PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2010, 10:52 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO
Carrier: Sprint

Ryum is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: [TUTORIALS] EVERYTHING EVO - Rooting | NAND | Flashing Roms | for n00b's with vid

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmaine02 View Post
On step 1 are you letting the files get pushed all the way? I ask because I got inpatient (takes a bit) and just clicked step 2.make sure you get a files push complete comp lete.feel free to drop your yim or google talk id in my inbox so I can further help.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Will start from scratch tomorrow and if it doesn't work will take you up on the IM help.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:56 PM
Yo, VIP - Let's Kick It!!
Pocket PC: EVO - Rooted & OMJ's Rom
Threadstarter

FastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the community
Re: 1-click root????

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool2269 View Post
true but i'm starting to realize unrevoked can pretty much do what we can do w/ a 'toast' root.. which is flash roms (via rom manager)
NOT TRUE!!!
Unrevoked is not real rooting.
It does not unlock NAND.
Most newer roms require NAND unlock. If you're getting by w/ unrevoked, that's fine, but please don't start telling people that it can do the same things as toast method. If it was really that simple do you think toast and every other developer would emphasis doing it the right way?

Also a note about SimpleRoot
When you're doing the simpleroot method, don't start messing w/ your pc while it's happening. It's running batch files. In some cases, changing the focus of the dos window so you can surf the internet while you wait messes up the process.

Last edited by FastRX8; 07-28-2010 at 10:59 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:09 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: LTEvo

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community
Re: 1-click root????

[QUOTE=WarChild;1887691]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowsquat View Post
I know you also tried Simple root. What error messages did you get with 5S and/or with Simple root?
It wouldn't do the last step I think its the part 2.
CW
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastRX8 View Post
Also a note about SimpleRoot
When you're doing the simpleroot method, don't start messing w/ your pc while it's happening. It's running batch files. In some cases, changing the focus of the dos window so you can surf the internet while you wait messes up the process.
CW-sorry to be dense but I dont know if you are talking about the manual process or Simple root.
For the manual process Step 5S that you said you were stuck on earlier-while flashing the mtd-eng file, if it doesn't work you'll get an error-did you see one?
For Simple root-does Fast's advice apply to you?
Just clarify which process you are currently trying and what you are seeing exactly.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:38 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

Ryum is a n00b
Re: [TUTORIALS] EVERYTHING EVO - Rooting | NAND | Flashing Roms | for n00b's with vid

"Q. Why would I want to Root my EVO?
A. Rooting gives you full control over the phone. It allows you to run programs that require root permission, like "Wireless Tether for Root Users" or "Titanium Backup." It also allows you to backup/restore your rom and to load custom roms or different radios."

I read the first page of instructions and info but had a fairly simple question. After the phone is rooted, do you have to have a ROM on your SD card?

Basically I want the same UI and ect, but want to be able to change the dock on the phone for something more suitable. From what I have read on this forum to change the dock you have to root the phone. Rooting the phone for that is cool, but only makes sense if I can still have access to the same widgets and ect that are currently on the phone.

I just retried this about 5 more times trying several "fixes" from the xda thread and I still have the exact same thing, no mythic update once I am where the skating androids are on the screen. What sucks is most of the post where people are stuck seem to be stuck on step 2 trying to get to the skating androids.

Actually now that I think about it, a dock just isn't that important. It would be one thing if I was going to use tethering or stuff like that, but all of this just for a small cosmetic change is just a terrible idea. Especially after reading many pages from XDA 's thread and all the apparent crap that can occur.
I kind of started getting this feeling I am on the verge of really messing up the phone when I read,
"I really, really wish i hadn't done this.

I'm seeing 40 pages of problems here, and I'm wondering if maybe the developer on this one didn't jump the gun on calling this a stable release"

Not saying any of this is beyond my own lack of competence when it comes to this sort of tinkering, but yeah when I still am having a hard time understanding why I want to root the phone in the first place, and keep running into issues... I think it's time to hang up the spurs on this endeavor. I think when I get to the point where I want to do more than change the dock I will start looking into this again. Thanks for all the replies and info so far.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:19 AM
Threadstarter

FastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the community

@Ryum -
I'm not going to quote your entire post because yours + mine will probably crash the server.
Also, I'm not going to try to convince you to root. Everyone needs to decide if they want to do that or not.

However, I'm a Project Analyst where I work. When someone makes a blanket statement about stuff, especially when there is evidence to the contrary, I need to respond. So, I would like to clarify one thing regarding this statement;
I'm seeing 40 pages of problems here, and I'm wondering if maybe the developer on this one didn't jump the gun on calling this a stable release

Rooting, and the process of rooting, whether it's the manual method I described here or using SimpleRoot, is perfectly safe and stable.

As far as the pages of problems, let's break that down.
This thread is currently about 1300+ replies. About 200 of those are merged threads where someone started a new thread about rooting or flashing or something that was already covered here. So you can eliminate 200 post.
Of the 1100 remaining post, about 500 of those are iknowsquat and myself replying to questions or issues people have. So, that leaves us w/ 600 post. Another 100 post for the people that said, "thanks this worked" and don't forget the idiot trolls that came in and added nothing to the thread.
So we're left w/ about 500 post.
When people have an issue, they generally post several times in the thread describing what's happening and where they're stuck. Some only post 2-3x's, others post 10x's.
So on average, someone having issues will post about 5x's in a thread. (Although one posted almost 30x's w/ issues.)
So if we assume 5 post per stuck user, that's 100 users w/ issues.
Of those 100, about 90 of them were able to find their user error and eventually root their phone. Notice the emphasis on user error. Go back and check the thread. Every time someone can't root, ultimately they find that they didn't check the file sizes to make sure they downloaded correctly or they renamed the file wrong or they forgot a step.
The other 10 either gave up or are still trying to find their user error.
This of course doesn't include the countless 1,000's that have rooted their phone successfully. Just check the post count on the rom threads. Here and at XDA there are probably over 50,000 post in rom threads because all those people are rooted and running custom roms.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:05 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc evo
Carrier: sprint

itsfun is a n00b

i just got everything working! not sure what step i was messing up on but i took my time step by step and POW it works. running cyanogen's nightbuild. everything works great camera etc etc. thnks FAST RX8!!! ohh yeah i clicked thnks too!!!
Old 07-29-2010, 03:09 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Ryum is a n00b

I appreciate the reply, and yeah "beyond my own lack of competence" is probably the issue here. I am usually pretty good at this kind of stuff, and read the steps, and watched the video. When something comes up like the "no update during skating androids part" happens and I searched every page of that xda thread... and no one seems to have the exact same thing. It's hard to blame myself entirely. You'd think if I was making a common noob mistake like not putting the phone back into debug mode after reboot or something like that I'd have one of the more common issues that I have seen people post.

I still have not seen anyone really say whether or not after rooting the phone if you'll still have access to the regular widgets that are on the phone. Like I have asked about before what would be optimal would be to just take the dock off the launcher pro app, and everything else be the default set up so I could still use the default widgets I lose access to when I use launcher pro like a regular user would. It just seems like when I started it was just an exercise to see if I could, and luckily before I got finished I had enough time to think of whether I should. Now that I am there I am going to take a little more time and see if there are any roms I really want to warrant this kind of undertaking. Since I don't currently have any roms DLed I wonder what would have happened had this completed.

After more reading about this, brainstorming and ect, I actually think I could get it to work if I reinstalled the original SD card that came with the EVO, so before too long I will probably be back in here or the "themes" forum trying to put together some kind of theme or what not.

TLDR: do the default widgets works after rooting the phone? and a bunch of blah blah blah
Old 07-29-2010, 04:05 PM
Threadstarter

@Ryum -
All the default widgets work on rooted roms that have HTC Sense installed.
The widgets need HTC Sense to work, that's why they don't work w/ Launcher Pro or ADW.

Regarding your issue, you failed to mention in your previous post that you changed your sd card. So...
Problem solved
You don't have the card formated as FAT32. You probably have it formated at NTFS. Android needs FAT32 in order to see/use your card correctly.

Please report back if that fixes it.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:10 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Ryum is a n00b

It probably has more to do with the size/class as I did format it to FAT32, but yeah will post when I finally do root the phone.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:36 PM
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryum View Post
It probably has more to do with the size/class as I did format it to FAT32, but yeah will post when I finally do root the phone.
Ok, well then, I don't know.
I'm not sure how size/class would affect it as long as it was formatted correctly.
Hopefully the stock card fixes any issues when you decide to root.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Tags
backup, basics, easy, evo, hboot-.076, help root, htc evo 4g, htc evo password, radio-1.36.00.04.02, recovery, restore, root, rooting, videos