PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2010, 10:42 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: NeXus S 4G
Carrier: Sprint

Rager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Re: Root new OTA with 4 clicks!

No problems everything working fine for me, after rooting with this method I followed these steps for a stock ota for rooted users http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=715915 then went on to flash some custom roms

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipidfats View Post
any problems with 4g after using this method? i remember seeing one person mention it on xda, but don't know if that was just coincidence. Or anything else this might break? Bout to root, so just want to make sure. thanks.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Rager02; 07-14-2010 at 10:37 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:40 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

jimmyeason1980 is a n00b
Re: [TUTORIALS] EVO Full Root|OTA Root|Nand Backup/Restore|Flashing|for n00b's + vide

hey i get to the step 5S where you have to enter the big code. i put the code in but im getting no such file or directory. Im sure i prob typed the code wrong. if so can someone please help me

c:\evo-recovery>adb-windows shell /data/local/part2
part 2 is scanning
/app-cache/com.android.browser/8DC4D36D0A7DFC8CF8B82FA356E2BBF8/.foo.emD8Za
crw-rw-rw- root root 90, 2 2010-07-12 23:25 mtd1
c:\evo-recovery>adb-windows shell
$ cat /sdcard/flash_image > /data/local_image
cat /sdcard/flash_image > /data/local_image
cannot create /data/local_image: permission denied
$ cat /sdcard/flash_image >data/local/flash_imagechmod 755 /data/local/flash_ima
ge/data/local/flash_image misc /sdcard/mtd-eng.img
cat /sdcard/flash_image >data/local/flash_imagechmod 755 /data/local/flash_image
/data/local/flash_image misc /sdcard/mtd-eng.img
755: No such file or directory
/data/local/flash_image/data/local/flash_image: Not a directory
misc: No such file or directory
$
Old 07-13-2010, 12:29 AM
Yo, VIP - Let's Kick It!!
Pocket PC: EVO - Rooted & OMJ's Rom
Threadstarter

FastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the community
Re: [TUTORIALS] EVO Full Root|OTA Root|Nand Backup/Restore|Flashing|for n00b's + vide

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyeason1980 View Post
hey i get to the step 5S where you have to enter the big code. i put the code in but im getting no such file or directory. Im sure i prob typed the code wrong. if so can someone please help me

c:\evo-recovery>adb-windows shell /data/local/part2
part 2 is scanning
/app-cache/com.android.browser/8DC4D36D0A7DFC8CF8B82FA356E2BBF8/.foo.emD8Za
crw-rw-rw- root root 90, 2 2010-07-12 23:25 mtd1
c:\evo-recovery>adb-windows shell
$ cat /sdcard/flash_image > /data/local_image
cat /sdcard/flash_image > /data/local_image
cannot create /data/local_image: permission denied
$ cat /sdcard/flash_image >data/local/flash_imagechmod 755 /data/local/flash_ima
ge/data/local/flash_image misc /sdcard/mtd-eng.img
cat /sdcard/flash_image >data/local/flash_imagechmod 755 /data/local/flash_image
/data/local/flash_image misc /sdcard/mtd-eng.img
755: No such file or directory
/data/local/flash_image/data/local/flash_image: Not a directory
misc: No such file or directory
$
There's a lot of errors in that. You typed the first line wrong.
Start over on the step of typing, and take you're time.
Did you type it, or cut and paste? It is CasE SensITiVe. And the spaces have to be exactly right also.

You got past the hard part, so as long as your files are on the sdcard and you're in the adb-windows shell, the commands work.

BTW - Technically speaking, these commands can be pasted but usually people pickup an extra character or space and it doesn't work. So, you're better of typing it.

Last edited by FastRX8; 07-13-2010 at 12:34 AM.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:57 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint

wetbar is a n00b
Re: cant root, but i get to last step

I down loaded the simple root ota edition but its giving a bunch of errors.

when I hit the step 1 button it says permision denied, did not copy the files. I copied the files for it and went on with the reset.

Step 2 says "sh: cant open /sdcard/part1 press ket to continue"when I press a key the windows goes away.

Not sure what to do now. any clues?
Old 07-13-2010, 02:08 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: NeXus S 4G

Rager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: cant root, but i get to last step

By how you are writing this seems you are rushing this process from experience let me say take your time and try to understand.i finally tired using simple root it its very donor, lol.
To start off delete any files you dled for a manual root from sd card because simple root has its own.
Make sure you have htc sync.step one is just pushing the files you will need to sd card and factory reset.pushing the files takes a while so be patient and wait until it says pushing complete.
Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Old 07-13-2010, 04:36 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc evo
Carrier: sprint

oneliterkid is a n00b

wont let me type the third command "flash_image misc /sdcard...."

error reads "error writing misc. permission denied"
Old 07-13-2010, 09:12 AM
Threadstarter

FastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneliterkid View Post
wont let me type the third command "flash_image misc /sdcard...."

error reads "error writing misc. permission denied"
Which code exactly are you typing?
And which step are you on?
Old 07-13-2010, 09:48 AM
Lurker

jimmyeason1980 is a n00b

hey when i get to step 5S i get the code in right but when i boot in to recovery mode and it starts to look for the PC36IMG.Zip it tells me it cant find the image. any ideas
Old 07-13-2010, 10:08 AM
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyeason1980 View Post
hey when i get to step 5S i get the code in right but when i boot in to recovery mode and it starts to look for the PC36IMG.Zip it tells me it cant find the image. any ideas
Yes, the PC36IMG.zip file is not on your sdcard.
You probably don't have it named correctly.
It needs to say "PC36IMG.zip" it can't say "eng-PC36IMG.zip"
If you have extensions hidden on your pc, you won't see the ".zip" so if they're hidden the file was called "eng-PC36img.zip" but you saw "eng-PC36IMG" and if you typed "PMC36IMG.zip" you actually renamed it "PC36IMG.zip.zip"
Old 07-13-2010, 10:13 AM
Lurker

jimmyeason1980 is a n00b

its on my sdcard and is named PMC36IMG.zip

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Tags
backup, basics, easy, evo, hboot-.076, help root, htc evo 4g, htc evo password, radio-1.36.00.04.02, recovery, restore, root, rooting, videos