PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2010, 04:18 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: LTEvo
Carrier: Sprint

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: EVO Full Root & OTA ROOT|Recovery|Nand Backup/Restore|Flashing| for n00b's + Vide

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjmontan View Post
winmonewbie what would be the best route to format the sd card or should I use the simple route method like the previous post? I am hoping to get all this solved soon and again thanks for your help..
If you reformat then use you PC and select FATS32.
EDIT-nvrmnd see you did it already.

Quote:
thanks given and I am now trying to see if this will work since I have partial ota 1.47 root (stuck on 5r)...going to dig around and see if I can do this?? This 5r step is making me nuts..(i just formatted my sd card and tried step 5r again to no avail)..I am thinking maybe the eng-pcimg files are all corrupt but I am to much of a noob to know...for some reason that zip file is the only one that I can not simply click and open to look at>?>? thanks again
No your PC wont open that zip. Not sure why.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:27 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC TOUCH PRO2

tjmontan is keeping up the good worktjmontan is keeping up the good work
Re: EVO Full Root & OTA ROOT|Recovery|Nand Backup/Restore|Flashing| for n00b's + Vide

Winmonewbie, I am still stuck at this step and no clue what to do??? I continue to get permission denied when I type the last step of 5r-s ..Do you have any other suggestions for me..can i start over or use something different???? I just want to get this completed..thanks again
Old 07-11-2010, 07:10 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC One M8
Carrier: Verizon

Karl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Karl Send a message via Yahoo to Karl Send a message via Skype™ to Karl
Re: Root new OTA with 4 clicks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshuntersridge1 View Post
i am in need of the same help every set of instructions I have tried has not worked my gmail is jshuntersridge3
where are you stuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyoon19 View Post
stuck on step 4. it says waiting on phone...starting part 2...then nothing happens. Am I supposed to press step 2 again or does this step take long?
how many times have you tried?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffKay View Post
I tried this on two different computers, no go. Can someone post a link to the most current way to do this without this util.

Thanks
more ways to root

if your not running software 1.47 you dont have to use this method

OTA 1.47 root methods

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...&postcount=792
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=579
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=246
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...51&postcount=1

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."

This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:31 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Winmonebie...been a long long day of trying to get this full root..you have been Super for trying the many diff routes to help me..for the moment I have give up on full root..I just flashed OMJ 1.6 and I will have to figure out the radio/4g etc? I just cant get the phone to do the reboot after typing in www.tinyurl ...not sure why ( i tried those codes but no luck)..Not sure what to try next.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:45 PM
Retired Staff

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Winmonebie...been a long long day of trying to get this full root..you have been Super for trying the many diff routes to help me..for the moment I have give up on full root..I just flashed OMJ 1.6 and I will have to figure out the radio/4g etc? I just cant get the phone to do the reboot after typing in www.tinyurl ...not sure why ( i tried those codes but no luck)..Not sure what to try next.
So your issue currently is that 5P wont work? The part where you type reboot?
I ask because I thought you were having trouble with 5Q?

Like Fast said it doesnt matter but did you try the other website?
http://bit.ly/ad0pRn
Old 07-11-2010, 10:52 PM
Regular 'Geeker

now I am having some issue from 5m thru..before I was having issue with 5z (permission denied)..i can get thru early stages now ( i tried to start over and got stuck much earlier)..at least I am still partially rooted..I am gonna try again and try your suggestion about changing the $ symbol to the # with the su code?
Old 07-11-2010, 11:20 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint

wetbar is a n00b
cant root, but i get to last step

Ok I have followed the step by step post for rooting. the new software one. ( whatever that is called) I downloaded all the files no problem - type in all the comands at the adb-windows shell - no problem. Got everything the post said I would get. but when I hold down the down volume button it says loading pc36img.zip for about 2 min then says checking pc36img.zip for about 1 min then goes back to the main boot screen. I have downloaded the pc36img file 3 or 4 time with the same problem. One time I doen load it it is 175 the next time it is 170 then 150 how can it keep changing sizes? What is the correct file? Any clues?

thanks
Old 07-11-2010, 11:30 PM
Retired Staff

Quote:
now I am having some issue from 5m thru..before I was having issue with 5z (permission denied)..i can get thru early stages now ( i tried to start over and got stuck much earlier)..at least I am still partially rooted..I am gonna try again and try your suggestion about changing the $ symbol to the # with the su code?
I doubt it will work but at this point anything is worth a shot.

I've searched ALL over about the 'permission' issue and while I have seen a few posts with that issue I have not found a single solution

Honestly though Bro if you have partial root you should only need to focus on the tutorial from Step 5R forward.
If I follow the steps correctly all steps before 5R are to obtain root ("partial root") and I KNOW from 5R forward is meant to unlock the Nand ("full root") From 5R forward is essentially Toast Part II.

But then we are back to your 'permissions' issue.
I'll keep searching.
Just to refresh our memories:
You have the phone set to Charge only and USB debugging enabled?
You have unzipped the flash_image and mtd.eng files to your card and verified via the tutorial that they are the correct size?
You are typing, NOT cutting/pasting the adb codes in the mtd.eng steps? (5S)

Last edited by iknowsquat; 07-11-2010 at 11:34 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:40 PM
White Monster > Red Bull
Pocket PC: Clean S4 - Development stopped - xposed mod
Carrier: AT&T

thacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to thacounty Send a message via MSN to thacounty Send a message via Skype™ to thacounty
Re: cant root, but i get to last step

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetbar View Post
Ok I have followed the step by step post for rooting. the new software one. ( whatever that is called) I downloaded all the files no problem - type in all the comands at the adb-windows shell - no problem. Got everything the post said I would get. but when I hold down the down volume button it says loading pc36img.zip for about 2 min then says checking pc36img.zip for about 1 min then goes back to the main boot screen. I have downloaded the pc36img file 3 or 4 time with the same problem. One time I doen load it it is 175 the next time it is 170 then 150 how can it keep changing sizes? What is the correct file? Any clues?

thanks
Ok this post doesn't make much sense. But I can tell you that the file needs to be downloaded to the root of the sd card and must be the ONLY pc36img.zip on the sd card.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:46 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC One M8
Carrier: Verizon

Karl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Karl Send a message via Yahoo to Karl Send a message via Skype™ to Karl
Re: cant root, but i get to last step

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetbar View Post

thanks
Just use this http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...51&postcount=1

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Tags
backup, basics, easy, evo, hboot-.076, help root, htc evo 4g, htc evo password, radio-1.36.00.04.02, recovery, restore, root, rooting, videos