, but I understand is my fault so I decided to fix it. I found out that this phone have a built in micro soic chip that collect information and send to sprint every time you update profile, If they see that your phone is not using the original OS then they might contact you or send your ESN number to HTC ( possible jail time ).

meatgel 06-05-2010 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yang704 (Post 1794442)
No where, I know cause I did it to my evo. Lucky I back up the orginal OS and image back to the phone. It require a special software to image back. It is a pain and in @ss. I was about to give up and call sprint and tell them some BS, but I understand is my fault so I decided to fix it. I found out that this phone have a built in micro soic chip that collect information and send to sprint every time you update profile, If they see that your phone is not using the original OS then they might contact you or send your ESN number to HTC ( possible jail time ).

:thumbleft: is it time for the tinfoil hats again?

kgbcapthowdy 06-05-2010 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yang704 (Post 1794442)

mine is rooted and camera is great, next off you cant be introuble for rooting/hacking anything to YOUR phone. It might void warranty but its not illegal, its your property. Just like having burned dvd's isnt illegal as long as you own them. so no, and even using wifi hotspot for free on sprint isnt illegal it just against their terms of agreement and they can boot you off for it. stop misleading people